Did gluing down subfloor change the sound of my speakers?

Derrick

Hi,

Is this possible? I was getting some vibration through my TT stylus due to my hardwood floor vibrating at certain frequencies. While my speakers were out for repair (don't ask) I decided to go into the basement and glue the subfloor to the floor joists with construction adhesive. The floor doesn't creak anymore which is great but when I got my speakers back and played any kind of music I found the sound to be totally different. The bass is much tighter but muddy at times and it sounds as though the openness of the music is gone. It sounds more muted if that makes any sense. Everything sounds heavy to me.

Anyone else ever experience this?

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Ole Dollar said:

I have to ask. What did you have repaired in the speakers? Crossovers by chance?

Good question, the speaker being repaired would be easier to think it's the problem over the floors.

No. The speaker basket on one of them had some cracks in the mounting flange (plastic). The woofer was re-mounted to the box with larger screws and the cracks glued. Minor repair that I don't think would impact the sound to that degree. The only thing that I can think of in relation to the speaker is that there could be a small air leak around the woofer. Not sure if that would make any difference. The other speaker was not repaired or changed in anyway.  

• Moderators
12 minutes ago, Derrick said:

The only thing that I can think of in relation to the speaker is that there could be a small air leak around the woofer. Not sure if that would make any difference.

If air was leaking around the driver that could change the sound, but you said small so I would not think it would make a huge difference. Tighter bass could be expected with the cabinet now sealed, less so if it's a ported model, I don't know what model yours are.

I would think openness could have something to do with speaker placement also, maby angle them a little differently and see how it changes.

Check the wiring and make sure they are in phase, that could make a big difference also. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Derrick gluing the subfloor to the joist may change what resonates but, something will still resonate if it is a wood floor..  This feels like I am talking to my self Derrick.:P:D   All Objects in the home have a frequency that will set them into resonance.  The only way around this is to weld everything but, metal will also resonate, lol.  The best answer is to set the TT in a nice solid area and enjoy!.  Somethings and some spots are more easy to set in motion.

Yes.  You did change the acoustics of the room by gluing the subfloor.  This makes it more rigid, and also couples the speakers more to the floor, which now has a different transference than before.  Studies have been done about sound proofing, and decoupling the room from the rest of the structure as much as possible has been found to offer the best sound proofing results.  Not that that matters in your case, but the physics still apply.

Thanks for your thoughts on the subject. Something did change with the sound. It was obvious the first time I played a record. The room is mostly hard surfaces has some echo. I am going to work with the acoustics a bit to see if I can improve the overall sound a bit. 

Thanks

• Like 1