Tilting RF82II speakers when using for surrounds

robc1976

I recently purchased (4) RF7II to replace my wides & fronts that are currently RF82II.

These are in fully dedicated theater.

I have RB61II as my surrounds and figured why not use the RF82II as surrounds. I was planning on putting them on a 20"'enclosure and tilt them slightly with a slanted isolation pad and this will put them at 62".

My question is, will it be okay to tilt these slightly? I have never tilted a floor standing speaker. My reasoning is to have surrounds in same place as bookshelves where (62") and aimed slightly down above ear level. I can't put them on floor at ear level bacuse my 2nd row of seating is on 10" riser to see over 1st row that is on 6" riser.

If I can't tilt I will mount them at 48" (middle tweeter) so  tweeter is slightly (2") above 2nd row setting. And 4" above 1st row setting.

So tilt or no tilt guys?

3 minutes ago, robc1976 said:

I have to have them a bit higher,  than my front & wide RF7II. The riser they will be on will be bolted to subfloor, did you tilt yours? 

No. We do have our front RF-7s on 3" risers because of an obstacle in one's location. Right now we are using RB-75s as side surrounds on barstools and have rear RB-75s tilted down on shelves in the rear....We also have RB-5s tilted down that are being used as heights. {Note: both the rear and height speakers are on their side.} 

12 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:

The new ones aren't out yet, I don't think the originals were tilted, not sure about the RF7ll.

I rather tilt across the entire enclosure with a accoustic pad to decouple a bit. Lot of times tilting a speaker can throw it off axis, that is my concern

Yes it is fine but strap them for safety.

Although a tilt towards the listener is ideal i think it unnecessary.  Surrounds that are rf7 will have plenty of dispersion and tilting it may make one seat good and others not as much unless done perfectly.    i would not tilt them.

2 hours ago, Zen Traveler said:

No. We do have our front RF-7s on 3" risers because of an obstacle in one's location. Right now we are using RB-75s as side surrounds on barstools and have rear RB-75s tilted down on shelves in the rear....We also have RB-5s tilted down that are being used as heights. {Note: both the rear and height speakers are on their side.} 

I use RB61II for rear surrounds and heights, in pic below are the RF82II I am replacing with RF7II (wide/front). This pic is before I added 2nd row of seating.

I now have a 138"screen with 5040ube

Not the little 64" TV lol! 

20161203_170425-800x600.jpg

2 minutes ago, RoboKlipsch said:

Although a tilt towards the listener is ideal i think it unnecessary.  Surrounds that are rf7 will have plenty of dispersion and tilting it may make one seat good and others not as much unless done perfectly.    i would not tilt them.

My surrounds will be RF82II not RF7II, I am using RF7II as fronts/wides.

If I tilt they will 100% secured. I am leaning towards no tilt. Maybe a very slight tilt. 

82 and 7s very similar.  Tilt only needed if your seating position is very far from the surrounds.  I cant see it being worth it and the look wont be good either.  The avr will set a level and they will be fine as long as they point towards the general area.

7 minutes ago, RoboKlipsch said:

Very good point actually, dispersion would be over a greater area with them not tilting. I will but laser to assure middle of tweeter is betweenmu 2 rows. They are 15' away from mlp so plenty of dispersion.

Good advice! 

2 minutes ago, RoboKlipsch said:

82 and 7s very similar.  Tilt only needed if your seating position is very far from the surrounds.  I cant see it being worth it and the look wont be good either.  The avr will set a level and they will be fine as long as they point towards the general area.

I use aydyssey pro so it will adjust. I am just very finicky about stuff being perfect. Laser on all speakers to assure they are exactly even lol! 

I think your correct on the tilt actually, especially with a larger cabinet on RF82II. Tilted floor standing speaker is not ideal. I HATED tilting my RC64II up to listening position fir my projection sceen. I refuse to put it behind a accoustic screen, it really hurts mid range frewuency response and causes bad reflection and that = distortion.