Need help understanding if this could be used for home theater.

Skillz4lif

I'm in the middle of the DIY rabbit hole now.  I'm still working on a UMAX 15.  Mainly, putting it together is easy.  I decided to paint mine, and it's taking quite some time, mainly due to weather, and allowing for extended curing times, etc.  The other thing to consider is cost of goods outside of the initial purchase of the kit.  I bought the INUKE 3000DSP to run the sub, $279, additional clamps, Bondo for seam sealing, paint, primer, wiring, sandpaper, connectors, etc., added another $150 - $200.  I just ordered an ART CleanboxPro and a couple of needed wires to connect it, $82.  There are cheaper and easier ways to finish the cabinet but I decided to take the hardest course on my first one.

As others have said, there are much simpler build/finishing paths than the one that I took.  I believe Scrappydue, AaronB123 (I think this is his username), derrickdj1, and some more forum members have posted their builds.  I had a post called DIY Sub Questions under Subwoofers that many members here gave some great advice.  Just stay away from the topic of glue.  Here's a link to a video from Parts Express that shows a build on a UMAX 18 sub.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcydtduDNec

It looks like his building skills are first rate.  However, Peavey drivers are known to produce high levels of distortion.  The subwoofer is sized/tuned for high sensitivity at music frequencies and will be disappointing for SOME special effects.  Half inch plywood is too thin for a subwoofer without massive bracing, but it makes the cabinet light.  Same for the mains. 

That's a great system for a folk/country band in a small/medium club. 

• 1 month later...

I have use Daytona audio cab with the mrk II drivers. And man they slam hard and loud with out any distortion I have been used one and made it tapped horn set up ran off of a Yamaha P 5000 house air bridge tomorrow at 25 on your WhatsApp believe I could not believe the pressure that I produce to my house I have a 1900 square-foot two story home and it would make the windows upstairs flex in it out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8 minutes ago, carlthess40 said:

For the love of god , don't use bondo. It will in time start to come apart. It will not hold up to the sound pressure inside or outside of the box

I've never once had an issue with bondo and used it on a 17hz 29cu ft tapped horn that could loosen your fillings.  I built a dual 12 inch driver sealed box for my son years ago that he pounds on with no problems either.  I've lost track of how many subs I've built and used bondo on.   I've never once had a failure.

40 minutes ago, carlthess40 said:

For the love of god , don't use bondo. It will in time start to come apart. It will not hold up to the sound pressure inside or outside of the box

Been using Bondo for 30 + years, never had an issue.

On 5/17/2017 at 8:19 PM, CECAA850 said:

I've never once had an issue with bondo and used it on a 17hz 29cu ft tapped horn that could loosen your fillings. 

(Robert Dinero)...........You talkin to me? Huh? You talkin to me? 

On 5/17/2017 at 8:30 PM, carlthess40 said:

Well I guess after doing wood working for over 40 years I've never had to use bondo. I Find that gorilla glue is a excellent joint filler and makes 100% seal

I've never used it as a glue.  Mostly to fill screw holes and occasionally to fix an "oops".

6 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

Haha!   How's the Lil Wrecker doing?

Sup Carl!! Lil Wrecker is giving me the stink eye right now just daring me to power it up. I have hardly even used it here in the past several months. :(  Between work, family and life in general, my audio toys have been neglected. But I sense a change in the air; more specifically, some air waves being moved! I was reading up on the trip yall made and it sounds awesome. I hope I can make it to one of them.