Which is a better buy for a 2 channel system? Heresy, Quartet or KG 4?

Derrick

Hi, 

In my area I can pick up a set of Heresy's for $750, a pair of Quartet's for $550 or KG 4s for $400. They are all in good condition. The Quartet's have Crites crossovers and ti tweeters. For a 2 channel system in a medium sized room which do you think would be a better choice given the prices? The music played would mostly be 70's rock. Are these a decent deal or wait for something else?

Thanks for the opinions.

Derrick 

17 hours ago, Frzninvt said:

All are overpriced.  Wait for a better deal KG4's $150-$225 tops, Quartet's $250 - $400 range, Heresy's depending on year, finish & condition $250 - $550.  YMMV The Quartet's would get my vote as well.

Keep in mind that he stated "in my area"...which means he can do a local pickup instead of needing to pay for shipping...or needing to drive a long way to get them...Shipping  can run another 100 bucks to way more than that...and...driving a long distance to get them can be as costly or more than the shipping costs.  Also, "in my area" means that he can go look at them/listen to them prior to the purchase commitment.  Sometimes it is just BETTER all the way around to suck up the extra item-cost of a local purchase item than it is to wait for a lower price elsewhere.

• Like 6

Regardless of "in his area" ...  the heresys are WAY overpriced & usually are.  For $750 you can get forte (2) or even chorus (2).  & $750 is overpriced for fortes too IMO.  Heresys may be nice speakers but are known for lacking bass & just dont compare to the quartet, forte or chorus.  

My vote from those options would be the quartet, hands down. Its a better speaker all around & cheaper based on the prices listed.  But unless you're in a big hurry I would hold out for awhile for fortes, they come up for sale pretty regulalry, just because something is close to you doesnt justify spending hundreds more than what its worth, driving a couple hours wont cost $100 or more than shipping as stated earlier.     

Thanks for the opinions guys. Much appreciated. 

I am watching the Quartets which I think are a decent deal if in good shape.

I am not in a rush so I'll see what comes available in my area. My area is Ottawa Canada so supply can be tight and it can be a very long drive to go and see items. There is a pair of Chorus 2's in Thunder Bay I would like to see but that would be a 32 hour round trip drive. Needless to say shipping is prohibitively expensive. 

3 hours ago, klipschfancf4 said:

Regardless of "in his area" ...  the heresys are WAY overpriced & usually are.  For $750 you can get forte (2) or even chorus (2).  & $750 is overpriced for fortes too IMO.  Heresys may be nice speakers but are known for lacking bass & just dont compare to the quartet, forte or chorus.

My vote from those options would be the quartet, hands down. Its a better speaker all around & cheaper based on the prices listed.  But unless you're in a big hurry I would hold out for awhile for fortes, they come up for sale pretty regulalry, just because something is close to you doesnt justify spending hundreds more than what its worth, driving a couple hours wont cost $100 or more than shipping as stated earlier.    

It appears the prices he has posted are in CANADIAN dollars.

• Like 1

I am in Montreal.  Be patient.. something better priced will show up.  Someone was selling KLF30s for $500Cnd.. not long after I got my KLF20s. Deals can be had if you wait!

I have a pair of Tangent 400s  bascially Heresy II in a larger vented cabinet if you want them. 

The Quartets seem to be the best deal by far from what you describe, especially considering they already have the Crites updates which would cost you near the asking price alone. The Heresy II's would be my second choice out the three listed but the asking price is just too high in my opinion and you'd likely want to add a sub which would set you back even more. Of course if Chorus II's are in the realm of possibility I'd definitely go that route as they are (in my opinion) the ultimate Rock speaker.  

• Like 1

Man, with all the gushing Quartet comments I think I'll just keep mine. They just sit after stints with KHorns and now Jubes so I'm sure the presentation will be "somewhat" smaller with the Q's. But with all this talk I think I'll have them join the party when I shuffle amps. But if sonic memory serves I do believe the RB75's/sub combo prevailed for my ears. I do know that whenever I mentioned selling them here they went unnoticed even when offering them at Hope. Guess they are already home --

^^^^^

Well curiosity got the best me and the Quartets are a playin'. Same 50 watt Peter Daniel gainclone chip amp I was using over the weekend with Jubes. When people speak of "signature or family sound" from a speaker brand it is certainly evident here. No need to describe the obvious physical difference of the Jube / Q or a two vs. three way but the overall sound is remarkably similar. I'm actually shocked how good the Q's sound since I have been listening to KHorns for a couple years and now Jubes.

These are stock Quartets, OE crossovers. This is actually kind of crazy --- but no, the Jubes are not for sale! And probably not the Quartets now!

• Like 3