Klipsch P-17B Speakers Wanted - Need Advice

anthonydelatorre1

Hi Everyone, 
I hope you guys are doing great. This is my first post on this forum. I have really been wanting a pair of Klipsch Palladium speakers, the P-17B in particular as they almost fit my budget. I found a pair for auction on the Audiogon website. The seller of these speakers doesn't have any previous seller activity. I'm not sure if I feel comfortable purchasing them. Was wondering what you guys think? Will appreciate any feedback. here's a link to the speakers being auctioned here on Audiogon: https://www.audiogon.com/listings/full-range-klipsch-palladium-p-17b-2017-03-23-speakers-46032-carme...

Thanks!
Anthony

Anthony,

Welcome to the forum.

I saw the ad and they sure look nice.

Send seller a PM and feel him out a bit more.  Ask does he have feedback on another selling sight you could look up.

How far are you from him?

Bill

45 minutes ago, anthonydelatorre1 said:

Hi Bill,

Thank you for the welcome and your reply to my post.

I just left the seller a private message. I will see what he says. 

Pretty far, I'm located in Washington and he is in Indiana. 

Thanks,

Anthony

I just heard back from the seller. This was his reply:

"Anthony, I own a AV company called Millennium Sounds and I'm selling some of our gear that we need to move out of our showroom because we never used it. We are a Klipsch dealer and that's why we had these on display. I've only sold 2-3 items so far over the past couple weeks so I'm guessing it's too early to get reviews."

6 minutes ago, anthonydelatorre1 said:

Think I'm gonna go for it and place a bid. Do you know if I can power these with an amp outputting at 8ohms? I believe that these speakers have a nominal 4 ohm impedance

What amp do you have in mind?

A little scary between 100Hz and 300Hz but not too bad elsewhere.

http://www.stereophile.com/content/klipsch-palladium-p-17b-loudspeaker-measurements#LFRdou3cO2eTQlrc.97

510K17fig1.jpg

Bill

3 minutes ago, anthonydelatorre1 said:

Thanks, I will go read that article. I have an Onkyo TX-NR809 but will probably start looking for something more compatible 

Is your plan for 2-channel only?  If so, definitely look for a nice integrated amp or separates.

Bill

I owned these speakers.  You need a 4ohm amp. I had a marantz AV receiver and got a nice emotiva sa-250 amp to power them.  You would just run your preouts on your AV receiver to the power amp. Just as a personal opinion I'd recommend going with a nice heresy over these. Not that p17-bs aren't nice but if your are looking for the classic klipsch sound these arent for that. 

3 minutes ago, Kalifornian said:

I owned these speakers.  You need a 4ohm amp. I had a marantz AV receiver and got a nice emotiva sa-250 amp to power them.  You would just run your preouts on your AV receiver to the power amp. Just as a personal opinion I'd recommend going with a nice heresy over these. Not that p17-bs aren't nice but if your are looking for the classic klipsch sound these arent for that. 

So could I use my existing 5.1 av receiver with a separate 4 ohm stereo amp with these speakers and still power the remaining speakers in my 5.1 setup with the 5.1 receiver? I will look into the heresy speakers. Would you recommend those over the P17-Bs for both movies and music? I have personally have never listened to either the Palladium or the Heresy speakers. Thanks

There are a few sellers on Ebay like Iq-Entertainment, OneCall, etc that offer up open box Heresy III's for under $1500 a pair and free shipping. That would be the direction I would go if choosing brand new speakers. If you are okay with used speakers there are plenty of Cornwall, Chorus, Forte, La Scalas in that price range. The Heritage series of Klipsch speakers are magnificent sounding and have been in production of up to 70 years with minimal changes. Tried and true with lots of happy campers loyal to their products.

Here are a few links

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Klipsch-Heresy-III-Floorstanding-Loudspeaker-One-Pair-BLACK-Open-Box-/222349025118?hash=item33c508df5e:g:6~AAAOSwa~BYVWwn

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Klipsch-Heresy-III-Floorstanding-Speaker-One-Pair-WALNUT-Open-Box-/391738449816?hash=item5b356e5f98:g:x9cAAOSwxN5WYJ0n

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Klipsch-Heresy-III-Floor-Standing-Speakers-One-Pair-Cherry-Mint-Condition-/172376156006?hash=item28226b6766:g:qDoAAOSw-CpYAnbJ

Tim

My current set up consists of an Onkyo TX-NR809, 2-Klipsch RF 82's, 2-Klipsch RS 3's,  a Klipsch RC 3, and a SVS PSB ISD. I wanted to start upgrading my system piece by piece starting with the front speakers. I utilize my system for both movies and music. I really liked the way the Palladiums looked. What series of the Heresy speakers is the best? Would a pair of Heresy speakers be an upgrade from my RF 82's?

I would probably go with the Chorus II if possible Anthony. It is to me the best balanced speaker in the line up. You really can't go wrong with any of them, if possible demo what you find so you can weigh out any pros and cons you may have.

Tim