Vintage KHorn kit?

HPower

Interesting, but not $2k interesting, US or Cdn.

Whenever a seller states the "retail price" for a used item, I'm annoyed.  What does $8,000 have to do with anything?  Those speakers weren't $8,000 when new.  New Klipschorns are nothing like those.

1499225-klipsch-corner-horns-1950s-vintage-klipschorn (Mobile).jpg

1499221-klipsch-corner-horns-1950s-vintage-klipschorn (Mobile).jpg

• Like 1

At the current exchange rate the price is $1500 US dollars. Plus delivery (food for the dog sled.) Not sure how long this method of commerce takes, but I know they can get from Settler's Bay to Nome in under nine days.

The horns and drivers are not original for the year.  They should have the wooden/fiberglass K-5-J's and the University tweeters.  The networks are not original for the year either the coils were hand wound and the caps were oil filled motor run and not crappy electrolytic's.  The L-Pads were never used by PWK. These are nothing more than DIY abominations.  The Speakerlab K's would be better and way less than 2K even Canadian dollars.

• 2 weeks later...

Actually, they may be a variation of the Vitavox K-Horn.

I owned CN-191's, the Vitavox Klipschorn; they were different looking for sure, but the similarity is in the Canadian built versions that came out of Kitchener Waterloo area. They looked a bit more "crude" in my opinion then the original CN-191 & those side "wave-forms" near identical.

I figure the original drivers were remove as these shown here have Wharfedale bass drivers in them and, what seems to be, a public address horn atop. The other one, not shown in the picture, has some bastardized wooden horn type enclosure built atop with a small single mid driver and tweeter horn suspended in the cavity.

I reached out to the seller as I would buy them for the cabinets alone and change over the drivers. It's hard to find matching cabinets from the mono era.

Anyhow - way overpriced.

JGP 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, JGP said:

Actually, they may be a variation of the Vitavox K-Horn. (snip) I owned CN-191's, the Vitavox Klipschorn;  (snip) Anyhow - way overpriced. (snip) JGP 

All respectful snips Mrl JGP, I just wanted to reference your post with some highlighted comments.

Even though this isn't your first post, welcome to the forum.  :emotion-21::emotion-19:B)

You're off to a great start and made a valuable contribution to the forum with your posts.  Thank you, and I hope you stay a while.   

-Dave

These are EV Georgian's. I have the centurions. That are the same thing but have a down firing woofer instead and are 6" shorter than a K horn. Very good speaker that are not worth 15 bones CDN, though that converts to 35c in real $$$.

Very very good speaker with the added benefit of being "corner optional".

Cool.

Srinath.

26 minutes ago, Srinath said:

These are EV Georgian's. I have the centurions. That are the same thing but have a down firing woofer instead and are 6" shorter than a K horn. Very good speaker that are not worth 15 bones CDN, though that converts to 35c in real $$$.

Very very good speaker with the added benefit of being "corner optional".

Cool.

Srinath.

My first reaction was Georgians as well with that midrange and tweeter BUT:

I have never seen a Georgian with that cobbed up MDF horn

All of the Georgians I have seen had a square access pannel for the woofer on the front of the Bass Bin, not a side access hatch like a Klipschorn.

Maybe the made 15 inchers as well, but all of the Georgians I am personally familiar with had 18 inch woofers in the Bass bin.

I think these are cobbed together myself as somewhere in the 60s I would think someone had those fron fasades made for those speakers.

Roger

Centurions are the simpler and better Georgians, and mine have rear woofer access with down firing 15".

Very very good speakers IMHO.

Also EV's in a lot of cases were "kits".

Like mine for example, it had a pair of x8 and x36's. The correct XO per spec from EV was a single x336 - aka - Khorn copy courtesy EV.

Its one of those run what you brung situations with EV's.

Cool.

Srinath.

I see what you're saying twisted - but well, I am slow to understand, and well, the original doesn't look any better really as published by EV.

Here is an old Audiokarma thread about it -

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/electrovoice-corner-spkrs.466672/

Linking to this Chinese page -

http://blog.naver.com/PostView.nhn?blogId=biosoft&logNo=40108819175&viewDate=&currentPage=1&listtype=0

And the t35 and M828 with 823 (I think) mid driver both with metal horns and big heavy compression driver encased in a fiberglass loud speaker style mid cabinet is pretty much what they had. Mine is missing that fiberglass part - and never had it. It was made to sit inside that top section straight up on the wood, and didn't have the rear port/phase tube for the mid horn. IMHO, a lot cleaner to look at, though sound ???? who knows.

And in the 50's they could care less about looks especially inside such a beauty of a cabinet, it had to sound great and do so with 2 watts of SE tube power. Which I am willing to bet, these did.

I am looking for a set of x8+x36's and a set of attenuators for a decent $$. But as all projects, its buried deep in my collection and deep in my set of priorities.

Cool.

Srinath.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi.  New member here, I signed up just to post on this thread.  With all due respect, these speakers don't appear to be Georgians or Centurions or any of the Vitavox I can find (obviously not Klipsch).  I have this same set --or one very close-- and I've been searching on and off for information for 15 years. This is the first time I've ever seen a set of cabinets that look like mine.  They aren't from any of the vintage corner horn builders I've ever been able to find.  

These enclosures are squared off, not rounded, and have a "wing" construction (the front does not 90 degree to the sides, but rather turns 45 degrees to the side panel, then 45 degrees again to the rear).  I think EV enclosures aren't usually like that. None of the Vitavox I've found have this square/angular construction.  Vitavox have a much more rounded, carved appearance.  

Anyway, I won't pretend to know what they are.  I don't.  I know they aren't Klipsch and so this thread is off topic, but this is the first lead I've had and I'm excited.  Anyone who has any info on what these are, or any idea where to look, PLEASE let me know.  (I'll get some pix of mine and post, but they are in most ways like these).  Thanks.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...