East coast chorus 2's

10 hours ago, klipschfancf4 said:

These look very nice & great price too. 

The $500 price starts the bidding.  The BIN is $650.  My numbers show the Ch2 avg price to be $568.

That price range is fair market value, not a deal.  Good speaker for a good price.

5 hours ago, wvu80 said:

The $500 price starts the bidding.  The BIN is $650.  My numbers show the Ch2 avg price to be $568.

That price range is fair market value, not a deal.  Good speaker for a good price.

Yes I'm aware of how ebay works. $500-$650 range is indeed a "deal" & a very good price for nice chorus 2's regardless of location.  Just wanted to let people in that area see them incase they are looking.

No offense but I've said before I think your numbers are off by quite a bit based on what I've seen in recent years for some of the speakers you keep a log of... maybe its just the ones you've seen in your area or they were all in rough shape or something, but ch2's usually sell for & are worth a lot more than $568 average, esecially in very good condition.  Shoot, forte & forte 2's sell for 500 or more quite often.  IMO, $500-$650 is a steal for nice ch2's. 

You can add to your list the pair of oak ch2's I just sold last month for $900 that sold in 24 hours on CL & the 2nd pair I sold a month earlier for $800 with some scrathces & dings, & the WO pair I currently own that I bought last fall for $700. Lets get up that average a bit.  ;) 

2 hours ago, klipschfancf4 said:

Yes I'm aware of how ebay works. $500-$650 range is indeed a "deal" & a very good price for nice chorus 2's regardless of location.  Just wanted to let people in that area see them incase they are looking.

No offense but I've said before I think your numbers are off by quite a bit based on what I've seen in recent years for some of the speakers you keep a log of...

maybe its just the ones you've seen in your area or they were all in rough shape or something, but ch2's usually sell for & are worth a lot more than $568 average, esecially in very good condition.  Shoot, forte & forte 2's sell for 500 or more quite often.  IMO, $500-$650 is a steal for nice ch2's. 

You can add to your list the pair of oak ch2's I just sold last month for $900 that sold in 24 hours on CL & the 2nd pair I sold a month earlier for $800 with some scrathces & dings, & the WO pair I currently own that I bought last fall for $700. Lets get up that average a bit.  ;) 

Yeah, numbers on my spreadsheet offend me when someone disagrees!   NOT!  :lol:

I need to keep track of this speech because I end up explaining it a lot.  :rolleyes:

My numbers are not "off."  The numbers are the numbers.  These are not "local" sales because there hasn't been a Klipsch dealer in West Virginia in 30 years.  We have to "borrow" our used Heritage speakers from other states.  I don't "seek out" prices, I just jot them down when they cross my path on this Klipsch Forum.  That means usually Garage Sale and Alerts.  Alerts means Craigs List, Ebay, Audiogon, and other auctions people run across and list.  I make note of price and other factors if available.  Sometimes it's just a price.

I started keeping track of sales due to my poor memory and perception.  Someone would pop up and ask how much La Scala's were worth on average.  I would say my impression was $1250, someone else would pop up and say $1400 and others would say $1,000 all day long.  Who was right?  I didn't know so I started writing it down just for fun, just for my own amusement.  Sometimes my impressions were backed up.  More often my personal opinions were proven wrong,

You are a sophisticated buyer and seller.  Your answer to my question "how much is a speaker worth" I'm sure would be "it depends" and of course you would be right.

It depends on age, condition, updates, upgrades, refinish (done good or bad), location (local or distant to the buyer) and how badly the Seller wants to move his speakers, and how bad a Buyer wants that particular one.  So if I say the "average" is $1250 that number is almost meaningless because in Chicagoland where there is a lot of supply you can get them all day for $750.  If you are in Houston they might be $2000 because they just don't come into that market very often.

2 hours ago, klipschfancf4 said:

You can add to your list the pair of oak ch2's I just sold last month for $900 that sold in 24 hours on CL & the 2nd pair I sold a month earlier for $800 with some scrathces & dings, & the WO pair I currently own that I bought last fall for $700.

Lets get up that average a bit. 

I added your sales to my Chorus II info.  Since they are higher than the average I had, your speakers will raise the previous average.

A rising tide lifts all ships.  B)

+++

Personal to Klipschfan:   I'm leaving the house now but I'll back later tonight.  I'll PM you the spreadsheet, just for your amusement and I'll expand that offer to everyone.  Just shoot me a PM and I'll send you what I have.

• Like 1

I know you arent officially offended, we've talked quite a bit in the past. I say that sometimes just to be sure something isnt taken the wrong way which can easily happen when writing, no way to convey feelings or sarcasm... some here can be a little touchy sometimes  ;)

Your numbers are not off in the sense you wrote them down wrong, but from the data you have collected I feel the average you came up with is not a realistic representation of the value of these speakers.  I searched for a long time (4-5 years) to find a nice pair of WO ch 2's & saw them selling for 650-1000 (in average or above condition) all the time all over the country in all different finishes from CL to ebay to forums & websites.  I saw a pair on ebay last fall that didnt sell for the $800 starting price & offered the seller $700, he accepted as a sale outside ebay.  I drove 3 hours to get them. 

I wouldnt call myself sophisticated... far from it!  but as with almost anything sold on the used market, all your factors listed above come in to play to determine the price, mainly condition in this case, did you keep track of the condition of each speaker?  I have seen lots of speakers in bad shape that would really sway the numbers on a small list of data.  Like the saying goes,  "its worth what someone will pay for it."  I think most here will agree that your average of $568 so far for ch2's, based on a somewhat limited amount of data, is on the low end of the spectrum & not the norm.  But I understand it was just for amusement.

Hope someone that wants these can jump on them.   

• Like 1

Last pair I had sold for $900. They were very near mint WO with Crites drop in crossovers and titanium tweeters. I believe I paid $500 for them then added the Crites stuff after I got them so all in all pretty much broke even on the pair, not bad considering I got to use them for about a year.

I believe I've had about 5 or 6 pairs over the years, usual price paid was $500-$550 each pair. The most I've ever paid was $750 for a pair but they came with an older but pretty high end Denon Receiver which I was able to sell for $150.

Really though I agree that the Chorus II is worth a lot more than I've been able to buy them for, especially if you compare them to the new Cornwall III or Heresy III costing thousands of dollars. In all honesty I'd take a pair of Crites modded Chorus II's any day over the new offerings. It would be interesting to compare a restored pair of Chorus II's to the new forte III's..

6 hours ago, klipschfancf4 said:

I know you arent officially offended, we've talked quite a bit in the past. I say that sometimes just to be sure something isnt taken the wrong way which can easily happen when writing, no way to convey feelings or sarcasm... some here can be a little touchy sometimes  ;)

On a scale of 1-10 I am offended zero out of ten.  You are golden.  B)

+++

You did a great job with the sales info you provided me for the Ch2's.  When I added those in the Avg price went up 70 bucks to $638!  :lol:

+++

I've been getting so many requests for the Heritage spreadsheet I'm going to clean it up and put some notes in so I don't have to explain my shorthand every time.  I'm going to extend the formula cells out another 26 places, so I need to figure how to do that easily.

+++

Attn Exel guys, Something else I could use some help with: I would like to be able to produce graphs on the fly, again, easily.  Any suggestions?

Also, the info would be more useful I think if I could easily list Hi/Avg/Lo pricing instead of a simple Mean formula (mean, median, mode).  Any suggestions?

6 hours ago, klipschfancf4 said:

but as with almost anything sold on the used market, all your factors listed above come in to play to determine the price, mainly condition in this case, did you keep track of the condition of each speaker? 

I don't always have all the info I want.  For instance the info you provided me didn't tell me where you bought/sold.  ;)

These are Chrous II.  Here is an "A" listing followed by a "F" listing in my notes: (Category A, B, C, D, F).  The first listing is unusual because I gave it a couple of "plus's, a "+" for upgraded veneer and a "+" for upgraded components.

Price:  nys1200 (not yet sold)

Cond A++ light Oak
re-veneered
Grillls perfect
Crites Ti tweeter diaphragm & Crites XO
Grand Rapids CL
03/24/17
Not yet sold

Price 355

Cond F - Black
Ripped passive rads
XO needs replaced
Sound dull
Poor cab
Ebay, Mass
Bought by member (xxxx)
02/15/17

0 out of 10 is good in this case! :)

Keeping track of sold items is a nice tool to use for a general idea, but it is very general.  so many factors come into play on something like that.  Like you said, location, condition, actual sale price etc etc can be all over the place.  & the "nys" thing is a real killer, who's to say what they actually sold for, just because they are listed at 1200 doesn't mean the seller actually accepted that price.

I am in iowa, anything I buy or sell is usually within a few hours at the most.  I have owned & sold many different klipsch speakers & tons of other mid-fi gear over the years, started doing it back in the late 80's to early 90's before the internet made it so easy.  I'm not at an "opus level" ;) with fancy search engines, I do it the old fashioned way,  just occasional manual searches for things I want to add to or upgrade my collection.