KSP-400 amp repair

Aswego

Hello all, I'm new to the forums but have had many years of sound enjoyment from various different sets of Klipsch. My current fav is the KSP-400. I traded 2 of my Carver CDP's to get these bad boys. So there is an issue with one of the sub amps, I have found the issue and I am quite capable of the repair but I want to know if I am buying the right replacement parts. I have looked at the other functioning amp to generate a parts list but that one has already been worked on before and I'm not sure if it has the correct parts in it any more. And because of the mis-matched caps on the functioning amp I don't think they are. So I know I need a bridge rectifier and the 2 capacitors that support the circuit, but not sure of the part numbers or values. What I would really like to get my hands on is a repair / service manual, but correct part numbers or values would be sufficient. And also if anyone has come up with mods that keep them from dying the parts list of that build would be greatly appreciated. And if this is not the right are to post this please direct to the right thread. thank you ^^

I recently bi-amped the top sections with 2 Adcom 545II's, took them off the Yamaha adventage 800, made a huge difference. a lot more detail and lower end punch. love the adcoms. now to get the sub amps straight so I can trade off my SB-12, takes up too much room.

Hey Marshall. Welcome to the forum. There are few members here that have ever seen, much less owned or heard, these speakers. You'll have to be patient for responses. I've owned 400's and 300's for years. I had 2 Klipsch subs but, as you mentioned, didn't need them so I sold the subs shortly thereafter.

The pictures are of what is supposed to be new amps. I bought them years ago 'as new' and they arrived damaged. The seller shipped them wrapped in bubble wrap in one box. They beat each other to death.

I had the pictures on my computer so they were easy to access. I may possibly have a printed service manual. I'll have to look for it. There used to be some threads here of repairs that members have made to their amps. There was a link to a service manual also. But there have been changes made to the forum over the years and posts were lost. You may search the Home Theater section and also the Technical section using 'KSP-400'. You may find something.

I'll see what I can find and let you know.

Keith

• Like 1

Well it's your lucky day, or night Marshall. I decided to dig thru a couple of Rubbermaid containers full of audio related stuff dating back 20-some-odd years. Between the Klipsch KG literature from the early 90's and the receipt for a new dustcover for my Denon DP-47F ($27.39) I found a printed copy of the Service Manual for the KSP-400's. Some KSP-400 hand out literature too. I'll copy the Manual tomorrow.

At the top of the page you should see an envelope symbol. Using it send me a Private Message including your mailing address and I'll mail you a copy. It has everything you'll need including Schematic and parts list.

I could try to scan it and e-mail it but I don't have the energy to figure out the process with the printer I have now.

Keith

• Like 1

3 hours ago, T2K said:

Hey Marshall. Welcome to the forum. There are few members here that have ever seen, much less owned or heard, these speakers. You'll have to be patient for responses. I've owned 400's and 300's for years. I had 2 Klipsch subs but, as you mentioned, didn't need them so I sold the subs shortly thereafter.

The pictures are of what is supposed to be new amps. I bought them years ago 'as new' and they arrived damaged. The seller shipped them wrapped in bubble wrap in one box. They beat each other to death.

I had the pictures on my computer so they were easy to access. I may possibly have a printed service manual. I'll have to look for it. There used to be some threads here of repairs that members have made to their amps. There was a link to a service manual also. But there have been changes made to the forum over the years and posts were lost. You may search the Home Theater section and also the Technical section using 'KSP-400'. You may find something.

I'll see what I can find and let you know.

Keith

I am always on the lookout for the 400's and the 300's . I search local Craigslist and ebay on a regular basis. when I find anything posted for them I inquire on them. I like them a lot. I also have RB 51II's and a RC-25 and the aforementioned SUB-12. I would like to trade in my rb-51's for a set of the ksp-300's

36 minutes ago, T2K said:

Service Manual/Schematic in the 1st Class Mail Marshall. Hope it helps you out.

Keith

Thank you Sir. Now I have another question. Do you have a favorite manufacturer when it comes to capacitors?

Marshall

• Moderators

I have 400s, love em.  I think my Sub Amps were the last pair that the Klipsch service department did before they outsourced their repairs.

@Trey Cannon ran their service departmemt for a time, he showed me the way the amps were mounted and I believe he indicated the common problem was that the parts that were common to fail were that heavier ones that were horizontal to the ground.  Too much stress over too much time. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dwilawyer said:

I have 400s, love em.  I think my Sub Amps were the last pair that the Klipsch service department did before they outsourced their repairs.

@Trey Cannon ran their service departmemt for a time, he showed me the way the amps were mounted and I believe he indicated the common problem was that the parts that were common to fail were that heavier ones that were horizontal to the ground.  Too much stress over too much time. 

Did you figure out a way to alleviate the stress on the components? maybe turn the amp 90 or 180 degrees. . Or should I just keep spares on hand?

59 minutes ago, Aswego said:

Thank you Sir. Now I have another question. Do you have a favorite manufacturer when it comes to capacitors?

Marshall

I've never had my KSP-400 amps worked on Marshall. There is a local tech near me that I will use when I get around to pulling one speaker amp that has a slight buzz. Maybe DeanG will jump in here and offer a little advice.

On ‎3‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 5:58 PM, T2K said:

Service Manual/Schematic in the 1st Class Mail Marshall. Hope it helps you out.

Keith

Keith the Service manual arrived today. Thank you so very much. ^^  I have also been talking to a repair friend of mine on Audiokarma and he recommended a little over building on the power supply side of the amp, which is what I'm dealing with. I hope to have the speaker up and running soon. I will be ordering the parts this Friday. I was wondering what the rules are for posting these as a pdf file for those that will need them. It upsets me when looking for manuals and only being able to find them on Ebay for 20 or 30 bucks. So I would like to make these and my other Manuals available for others if it is possible to do so.

Thank you

Marshall ^^

3 hours ago, Aswego said:

Keith the Service manual arrived today. Thank you so very much. ^^  I have also been talking to a repair friend of mine on Audiokarma and he recommended a little over building on the power supply side of the amp, which is what I'm dealing with. I hope to have the speaker up and running soon. I will be ordering the parts this Friday. I was wondering what the rules are for posting these as a pdf file for those that will need them. It upsets me when looking for manuals and only being able to find them on Ebay for 20 or 30 bucks. So I would like to make these and my other Manuals available for others if it is possible to do so.

Thank you

Marshall ^^

Good deal Marshall. Glad to help. In the past someone posted a link to the manual here but during forum software updates a lot of older posts were lost. I searched for the post last week but could not find it, apparently it was part of the lost posts.

Not being a computer guru I'm not sure how best to preserve the information. Maybe the moderator @CECAA850 will chime in with suggestions. Otherwise, members helping members is better than paying ridiculous prices for free information that was provided by Klipsch.

If you have the time when you have amp serviced, post here the work you performed and your listening impressions.

Good luck!