Price for Quartets

pat_in_dfw

I have searched this forum, eBay, Facebook, Craigslist to get an idea of what Quartets should sell for and I can't find a good reference.  They sound great, no problems with them at all.  But I ran across an incredible deal on Cornwalls so I have to say bye-bye to the Quartets.  What is a good price range to ask for these?

Quartet (2).jpg

Quartet (3).jpg

Quartet (6).jpg

Quartet (1).jpg

Quartet (5).jpg

11 hours ago, edzu1234 said:

I had a pair of MINT oak Quartets and sold them for $400.  I would start at $350 for yours (they look a little rough around the edges).

Thanks - I could strip them and re-finish but I don't think that would add significantly to the value.  I have ordered another badge to replace the one that is missing.  The components are fine and they sound good as new.

On 3/29/2017 at 9:07 AM, opusk2k9 said:

I sold a pair of rough oak quartets for $350.

+1 to that.......

Yours are worth $350.00 on a good day......$300.00 on a day when you really want them to go away.

If you were local I'd probably do $350.00.....drivers need to be good though.

George,

On 3/31/2017 at 1:23 PM, Olorin said:

It's a shame Quartets don't get more love, they're great speakers.  Just out of curiosity, why the move from Quartets to Cornwalls?

Why would someone drive a Ferrari when they had a Honda before? Nothing wrong with a Honda but the Ferrari is so much more fun.

Basically because the Cornwalls blow the doors off the Quartets. They are bigger and better in every phase of the sound.

• Like 2

I HAD Quartets, I also had Forte ii's, Heresy's and Heresy 2's. 

I started selling off everything else once I got my FIRST pair of Cornwall's. 

The Quartets were the last of the lot to be sold. When I demo'ed them for the new owner I was actually surprised how GOOD they sounded for such a neat little package.

Anyone out there considering Heresy's for 2 channel SHOULD (a word we should never use... lol) really consider Quartet's.

The tractrix midrange and lower bass are high points.

I think everyone here is spot on as to pricing, $300 is probably fair in their current condition. They are great little speakers but understand about the Cornwalls, they are great too. Good luck with your sale! 

I noticed a couple of people mentioned something about less than good condition of these speakers.  I want to know what you're seeing that makes then less than top condition.  I want to get the most that I can so I'll do whatever I need to make sure they are in top shape.

I saw something on the front edge of the right speaker that looked like a little white spot on the corner. I'm not sure what it was but it wiped off with the wet rag easily. I'm probably should have wiped them down before I took the pictures but I literally just unplugged them and took the pictures as they were.

I got the other badge yesterday and I put it on. That was the only blemish with the speakers. The drivers are literally perfect. What would I need to do to make these a very good or excellent condition seeing as how I'm not sure what's wrong with him now that seems to be a detraction?

Thanks,

Patrick

4 hours ago, teaman said:

Hey Patrick, once you figure out what you want for them are you open to shipping?....or pick up only?

Tim

Shipping would be tough.  These are heavy and would be hard to pack.  I'm going to bring them out to Hope to the Pilgrimage if you're going to be there.

Patrick

• Like 1

8 hours ago, pat_in_dfw said:

I noticed a couple of people mentioned something about less than good condition of these speakers.  I want to know what you're seeing that makes then less than top condition.  I want to get the most that I can so I'll do whatever I need to make sure they are in top shape.

I saw something on the front edge of the right speaker that looked like a little white spot on the corner. I'm not sure what it was but it wiped off with the wet rag easily. I'm probably should have wiped them down before I took the pictures but I literally just unplugged them and took the pictures as they were.

First, always dust, clean, wipe, etc. speakers(and gear), especially black, before taking photos.  Made that mistake many times because photos seem to pick up every blemish, dust, etc. that you just might not see from the naked eye.  Other than that maybe a black wood marker along the edges where the veneer meets.

Can't hurt to give the speaker grills a warm tub bath(mild dishwashing liquid).  You will be amazed just how dirty that bath water will be after a couple of hours soaking.

Bill

• Like 2

+1 to Bill's suggestion of cleaning the speakers and taking quality pictures.  I also agree that stripping and re-painting them would not add to the value.  Clean them up and sell them as-is.

+++

I have only one example of Forte's in my database, the Seller wanted $500 for Condition B in Grand Rapids Dec 2015.  I have no evidence they sold at that price point.

I would suggest for research rely on those who have actually sold them.

I just sold these today.  I didn't have a chance to do anything to them other than wipe them off with a wet rag.  I did get the badge that I ordered from eBay for $15 and glued it on.  I had them listed on Dallas Craigslist for $450 and got an offer for $400.  The guy listened to them, liked them and gave me $400.  Thanks for the suggestions of the price range.  It sold for just about what most had thought they would.

• Like 3

Pat, never take things personally in the forums. Especially when you are asking for others to price a product for you. There are a lot of cheap bastards in the forum that have a hoard of equipment and are always looking for the next deal. If you are asking in here you will get any range of pricing. I know what i pay and i know what others have posted paying and i am astounded by the difference. I felt your price was in the ballpark which was why I inquired. There will always be buyers that pay too much or too little for things and not everyone is going to be happy, or in agreement. 

In the end i am glad to hear Dave got a nice pair of speakers and you got your asking price. Everyone wins!

Tim

5 hours ago, davecraze said:

Yes, that guy was me! Thanks again for the Quartets, Pat!  Looking forward to trying them out for LCR behind my AT projection screen.

I didn't know that was you! Awesome. I know they will work out great for you. Hope you can get that other one for the center.