NOSValves rebuilt Scott 299b

Ray_pierrewit

It is with a heavy heart that I'm finally parting with this gem. Up for your consideration is a Scott 299b with Deluxe rebuild from Craig at NOSValves. The work was done in 2010 and the amp was sparingly used over the course of 2 years with my Forte 1 in my living room. It was taken out of my system as soon as my kids were old enough to reach it, after which it was stored in a dark and dry spare bedroom where I periodically dusted it, turned all the control knobs and flicked the switches to avoid any sort of oxidation over time. I've since hooked it up to my Fortes again and there were no surprises, nor any noisy switches or knobs, just the glorious tone and timbre of this classic piece. I've decided to sell it because my listening room is now in my painting studio which, frankly, is no place for such a fine object.

When it was in service, I primarily listened to vinyl and I can confirm that the phonostage is very pleasing. I never listened above 4 (around 11 o'clock on the dial) and regularly biased the tubes to .25 VDC (as recommended by Craig). Having said that, I cannot justly estimate the amount of hours on the output tubes. Speaking of tubes, I had ordered a fresh quad of Sovtek EL84M, which have quite the lifespan I'm told. The rectifier is a 5AR4/G734 (made in Japan), there are two HH Scott branded 6BL8 (made in France) as well as four Sovtek 12AX7LPS.

This is by no means a museum quality, or collector's piece, though it is far from being a beater, especially considering it's age. The following pictures are of the actual unit and were taken today. The Fascia is conservatively rated a 6/10, I prefer to be quit harsh in this regard as I don't intend to mislead anyone. There isn't any pitting, nor any major flaws. There is a small, barely visible ding (for lack of a better word) just below the HH Scott logo. Some lettering has vanished (around the volume knob expectedly, and for whatever reason the scratch filter?), the rest is crisp and legible, see pictures. Also, a previous owner scribed the tube numbers on the chassis, though it is so faint my camera could not pick it up. Looks like it might be pencil, but I haven'T tried erasing it All knobs are clean and shiny! No rust on the transformers... you get the picture.

I've included a copy of Craig's invoice to show just what work has been done. I remember him being quite happy that this was an unmodified piece when he received it. 

I'm asking 795$ plus shipping and whatever other fees (duties, customs or whatnot) from Québec, Canada. I prefer to stipulate that this is being sold as is. I've been honest and forthright in my description of the usage as well as condition of the unit. The pictures will confirm what I've described. I will mindfully double box this for shipping. Payment methods and shipping details to be discussed through PM.

Thank-you

Daniel 

Image1.jpg

Image2.jpg

Image3.jpg

Image4.jpg

Fair price!  

A little touch up with a Magic Eraser on the face plate would do wonders I think.  If you are gentle and don't use it too much it won't affect the lettering.  Worked for me anyway.  Might force you to change your mind about selling. Good luck! 

Yeah, I was hesitant to use a magic eraser as they are quite abrasive, I'll leave that to the next owner! Also, the faceplate condition has nothing to do with the sale, it's more of a realisation that my listening room isn't exactly compatible with tubes as it doubles as a painting studio. On a side note, upon further inspection of the uploaded photos I feel the need to specify that the pictures really exagerate any finger print and imperfection, it looks much better in person.