Ideal speaker Placement

powdermnky007

I have two RF-5's. 15 feet between speakers and 10-12 feet from the speakers to my listening location (like the picture). The Circle is my listening location & the two X's are the speakers. SHould the speakers be angled directly at my listening location or angled more towards the walls or straight with the walls. Also how far should they be from the walls (side & back) the dealer said 6" from both walls. But i know the people here know BEST. Thanks for the help guys

-Justin

angle them so that the tweeter is aimed at you. at least that is what seems to work best to me esp. when you are using horns.

here is a pretty good site about this

http://www.immediasound.com/Speakersetup.html

------------------

-justin

SoundWise

promediatech@Klipsch.com /1-888-554-5665 - RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5s>

Email Me

rf-3's are recommended to be 2' from all walls, not 6". i also heard that if you are 12' away, the speakers should be roughely 12' apart.

------------------

MY SYSTEM

Mains: Klipsch RF-3II

Center: Klipsch RF-3II

Rear L/R: Polk R40 bookshelves(suck)...soon to be Klipsch RS-3II

Subwoofers: Dual SVS 25-31CS

Subwoofer Amp: Fidek 3002 600w

Receiver: Harmon Kardon AVR520

CD Player: Cambridge D500SE

DVD Player: JVC XV-D723 Progressive Scan

TV: Toshiba 32A42 32"

I'd just put them where they sound best to you, and not worry about where they "should" go. Experiment! Trial and error! That is what being an audiophool is all about. And that's how you learn. Plus, it's fun.cwm16.gif

------------------

JDM

'98 klipschorns, Infinity SM-120's (surr.)

Dynaco QD-2

Sennheiser HD-580's

Sony TA-F606ES int. amp.

Sony ST-S550ES tuner

Sony CDP-X33ES CD player

Sony DTC-75ES DAT recorder

Sony PS-LX510 turntable w/ Audio-Technica AT-216EP cartridge

Akai HX-A3 cassette decks>

A rough start is to form an equilateral triangle image with the speakers and your listening position the triangle points. I've read that some horn speakers should be pointed straight ahead, vs. toe'ed in to the sweet spot. Only your speakers in your room can be enjoyed by you. Speaker placement is the cheapest tweak available, but 6" from the wall is too close.

------------------

Turntable - Pro-Ject 2.0

Phono Preamp - Parasound PPH-100

PreAmp - ASL AQ2004DT

Amp - ASL Wave 8 mono blocks

Receiver - H/K AVR-210

DVD - Sony DVP-S360

Mains - KLF-20

Center - KLF-C7

Surrounds - Optimus Pro LX-10

Sub - Yamaha YST-SW160

Reinforcement - JBL 4638

I agree with JWADD21. Being rear-ported, the speakers will need to be way from the rear wall at least 2' (or more) or bass peformance will be affected-- not by loss of extension, but by more of a mono-tonal, wooly sound. Your dealer either lied, or he doesn't know what he's doing. He may have been selling used cars last week :-)

HDRBuilder is right too. Placement will depend on your room's acoustics and ultimately, your own taste.

***Soapbox time. It's unfortunate that the Klipsch line is generally not found in "real" audio shops where the owners/salespeople know quite a bit about component synergy, set-up, etc. Here in Metro Atlanta, the only Klipsch dealers are Hi-Fi Buys (Tweeter-owned) and another HT-oriented dealer with a couple smaller shops. In both shops, getting anything close to a single speaker demo is impossible. The Reference series "ain't that cheap" and IMO warrants a better demo than these guys offer.

Perhaps Klipsch should implement dealer "tiers" similar to what AudioQuest did several years ago. While the AudioQuest line was available to most dealers, their upscale AudioTruth line was available to only the shops carrying pricier components. Of course, Klipsch would then have to change the marketing of their products and start promoting the Heritage line as the State-of the-Art speakers they are. Much of the above is why it took me so long to finally really consider the Klipsch speakers.

------------------

2 Channel

Transport: CEC TL-2X

DAC: Audiomat Maestro

Pre-amp: Wyetech Jade

Amps: Jeff Korneff 45

Interconnects/Speaker cable: Analysis Plus Solo Monocrystal

Power cords/line conditioner: CPCC Top Gun, Model 11, Super Power Block

Equip Stand: Grand Prix Audio Monaco

K-horns w/ALK

Second system- My dad's old Fisher 400-refurbished, Heresy II, Vecteur Variation CD player

This message has been edited by Mike82 on 09-20-2002 at 06:58 AM

The only way you will find out what works best in your room is by trying. Every room is different, and what works best in someone else's room, even if that room looks a lot like yours, will not neccessarily work best in your room. Having said that, here's a few starting points:

layout.jpg

(NOTE TO WEBMASTER - How come I can't upload at .tif file? The text in this image looks much better as a .tif than it does as a .jpeg Frown.gif )

------------------

Music is art

Audio is engineering

Ray's Music System

Important factors that affect room speaker placement:

1. design of speaker

2. room size

3. room acoustics(this factor will vary from point to point for speaker placement in ANY given room, as well)

4. intended listening position

5. limitations of room to speaker placement( corners, doors, windows, fireplaces/heaters/heater vents, etc.)...and don't forget the WAF factor...("but honey, you CAN'T put the speaker THERE!!!...that is where grandma's hope chest goes!!!")

6. Most important of all...YOUR EARS!!!

------------------

I can now receive private messages

Well, .tif's are nasty and big, and I bet a lot of (getto) computers don't support them.

I use .png for my work a lot of times. It is perfect to scale and minipulate size.

------------------

Receiver: Sony STR-DE675

CD player: Sony CDP-CX300

Turntable: Technics SL-J3 with Audio-Technica TR485U

Speakers: JBL HLS-610

Subwoofer: JBL 4648A-8

Sub amp: Parts Express 180 watt

Center/surrounds: Teac 3-way bookshelfs

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

For JBL related subjects and more fun, click: http://www.audioheritage.org

my room doesnt allow me to place my speakers 2' from the walls, so my rf-3s are in fact 6" away (and i sit 6.5' away at that). it doesnt effect the bass much because the speakers are set to small.

------------------

MY SYSTEM

Mains: Klipsch RF-3II

Center: Klipsch RF-3II

Rear L/R: Polk R40 bookshelves(suck)...soon to be Klipsch RS-3II

Subwoofers: Dual SVS 25-31CS

Subwoofer Amp: Fidek 3002 600w

Receiver: Harmon Kardon AVR520

CD Player: Cambridge D500SE

DVD Player: JVC XV-D723 Progressive Scan

TV: Toshiba 32A42 32"

Here's what you do then. Get them toed in as much as possible, this increases the distance from the front baffle of the speaker to the side wall.

If possible, you can do what I did. If you don't have kids, and a lot of traffic around your speaker, and can listen with the grills off -- you can turn the grills around a put acoustic foam panels in them.

Get a mirror, and while you sit at the listening position, have someone move the mirror along the side wall next to the speaker. When you see the tweeter in the mirror -- that is the reflection point. Mark it, and move your "movable" acoustic panel/Klipsch grill to that spot.