Chorus II project

snooka3000

34 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

Completely agree.  Watco Rejuvenating Oil

Is rejuvenating Oil from Watco necessary for me after recent applications of Watco Danish Oil?  It seems like it's more for older furniture.  Will it make a difference for me?

After you are done with the tinted Danish Oil, I would certainly recommend the rejuvenating oil, which is clear and works to feed the wood.  After a couple of applications over the course of a day or two, I think you will realize the benefit.  Get a small can, and apply a light coat every once in a while.

• Like 1

Also does anyone have recommendations for an edge band veneer(preferably a stick on) that could fit the Chorus II? 

I have 1 edge band veneer that is just way too far gone for me to try and fix with wood filler.  Looks hideous and needs to be replaced.

***snooka, I really hope you don't mind me posting in your thread instead of creating my own. I was hoping we'd both benefit from 1 thread where we can ask all the questions and get the answers we need in 1 place.***

1 minute ago, jimjimbo said:

After you are done with the tinted Danish Oil, I would certainly recommend the rejuvenating oil, which is clear and works to feed the wood.  After a couple of applications over the course of a day or two, I think you will realize the benefit.  Get a small can, and apply a light coat every once in a while.

Okay great, I will check out Home Depot this evening.   Will I benefit from using a power buffer?  I don't know why I am so anxious to use it.

7 minutes ago, Maximus89 said:

Also does anyone have recommendations for an edge band veneer(preferably a stick on) that could fit the Chorus II? 

I have 1 edge band veneer that is just way too far gone for me to try and fix with wood filler.  Looks hideous and needs to be replaced.

I have had very good results with Band-it veneer products, specifically the heat bond. One nice feature is you can reposition it after it is applied, which makes matching corner 45 cuts a snap.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Maximus89 said:

***snooka, I really hope you don't mind me posting in your thread instead of creating my own. I was hoping we'd both benefit from 1 thread where we can ask all the questions and get the answers we need in 1 place.***

No worries, I'm glad you are keeping this thread going.  I plan on working on my cabinets tomorrow and will be posting pictures!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Maximus89 said:

Okay great, I will check out Home Depot this evening.   Will I benefit from using a power buffer?  I don't know why I am so anxious to use it.

You don't need a power buffer.  Make the application, let it sit for 10 to 15 minutes, than wipe off by hand, then buff with a soft cloth.  Then use another cloth for the final buff out.

• Like 1

Finished the first round of cabinet work today.  

Used Howard's restore and finish with 0000 wool followed by Howard's feed and wax.  The pictures don't give justice to the difference it made.  My photo skills are pretty weak.  

The risers are in rough shape.  Defientely took on some moisture at some point in their lives.   I did the best I could - may decide to take another swing at the risers down the road. 

All that is left now is patching the passive woofer, deciding on badges (eBay original or buy new style from Klipsch???), and waiting for crossovers and tweeters to arrive from Bob Crites!

Thanks for everyone's help!

IMG_3608.JPG

IMG_3609.JPG

• Like 1

It's tough to see in the pics (at least on my phone), but as long as you can see a huge difference, then you did a great job. What is wrong with the risers? Please describe the problem and post a close up of one of the risers.

Before:image.thumb.jpg.d76314dd9e11379b106a3e57ae565da3.jpgCongrats on the cabinet looking nicer snooka and on your new crossovers. 

I finished one and about to start the other. I really regret not just buying another wood filler to properly fill in the broken off veneer areas. I have 1 full edge band that needs to be replaced and I'll probably go with band-it.  I also need to find 10 of the screws that go in the mid horn.

Also need to do the rejuvenating oil, but I'll do that next time I take everything out to do the passive mod of adding 2.5oz and getting Titanium mid Diaphragms and Crites crossovers. 

After I sand all the black finish out of the next cabinet and put 1 coat of Danish Oil tonight, I'll move on to the risers. Not sure what to do with them. Getting the black out of the top section is really hard for some reason even with 100 grit sandpaper. I want them to look presentable for now til I can get someone to build custom risers. Wanted to go with all of it sanded raw so I could do the same walnut danish oil, bc that black strip of the riser gives it an outdated look imo.

IMG_1397.thumb.JPG.fcee9c4216e4750153737c6f3089c7d5.JPGIMG_1398.thumb.JPG.56e42cdbaceac57ca4e3ebf10434abfe.JPG

Don't try to sand the black out of the curved piece of the risers, you won't find a pretty veneer. If anything, sand it a little bit, and put a fresh coat off black matte spray paint. Trust me, the black curved piece really looks nice between the risers and the cabinets.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, dtr20 said:

Don't try to sand the black out of the curved piece of the risers, you won't find a pretty veneer. If anything, sand it a little bit, and put a fresh coat off black matte spray paint. Trust me, the black curved piece really looks nice between the risers and the cabinets.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Yeah..just not my kind of riser.  I guess I've got no choice either way.  The veneer on the riser I just took off is pretty badly chipped. The speaker looks so much better without that riser, but it's so short without it. In the future, I want to do a riser in the style of the Heresy III but no slant.

That is the proper grills for the chorus 1, chorus 2, and forte 2. I haven't seen forte 1, but I would guess they would be the same. My guess is if you bought your fortes used, someone replaced the grill material. We actually need to replace the grill material for my father's chorus b's, but we are having trouble finding the proper replacement material.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Maximus89 said:

Yeah..just not my kind of riser.  I guess I've got no choice either way.  The veneer on the riser I just took off is pretty badly chipped. The speaker looks so much better without that riser, but it's so short without it. In the future, I want to do a riser in the style of the Heresy III but no slant.

Risers are pretty easy to fix . Either remove all old veneer with heat gun and scrapper ....or just remove the bad parts and fill in with filler or bondo....then reveneer.

Ordered pressure sensitive veneer from Rockler

Here a a few shots of a pair of Quartets I did last year. This pair the risers were originally oak

George,

WP_20151203_16_53_20_Pro.jpg med.jpg

WP_20151203_16_56_59_Pro.jpg med.jpg

WP_20151205_14_45_57_Pro.jpg med.jpg

• Like 2

Ahh, now I know what you mean. That will be tough. The easiest way to fix it, would be sand it smooth and spray with a black primer and then a black spray paint. My chorus 2's had similar issues. One set of risers absorbed so much water, that it became spongy. I ended up making a new set of risers out of birch plywood using my table saw and router. My chorus 2 restore isn't finished yet.