Weird Home Network Interferrence

artto

To make a long story short, on the HT upstairs I have a 2-year old Samsung TV (SmartTV) that connects to my home network via WiFi.

In the music room downstairs I have a NAD C446 Digital Media Tuner. When the TV is turned on, it somehow knocks the C446 offline. I can’t stream internet radio via WiFi or Ethernet. If the TV is turned off I can reconnect the C446.

Is there any way to get these two devices to either not interfere with each other, or to get them paired/talk to each other? It appears to be some kind of home network communication/interference problem. The C446 is a network enabled media tuner that can see and play files from other devices on the network such as a guest’s iPhone or another PC.

Thnx Mike

The TV I'm going to assume is set to "dynamic" as in the menu its Network Settings for both "IP Setting" and "DNS setting" are set to "obtain automatically"

I've also now verified that the NAD C446 was in fact not connected via Ethernet. I had a pair of power line Ethernet adapters, one at the router and one at the tuner, to send the Ethernet thru the house wiring. I'll have to check the cables and speed of the power line adapters as this combination kept re-buffering as if there wasn't enough bandwidth.

I ran a long known to-be-good Ethernet cable from the Router to the C446 & set the C446 default to use wired Ethernet. This combination worked ~ until I turned on the TV. Then the same old problem, so there's definitely some kind of conflict between the TV and the C446.

One thing I found with power line adapters is they did not work well if at all unless plugged in to the same power leg in other words mine had to be in outlets there were served by circuit breakers that were on the same side of the breaker box.

• Like 1

Is this a new problem? Have you tried rebooting the computer or router that is handling IP addresses for your network? Do you have two DHCP servers allocating IP Addresses on the same network? Maybe one for the Ethernet system and another for electrical wired system? If so make sure they are not allocating from the same address pool. Sounds like an IP address conflict.  

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, cincymat said:

Is this a new problem? Have you tried rebooting the computer or router that is handling IP addresses for your network? Do you have two DHCP servers allocating IP Addresses on the same network? Maybe one for the Ethernet system and another for electrical wired system? If so make sure they are not allocating from the same address pool. Sounds like an IP address conflict.  

I've had a problem with WiFi in general, especially in the music room, which is why I'm trying to hard wire via Ethernet. Getting faster internet speed seemed to cure the problem, at least for a while. I only recently narrowed the problem down to having something to do with the TV. When the TV is turned on, the C446 disconnects. It does this with both WiFi and Ethernet. Therefore I'm pretty sure it's some kind of IP conflict. I'm in contact with NAD tech support but as usual these days it takes a day or two to respond. I don't know if the C446 can automatically obtain an IP address. I suspect it can't. But since the TV can, I don't see why it doesn't pick something else that's not in conflict (since it's set to "obtain automatically). As far as two DHCP servers, I don't think so. There's just the WiFi capable Router inside the house. I believe the actual gateway is in the service provider box outside.

All the other computers, tablets, phones etc connect and stay connected regardless of being connected via WiFi or Ethernet. When the TV is turned on J River Media Center's Playlist (I use a laptop and J River Media Center as my main music server) starts showing the C446 intermittently not showing up for a fraction of a second, then comes back. It repeats this over and over. All the while the C446 cannot connect internet radio. The TV has to be turned off, the C446 has to be turned off and rebooted. Then everything works again until the TV is turned on.

1 hour ago, USNRET said:

One thing I found with power line adapters is they did not work well if at all unless plugged in to the same power leg in other words mine had to be in outlets there were served by circuit breakers that were on the same side of the breaker box.

Yes, they are on the same circuit, not that I like it that way. But there haven't been any audible issues on the main audio system in the music room. It's all digital through-put now. Not one iota of analog in the signal path anymore (until, of course, it has to go to the speakers).

Even with a long Ethernet cable connected directly between the Router and the C446 it gets disconnected when the TV comes on so there has to be some kind of IP or DNS conflict

9 minutes ago, USNRET said:

Can you surf to your router's interface and see all connected devices ip addresses?

Yes, I can. What am I looking for? An IP Address that's the same on both the TV and C446?

I'll probably have to do that with the TV both ON and OFF to see the conflict(s)?

I ran into a problem when my new Samsung TV, my Marantz and my Epson projector would not work together.   I eventually was told the newer Marantz and Samsung have a different security chip than the older projector.     I have to unplug the Epson from the AC power to get the others to work.

Well, I've opened all DMZ ports on the gateway and assigned reserved IP address for both devices.

The C446 still gets kicked "offline" when the TV is turned on. "Technically" the C446 is still online, but it stops streaming internet radio when the TV is turned on. The display keeps cycling from My Favorites to Internet Radio to Check Network Setup.

Had a long chat with Comcast advanced tech support and this had his head scratching too.

So it seems like the C446 has it's issue. TV and 446 both hardwired at this point correct? Do you have a laptop that you can plug into the 446's ethernet cable and perform a speed check while the TV is online but even so the 'cycling' is disturbing. I would try the laptop speed check at that drop and contact NAD with that info in hand.

Good luck and welcome to my world!

1 hour ago, artto said:

Well, I've opened all DMZ ports on the gateway and assigned reserved IP address for both devices.

The C446 still gets kicked "offline" when the TV is turned on. "Technically" the C446 is still online, but it stops streaming internet radio when the TV is turned on. The display keeps cycling from My Favorites to Internet Radio to Check Network Setup.

Had a long chat with Comcast advanced tech support and this had his head scratching too.

When you check network setup in the C446, what IP address does it show?  I looked at the C446 user manual and didn't see how network settings could be changed from a fixed IP address to acquire an address from the DHCP server. Is the Comcast device your wireless router and gateway? Can you open the DHCP page in a web browser or does Comcast have to configure it for you? If you can, post a screen shot of the DHCP settings and the devices listed as connected. Shouldn't be this complicated. 

41 minutes ago, USNRET said:

So it seems like the C446 has it's issue. TV and 446 both hardwired at this point correct? Do you have a laptop that you can plug into the 446's ethernet cable and perform a speed check while the TV is online but even so the 'cycling' is disturbing. I would try the laptop speed check at that drop and contact NAD with that info in hand.

Good luck and welcome to my world!

So it seems like the C446 has it's issue.

Probably, but it only does this when the TV is turned on.

TV and 446 both hardwired at this point correct?

No. The TV is wireless. I've connected the C446 wireless and Ethernet. Same result

Do you have a laptop that you can plug into the 446's ethernet cable and perform a speed check while the TV is online

Yes. I've done speed checks and it's fine. Ethernet is usually around 90/mbps, Wireless 30/mbps. Upload speed is 12mbps on both. I assume you mean the Ethernet cable that connects the Router to C446, connect the laptop (or other PC) to the end that usually connects to the C446. Not connect the laptop --> Ethernet --> C446

but even so the 'cycling' is disturbing.

Yes, it is. Especially since I can "see" the C446 "cycling" on the J River Playing Now List.

29 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

Have you considered it's a conflict with your Wi-fi?  Modern routers use 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz frequency ranges.

Here is some info on what I referenced:

https://www.lifewire.com/dual-band-wireless-networking-explained-818279

Yes. I even got the bright idea to change the name of the 5ghz network by adding _5 to the name so I could put one of the devices on the 5ghz wiireless network. Alas, TV apparently doesn't support 5ghz (as per manufacturer tech support) and I seriously doubt the C446 does. Waiting for NAD tech support to respond.

18 minutes ago, cincymat said:

When you check network setup in the C446, what IP address does it show?  I looked at the C446 user manual and didn't see how network settings could be changed from a fixed IP address to acquire an address from the DHCP server. Is the Comcast device your wireless router and gateway? Can you open the DHCP page in a web browser or does Comcast have to configure it for you? If you can, post a screen shot of the DHCP settings and the devices listed as connected. Shouldn't be this complicated. 

You are correct. I didn't see anything that would allow me to change the C446 IP address.

I can access Router and Gateway configuration. That's where I assigned reserve IP addresses for both. There aren't any IP conflicts. I did see something on NAD website investigating one their new chassis installed "module" products (DD Blu OS) that essentially replace the C446. It mentions the MAC ID as important to wireless setup.

How are the TV and C446 connected now? Wireless or Ethernet cable? Did you assign the reserved IP addresses in each component, TV and C446 via their respective setup menus? At least do that to the TV.  Still is acting like an IP address conflict. 

Have you tried to Ping the reserved addresses via a PC connected to your network?