What pre-amp with a mc275 IV & La Scala speakers?

32blownhemi

I'm getting a mc275 today & now need to get a pre-amp. What's a good one to get? Of course, I'm just as confused on which pre-amp as I was the amp. I've read where a perfect match is the c-22 (new one) & then I've read where an SS pre is best. I'm not really looking forward to the $6000 cost of a c-22 but if that's what I need then that's what I need...  Oh,  I also have a Oppo Dac...    Bill

34 minutes ago, 32blownhemi said:

I'm getting a mc275 today & now need to get a pre-amp. What's a good one to get? Of course, I'm just as confused on which pre-amp as I was the amp. I've read where a perfect match is the c-22 (new one) & then I've read where an SS pre is best. I'm not really looking forward to the $6000 cost of a c-22 but if that's what I need then that's what I need...  Oh,  I also have a Oppo Dac...    Bill

Are you looking to get everything brand new?  Will this preamp ever be used for multichannel operation?  I know we are in the 2 channel section but, some people like a little wiggle room to play SACD or bluray concerts in multichannel formats.

If you are sticking with 2 channel, any of the McIntosh preamps would probably do, except for the C28, if you are going to use phono...   The C28, although it it has a marvelous compliment of features, has a history of phono failures on the right channel.  I had mine (purchased new in the '70s) repaired by a McIntosh warranty station, by the Tech who was rated "The Best in the [S.F.] Bay Area" by the Bay Guardian.  After a few months, it failed again.  I switched over to Luxman, while the McIntosh C28 sat on the shelf looking incredibly pretty.  Finally, I took it in to sell to a dealer who bought and resold McIntosh, and was another McIntosh expert.  I told him it had intermittent problems.  He said, "With the right phono channel, right?"  He hooked it up, and the right phono channel failed while we were chatting, a few minutes after it was turned on.  I sold it for a song.   Maybe someone here knows why this common problem occurs and how to fix it.  Otherwise, it was a great preamp. 

OTOH, you may want tubes, for their sound.

I am using a new C2500 pre with a MC275 MK VI. I wanted the C2500 for HT bypass but found out late that it had to be powered up to allow bypass. Had I known that I would have gone another route, used an outboard DAC (or the one in the Oppo105). A couple of quirks on my Mc's triggering system; they are stereo with 2 hot connections and so in order to connect non-Mc equipment you need to have a stereo to mono trigger wire (easy enough to build). The pre-amp's meter back lights and the amp's small tube leds are controlled together; in order to turn off amp led you turn the pre-amp's meters off (no likey that). A stereo to mono trigger fixes that as one contact controls the lights.

I also wish the C2500 line stage and 2 phono stage tubes were selectable off. In other words: don't power up the MM or MC phono stages unless I select that as an input...wasting tube life and since I don't use a TT anymore that was to be my repository of spare tubes.

Sounds like I am biatching but I'm really not. I like the setup combo. If I was somewhere that I could have played with the units in a showroom I may have went with another pre-amp. On the fly "trim" via remote is really nice. Looks = KILLER

MEN220 room correction arrives with UPS today.

Mc Setup.jpg

• Like 3

Thank You USNRET & derrickdj1 & garyrc!  Yes, bought an mc275 VI. I'll need phono stage but have the DAC... No, would rather buy used & pay less just want to make sure what I get doesn't need work. Down the road I will want a HT 5.1 & SACD... So no on a c28 for sure, but yes I'm thinking tubes would sound best... So I need to be careful with whatever I get to make sure it's all compatible with my goals...  Thanks again!     Bill

• Like 1

On 3/30/2017 at 7:13 AM, 32blownhemi said:

Thank You USNRET!   ;)

No problem mate. I bought my C2500 from them NIB (at the current price listed minus any fees or shipping) and it had an issue where the left meter lagged 32dB behind the right (1kz tone at 0 dB). I called on Friday was told that a tech would call on Monday as he was out. Tech called and said forget troubleshooting (I had done that by injecting the tone directly via USB stick) and told me the salesman would call in a few. He didn't. I called back Tuesday, talked to the salesman and he apologized as he didn't get the word that he was supposed to call but he had already shipped out a new unit and emailed me a UPS slip return to be done at my convenience. Done, done and done. GREAT service. No muss, no fuss. Perfect all the way.

• Like 1