Am I insane? Heresy Nearfield

Escher

So - I hadn't planned on getting these... but I had to... $250 at a pawn shop an hour away.  Perfect sonically - cabinets have some bumps and bruises.  Heresy I, 1976 vintage... K22 woofers..

Sound so sweet... but I really dont have a place for them.. I was using some RB-61's for my computer desk which were big.... lol!!  I did this on a whim just to see what it would be like - and it actually sounds very good...   Am I nuts?

33691818255_c362b00e1f_c.jpg

I'm cracking up just looking at it now....

• Like 3

You aren't nuts.  In a way, I have Klipschorns as computer speakers.  My work desk, with my laptop, is dead center between the Khorns.  I listen to music while I work.  If something online has speaking voices only, I just use the crumby speakers in my laptop.  If there is music involved, I play it through my "good" systems, including the Klipschorns and a Belle Klipsch center channel to boot!  When appropriate, I switch on my Heresy II surrounds, and PL II Music and listen to all 5 channels.

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Escher said:

Am I nuts?

It's hard to tell, don't really know you yet, could be? :wacko: But if were talking about your computer speakers looks good to me, why not as long as the desk can handle it.

Used some in the back of a jeep for a good while, sounded good just took up to much space. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Escher said:

I did this on a whim just to see what it would be like - and it actually sounds very good...   Am I nuts?

Of course you're nuts.  Where's the subwoofer?

CF-4 Computer setup right 1.jpg

CF-4 computer setup.JPG

Klipsch CF-4 version 1.  Center DIY 15" w/SEOS 12 waveguide.  DIY Reference 15 sealed sub w/500 watt Yung plate amp.  This setup produces the most realistic sounding grand piano you've ever heard, it's chest pounding and the sound is stunning.

Sherborne SR-120 AVR, may it rest in peace.  I just got it back yesterday from the local electronics tech and he can't figure out why there's no sound.  It's now a 75 pound paper weight.

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Definitely not nuts but definitely not ideal.  When you're that close to the speakers you'll never hear the 3 drivers properly blended together.  You'll hear whatever driver your ear is closest to.

I'm sure that is true with the relatively large Heresy speakers.  OTOH, my experience with Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 at nearfield is that the speakers are not perceived as the source.   The music seems to be coming from my computer monitor.

nearfield (Mobile).JPG

I have used Heresys for near field monitors as well in my small office at work. They sounded nice to me in near field locations. I had to bump up the bass on the eq just a bit, but sounded very nice. If they sound good to you, leave them there and enjoy.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Definitely not nuts but definitely not ideal.  When you're that close to the speakers you'll never hear the 3 drivers properly blended together.  You'll hear whatever driver your ear is closest to.

You'd be amazed - but I don't sit directly in front, I'm back a about 3 feet... I don't really notice individual drivers until I'm literally right on top of them... they seem to blend in a *very* short distance.... like 12-18 inches or so...

That being said, I'm going to pull the desk out another 6 inches or so this evening and push them a bit more back.  I'm picking up some 1X12's and bracing to make a proper platform.. 

10 minutes ago, Bossman said:

Listen to them as they are, then in a week or 2 replace the capacitors in the crossovers and experience an even better sound. The capacitors are cheap from PE. Just get 4 of these bad boys: http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-pmpc-20-20uf-250v-precision-audio-capacitor--027-214

That's in the plan for sure.... May just go with Crites.... but they sure do sound good they way they are.  40 years of break-in does a lot of smoothing out. 

Glad to hear all the affirmative responses - we are all cut from the same cloth it would appear!

I popped the back off on of them last night... interior pic...

32857652084_40af46fc5e_b.jpg

• Like 1

The epicness of this pic can not be overstated.... :P

5 hours ago, wvu80 said:

Of course you're nuts.  Where's the subwoofer?

CF-4 Computer setup right 1.jpg

CF-4 computer setup.JPG

Klipsch CF-4 version 1.  Center DIY 15" w/SEOS 12 waveguide.  DIY Reference 15 sealed sub w/500 watt Yung plate amp.  This setup produces the most realistic sounding grand piano you've ever heard, it's chest pounding and the sound is stunning.

Sherborne SR-120 AVR, may it rest in peace.  I just got it back yesterday from the local electronics tech and he can't figure out why there's no sound.  It's now a 75 pound paper weight.

• Like 1