A herd of moose...

Coytee

So this morning, I'm in my car around 6:00 A.M., heading out to Nashville to see the Doctor at Vanderbilt.  Driving down my little road (about 1 1/2 lanes wide with trees on the side of road, making it look at times like you're driving down a tunnel through the trees)

All the sudden, (and I mean this all happened in about 15 nano-seconds)  This gigantic moose jumps out from the right side of the road (the side the lake is on) and starts to get in front of my car.  I immediately react and hit the brakes.  My first thought was "OMG, there's a deer....and where there is one deer dumb enough to jump in front of you, there's another"

Suddenly, there was a second and third moose...

My brain is looking at these animals saying look out for the deer however, those aren't deer....OMG, they're MOOSE!!  (for plural, would it be Meese?) :rolleyes:

Then in another nano-second I realize "hey stupid....we don't have moose around here"...

Then it dawned on me

The neighbors cows had gotten out of the fence and evidently gone down to the lake (maybe they were midnight skinny-dipping for all I know)

They were all black cows and you could hardly see them.

So they all three get in front of my car "running" to the degree a cow can run...then they started to the left and started to climb up the embankment on the left side of the road (back up to their farm) 

Now I'm looking at them thinking "you can't do that....you're COWS dummy's.....not goats!!"

They each jumped up and climbed something that I would have never thought they'd be able to....or, if they did, they'd have to slowly and steadily work their way up.  They actually got up there in rather impressive fashion.

I was waiting for one of them to slip and fall back to the road, perhaps crushing me in the car...  so I scurried past them once the road was clear.

They weren't there when I got home but now, I have a good idea where the midnight skinny dipping party is.

Strange indeed. Last week I was returning home with my wife after a long trip to Nashville for an audio equipment deal. Drove straight up and straight back in the same day. Made it almost home, about 4 in the morning.  A very large owl flew in front of the truck, barely missed him, within the next 30 minutes almost hit a possum, a armadillo and 2 deer ran in front of me. I was completely  ragged out from the long day. It honestly felt like We were in an episode of the twilight zone.    

Cows disguised as moose, that are cloaked in black, skinny dipping in the lake, taunting you in your vehicle, with goat like capabilities?  Cows with an attitude, I love it.  We had a bull once that pushed out of the pen and went wandering in the woods.  My Grandpa went and got it.  He had to hook him to the back of the '76 Chevy 3/4 Ton, 2WD, 'Old Red' we called her, and drag the bull back to the pen.  It was a sight.  It was mostly sand where we lived and I'm damned if that bull didn't hold that truck in place for awhile.

As far as the moose goes, you know when you see one.  I travel all over the Inland Northwest.  I was coming back from Montana, just east of Missoula, come around a corner in the mountains doing about 70 and there she stood on the right side of the road.  I'm in the outside lane heading westbound and she was just outside of the lane.  I'm driving a Dodge Sprinter van and she was looking in my windshield.  My head sat about 6' tall or higher in the van and we were eye-to-eye.  I thought to myself, if I would have hit her I would have had about 1,000 lb of animal in my lap.  I almost needed new drawers.    

• Like 1

I was working in North Dakota doing FTTH . Went outside to relieve myself because the next neighbor is miles away, find a nice tree to stand by. Start going look over and right next to me was this calf . I started screaming and leaving a yellow stream as I ran. The guy I was working with was at the truck laughing so hard he was crying after he realized what was going on . She was very young but huge ! Much taller than me . In the pic she was several yards behind me and doesn't look that tall.58d5c4280b6c6_Android2015.thumb.jpg.1c78cb12d2d839629726eb1f4066219b.jpg

• Like 2