Floorstanding speaker distance from wall.

audionoob1

Looking for a new home theater setup and heard the RP-260F lineup in store. They sound amazing. The problem I have is one of the towers is going in the corner of my basement wall. It will have to sit tight against the side wall and will be roughly 8 inches from the rear wall. The walls are drywall, floor is carpet and the room is roughly 2300 cubic feet. Plan on going with the R-112SW, RP-440C and RP-240S with a Denon X3300-W.  I'm concerned whether having the tower in the corner will affect the bass too much. My question is, is it okay to stick with the RP-260F 8 inches form the rear wall or should I opt for the RP-250F instead giving me 11 inches from the rear wall?

10 minutes ago, audionoob1 said:

My question is, is it okay to stick with the RP-260F 8 inches form the rear wall or should I opt for the RP-250F instead giving me 11 inches from the rear wall?

I see the biggest issue is not the bass reinforcement (which you can EQ down using room correction firmware like Audyssey, etc.), but rather early midrange reflections from that side wall that will affect the stereo imaging.  I'd place some absorption material on the side wall next to the RP-260F, at least 2 feet horizontally by 2 feet vertically centered on the woofer/midrange cones.

Chris

2 minutes ago, Chris A said:

I see the biggest issue is not the bass reinforcement (which you can EQ down using room correction firmware like Audyssey, etc.), but rather early midrange reflections from that side wall that will affect the stereo imaging.  I'd place some absorption material on the side wall next to the RP-260F, at least 2 feet horizontally by 2 feet vertically centered on the horn's mouth.

Chris

I really only have 10 inches of room for the 9 inch 260F but the 250F would give me 3 inches extra space. Thanks for the suggestion and I will be putting some absorption material on the wall. Was planning on backing down to the 250F but found the 260F online for just $30 more (tough to pass up). Would the spacing requirements really make any difference on sound quality regardless of which tower I choose? What would be your tower suggestion?

Just now, audionoob1 said:

Would the spacing requirements really make any difference on sound quality regardless of which tower I choose?

Those suggestions on placement spacing from the walls are just that: suggestions.  If you have enough area behind the loudspeaker to match the port area, you've got enough spacing for the port requirements.  The only effect that occurs is greater coupling to the front wall, which will give you a greater output, not less.  That's part of why Audyssey, et al. are in business--to correct those type of differences in frequency response due to the room, loudspeaker placement and listening position placement within the room (i.e., at least three variables there).

5 minutes ago, audionoob1 said:

What would be your tower suggestion?

The biggest one that you can afford and still get into your listening space, assuming that you can put a little 1" thick absorption on the side walls that are within 36-45 inches of the woofer/midrange cones, and enough space behind them to make sure that the rear-mounted reflex port is not compressed by the close spacing to the front wall.

Chris

18 minutes ago, Chris A said:

That's part of why Audyssey, et al. are in business--to correct those type of differences in frequency response due to the room, loudspeaker placement and listening position placement within the room

That's why I've decided to go with the X3300-W and the Audyssey XT32.

18 minutes ago, Chris A said:

The biggest one that you can afford and still get into your listening space, assuming that you can put a little 1" thick absorption on the side walls that are within 36-45 inches of the woofer/midrange cones, and enough space behind them to make sure that the rear-mounted reflex port is not compressed by the close spacing to the front wall.

While I can afford the 260F, you've convinced me to go with the 250F instead. I don't want to compromise sound quality over getting a larger speaker. There will be a lot more compression with the rear port of the 260F than the 250F.

Thanks a lot for your help! Much appreciated.