Chorus 1s for home theatre fronts

37scoop

I've recently added an Academy center to my KG4s with Crites upgrades and just today am now negotiating for a pair of Chorus1s, stock for L/R front. Aware of Chorus ii improvements but am getting a good price under $350.00. Will I be disappointed? Cannot place in corners but maybe a foot from the rear wall. 20x20 room. SVS sub. Yamaha HT amp.  Mostly HT. Some music of all varieties. And will likely upgrade with Crites in stages. Should I hold out for Cii's or even Forte ii's? It's a 5.1 set-up.

• Like 1

For that money I would get the Chorus 1's. You will not be disappointed and at that price you are safe if not beaters and all drivers work. Refershed my Chorus fairly recently and they are amazing. BTW, in my humble opinion, they work well against the wall. If you have some space though, experiment. Have had KG-4's as well. Not shabby at all...good fortune.... Welcome to the forum...B)

12 minutes ago, 37scoop said:

Thanks for your replies. I'll check them out. According to the seller, they are not able to be hooked up for a listen so I'm hard pressed to figure out a way to hear them.

Good price, sounds fishy. Offer to bring a reciever to test them with. If you dont have one you could get a cheap stereo at goodwill/yard sale to test them with.

Dug up an old sony AVR to take along if this goes through. Feels weird lugging speaker wires and an amp to check them out but who knows, they may be great. Not sure how to judge an FM signal and I'll be damned if I'll also lug a DVD payer as well.  Recently bought an Academy from a guy who took the time to set them up in his home theatre room (he had a pair). I was able to play several DVDs through them under the best listening conditions. The circumstances with these Chorus speakers are not quite as perfect. 

5 minutes ago, 37scoop said:

Dug up an old sony AVR to take along if this goes through. Feels weird lugging speaker wires and an amp to check them out but who knows, they may be great. Not sure how to judge an FM signal and I'll be damned if I'll also lug a DVD payer as well.  Recently bought an Academy from a guy who took the time to set them up in his home theatre room (he had a pair). I was able to play several DVDs through them under the best listening conditions. The circumstances with these Chorus speakers are not quite as perfect. 

You will need to look on the back of your sony to see what type of connection you have for fm. Taking a dvd may be the best way to go, you can test with the kind of music you like. Imo if there in good shape it will be worth it.