Monoprice HDMI Recommendation and Chase Advice

Youthman

• Moderators

Helping a friend build a home theater.   Grant is building his home so we will be running his cables next Thursday before they install the drywall.

I haven't purchased an HDMI cable since I built my home theater several years ago.  Since then, Monoprice now has several different series of cables.  I have what they are now calling their "Commercial Series" which is the massively thick cable that takes 2' to make a 90 degree turn.  LOL.

At one time guys were recommending their Redmere Series but I'm not seeing that now.

Grant's room is 13' x 18'. 

I'm thinking of going with a 40' Select Active Series with Redmere HDMI Cable.  Is there a better option?  He will likely be buying a non-4k projector similar to my Panasonic AE8000u. 

Also should we install a piece of PVC pipe (chase) in the front wall and run the HDMI Cable and surround speaker wires through it so that down the road, he can easily upgrade the HDMI cable as technology changes?  He will eventually have a false wall but that will be down the road as money becomes available.  I figured for now, let's make it a clean install in case the false wall never happens.

On any cable over 15' go for the best.    Then check it with the control and the slave units before installation.    I just finished building a theater from scratch and installing cable behind the wall.    After they were installed I found two of the long HDMI cables just would not work with my 90 inch Samsung. [These were top of the line cables costing like almost $200 bucks.]   I checked these before installation with my small 25 inch monitor and they worked fine.   Who knows why but once I got the large TV it just would not work with the cables that worked fine with the monitor.        Lot of work to pull and replace.   Need to make sure it works with the actual electronics before you seal the wall.

Conduit:    If you are really thinking of a possible later removal and pull make your corners 45 degrees.   My 90 degree corner turned out to be an absolute problem.    Since I could get behind the wall [nearly a whole day of hot nasty work]  I changed it to two 45s, pulled my two new cables and it now works like a charm.     

P1070774.JPG