WTB - 807 Tube Amplifier

mrquery

Hi All, I just bought this amp and they are wonderful sounding to say the least thus I am looking to get a match.

They are currently running mono in the other setup hooked via digital front end.

The guy I bought this from replaces this with MC30 as what he said.

I am wondering if anybody here have something like this that they are willing to let go.

I was told this puts out about 20 watts. Other than that the only thing I know about this amp is that it uses RCA 807 (output tubes), RCA 5z3 ( rectifier) and Sylvania 56 (driver?). I am not sure if there are any tubes here that can be swap or use as an alternative / replacement but do PM me for offers.

Also appreciate if anybody can tell me a bit more information or history about this amp, thanks.

Webster 807 Tube Amplifier .50.png

Thanks, appreciate it much. Although, I have very limited tube amp experience from PP el84/6bq5 (which is now running mono Parallel PP strapped together to get twice as much power), 7189, SE el34 and some encounters of 845, 300B, 6550 / KT88 (which are way above my current budget) I must say the 807 sounded good indeed.

Anyway, the Grease cast including Olivia together with John is on the floor/carpet because I don't have a dedicated shelving for my records, I just hope they don't catch a cold or something.

UP^

1 hour ago, OtisCampbell said:

Be VERY careful around those top caps - those are the plate connections and at several hundred volts... nice blue glow!

Thanks, are you referring to the filament on the 807?

1 hour ago, mike stehr said:

Looks like a tone cabinet amplifier...like an older Webster or something.

Based on my limited research there are several hammond amplifier that look exactly like this. Although they are of 2a3 output tubes. Furthermore several hammond amps are previously made by webster and rauland. If looked up at ebay webster are also allen brand of tube amplifier. The search is on.

Here is how it look down under. UP^

Webster 807 Tube Amplifier Logo .50.png

2 hours ago, mrquery said:

Although they are of 2a3 output tubes. Furthermore several hammond amps are previously made by webster and rauland.

I have pair of these amplifiers that look the same as yours. I think they are Hammond or Webster.

Both are I think push-pull parallel, with four 2A3, a pair of 56, and a 5Z3 rectifier.

I also have three or four Hammond 6V6 PPP tone cabinet amps, and a couple 6BQ5 cabinet amps with reverb tanks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mike stehr said:

I have pair of these amplifiers that look the same as yours. I think they are Hammond or Webster.

Both are I think push-pull parallel, with four 2A3, a pair of 56, and a 5Z3 rectifier.

I also have three or four Hammond 6V6 PPP tone cabinet amps, and a couple 6BQ5 cabinet amps with reverb tanks.

Mike, have you used these amp? How does it sound to you? I asked because my tech told me that I better get kinkless tetrode for better linear frequency response. But I did try the 807 and to cut the story short I am now on the hunt for another one.

Would you know if your 2a3 amp can be swapped to 807 on the fly? Or does it need to be rewired? I haven't heard of any 2a3 thus I am leaning on the 807 side. Do you have photo of the said amps?

I am not familiar with "Hammond 6V6 PPP tone cabinet amps, and a couple 6BQ5 cabinet amps with reverb tanks" though.

Indeed webster electric 807 amplifier.

Top caps probably running at about 450-650v. 

At 650v running an AB2 you can get nearly 70-100w out of a pair.  However I would imagine these are being driven pretty mildly.  Maybe 25-30w.

I would guess its from an organ or jukebox.

Might want to check the bias on those tubes.  Could be the exposure in the shot but the excessive florescence can indicate too much idle current.  But I have had 807s that always do that even when biased properly.

Cool amp.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, mrquery said:

Would you know if your 2a3 amp can be swapped to 807 on the fly? Or does it need to be rewired? I haven't heard of any 2a3 thus I am leaning on the 807 side. Do you have photo of the said amps?

2A3 cannot swap for 807... the only thing you would be able to reuse between the amps is the chassis (and maybe the vintage components if that's your fetish). 

On 3/27/2017 at 8:13 PM, mike stehr said:

Mike, are these 2a3 one of those amps that dictates the genre of music best listened too? If yes, what is best genre listened to it?

Up^

The 2A3 PPP tone cabinet amplifiers I have are stored, and would to be put back into service. One of them somebody had worked on, with some re-capping. The other is stock. 2A3's are not cheap, so they have been just sitting.

I'm not sure Webster or Hammond made a tone cabinet amplifier using 807. I think that amplifier was modified as a push-pull 807.

Here's a schematic that's rather close to what I have. I'm also not sure if my amplifiers require field coil speakers...I think some of the older models were set-up for field coil drivers, with the newer versions for permanent magnet speaker drivers.

As an tone cabinet amplifier, they have a preamplifier for proper input/gain.

The Allen organ company made a push-pull 6L6, and a push-pull 6550 amplifier. They are beasts, with gobs of power...more than plenty for Klipsch. I've heard a Webster 2A3 PPP amplifier once powering a Jensen 12" field coil speaker, and I do remember that excellent midbass/bass sound...

A good 2A3 amplifier should play any genre of music...there are exceptions...such as grindcore/deathmetal...

poweramp_tc_a20_thru_typef.jpg