Help! Out of my depth! Matching RF 35 with amp

BorhanA92

Hi everyone,

So my friend who is moving overseas has gifted me his old Klipsch floor standing RF - 35's after years of making fun of my Yamaha HS5's....

While this might be basic knowledge on these forums, this is the first time that I have owned passive speakers so I literally have no idea what I'm looking for in an amplifier.

The speakers will be used solely to play vinyl records off of 2 X Technic SL1200 record players that are already hooked up to a Pioneer DJM400 mixer (I believe this acts as a preamp?) in my living room. Friends have been telling me that i should invest in a valve/tube amplifier as it will best bring out that vinyl sound - whilst other people have been telling me I should go solid state as it will be more affordable and it will help bring out the bass in the RF35's which can sound too bright(?).

Any advice, guidance, recommendations from some seasoned audio/klipsch veterans would be genuinely appreciated and welcomed :).

Your friend really did give you a gift as the RF-35s are among the best sounding tower speakers you will find!  In combination with a good tube amp they will offer you a listening experience which you could not possibly duplicate with SS equipment.  To sound their best in terms of imaging, the rear ports need to be 2 or more feet in front of the rear wall. 

If you can, do a post in the Talkin' Tubes section of the forum and provide details about your listening room size, where you sit in relation to the speakers when listening, how loudly you listen, and the type of music you listen to.  Also, it would be helpful if you know the maximum output voltage from your mixer as some tube amps may need more than line level voltage to reach full output.  You will generate lots of recommendations.

Maynard

• Like 1

Nice gift!  I have found my RF-35s to be a great home theater speakers and sound great for movies.  To me they top the RF-82ii, i have seen others express this sentiment.  I have ran mine with a pioneer elite sc-77 and now an onkyo tx-sr608 both with great results.  I am sure a nice ss preamp and amp would sound great and tubes, possibly even better.  Good luck

On 3/30/2017 at 2:42 AM, BorhanA92 said:

Hi everyone,

So my friend who is moving overseas has gifted me his old Klipsch floor standing RF - 35's after years of making fun of my Yamaha HS5's....

While this might be basic knowledge on these forums, this is the first time that I have owned passive speakers so I literally have no idea what I'm looking for in an amplifier.

The speakers will be used solely to play vinyl records off of 2 X Technic SL1200 record players that are already hooked up to a Pioneer DJM400 mixer (I believe this acts as a preamp?) in my living room. Friends have been telling me that i should invest in a valve/tube amplifier as it will best bring out that vinyl sound - whilst other people have been telling me I should go solid state as it will be more affordable and it will help bring out the bass in the RF35's which can sound too bright(?).

Any advice, guidance, recommendations from some seasoned audio/klipsch veterans would be genuinely appreciated and welcomed :).

Your friends are divided because you would need to decide on your priorities.  Tubes will give a certain warmth that much SS won't.  SS, particularly something like BluBitRates was using, an SC-77, will give you more punch on the bottom end without getting as harsh in the highs as other solid state.  Once you get them in their resting locations, you will be able to judge bass response and decide if what you get from the speakers in those positions make you happy.  

Another consideration is that what most folks consider good tube equipment is not inexpensive though you can get good SS for a few hundred dollars.  Your budget may dictate.