Sansui AU 717 Sansui TU 717

oldred

Those are some beautiful pieces George.  If they are in nice condition, not bad for an exceptional combo.  The first time I heard the KLF 20 and 30, it was on a vintage Sansui combo.  I called up the guy the next day and ask what kind of tube amp was that and he told me it was the Sansui SS amp combo.  That sound sticks in my head today after 5 years.

If everything is working and it has been in use, I would just give it a listen for a couple of weeks.  I don't think you need to rush out and start replacing caps.

32 minutes ago, oldred said:

Well it wasn't meant to be......Went to do demo ....the guy had it running...sounded great ....powered it down and then back up.....no right channel.

That's always my fear with electronics more than 20 years old.  Because of history we know what was good and what was junk, but if you buy those great vintage amps/rec etc and it quits working it could be very costly to get it running again.

I like old speakers but not old amps, even the great ones.

I think you just dodged a very expensive bullet.

I think you made the right decision.

I rushed and purchased Sansui DB9090. Same problem, no right channel. Later I find out that main pot need replacing and that thing proves to be very hard to find. May be there would be the chance to repair it, but I am still awaiting the offer from the repair shop about that. I have no illusion that repair if possible will be expensive.

My understanding is that AU 717 is better built than 9090, but still...

I have the au-719 & its a great amp & gets very good reviews, but it also had a touchy right channel, luckily it was just the volume pot that needed to be cleaned.  I have had a few vintage integrated amps that had pot issues, luckily they all cleaned up with some deox-it.  Also have the tu-717 & its very nice but a couple display lights burnt out, i plan to replace them soon.  i've always like the vintage sansui gear.