I need speakers

Calpod

I have an Onkyo TX-8511, 100W a side. Just two channels. I've been considering the RF-3's. Do they need a sub? What subs are out or going to be out? My Onkyo doesn't have a sub out. I've got two old La Scala's but I'm looking for a more modern sound. Should I get some new speakers or stick with the La Scala's?

You will find the RF-3's to be very different from the LaScalas. They will have a much more "laid back" sound for the lack of a better word. If I could fit LaScalas in my HT room, I would have a pair.

In a nutshell - both are great speakers in their own way. Very different though.

------------------

RF-3's : mains

RC-3 : center

RS-3's : surrounds

KSW10 X 2 : subwoofers

Receiver: Denon 2801

DVD: Panasonic DVD-A120

CD: Yamaha CDC-765

Cables: Tributaries

Sat Receiver: Hughes Direct-TV DD5.1

i mean a and b sets.

two sets of speakers running off one amp.

if you have this you could run a sub off one set and the scalas off the other set. i don't know what kind of burden this would be on the amp......might over load it.

id look at the cv subs. if you like klipsch go for them. i tested one out a NFM and i didn't really think it had much bass. cv makes a good sub........go to

cerwin-vega.com

they have some on display....you can get them at best buy i beleve.

i don't even use a sub with my scalas.

i have the industrial. but i don't use them for ht. there stricktly music. i have a pretty good eq so i can put the bass up a notch and get all i need. but i don't have a pretty good power amp with that packs quite a punch. i use 200 wpc instead of 100 but i don't think ive hit the top yet. tried to....

I'm not sure what you're thinking with "a more modern sound". Speakers are accurate or not. I'm biased because I have 4 La Scalas, but I think they are far better speakers than the RF-3s. Why don't you spend your $1000 on a good powered subwoofer. It will get its input from the speaker outs of your receiver. I normally use the second pair of speaker terminals to "signal" the powered sub and that way I can easily turn the sub off if I want (A+B is normal, A is no sub).

John

Which klipsch sub would match my La Scala's.

I don't think I want the 15' because of "sloppyness." Maybe the 10' or 12'. And I just go from my B channel speaker wire outs into the sub. Will this take power from my La Scala's or put power to the powered sub?

Thanks for all the response.

Calpod

Check out the REL subs. Very musical and they do a nice job with HT as well, in the event you go to an HT setup. You can get into a used REL storm III for about $850.00.......I wouldn't go much lower in thier product line with La Scalas.

I like the legends much more than the RF3's. The KSW 10 will never deliver that punch that a 12 or 15 can. If you set a sub up correctly even the 15 will yield a very desirable effect. You can get a sloppy sound out of any sub if it's over driven or placed wrong. The 15 does what 12 or a 10 does with less effort. You should really audition them.

------------------

Onkyo TX8511

ADCOM GCD-700

KLIPSCH CF3,s

KLIPSCH CF4's

KSW-300

I run my fronts from A and my sub from B outputs. I also have the sub line level, I don't use the Hi-Pass. I keep the X-Over set low to keep the boominess away. I have a 15 and it sounds tight. I find that the recording sometimes is boomy...the sound can only be as good as the recording.

------------------

Onkyo TX8511

ADCOM GCD-700

KLIPSCH CF3,s

KLIPSCH CF4's

KSW-300

Calpod,

I also have La Scala, and I use an REL Storm (original series) subwoofer. I *LOVE* the way the system sounds.

Driving La Scala full range, with sub in parallel driven via speaker level inputs. Can't tell you what crossover frequency or sub volume level I'm using; sub is behind stuff and I reach over the top and twiddle with the knobs until it sounds right, but I have no idea where it's set.

Ray

Don't put the RF-3 down. It is a fine speaker and matches my Cornwall very well. It is a different sound from the LaScalas. I wouldn't call it more "modern" though. I'd like to try making it 3-way, after the warranty. I didn't need the KF-20 for the price difference.

When my room is set up a little differently, the LaScalas will be in the front and the RF-3s in the back. I haven't gotten a sub yet. I'm so used to the LaScala sound that I don't know what I'm missing, I guess.

I'd like more bass out of my RC-3. I know HT makes that channel a more midrange frequency, but some actors have low voices. Again, a sub may solve this.