Chinese tubes...

Schu

Out of morbid curiosity I decided to try some new manufacture Shuguang tubes.. their cv-181-z (z denotes the Treasure series).

I have tried many 6sn7 tubes... red base rca 5692, cbs/hytron 5692 tan base and many others... the best being a cbs/hytron 6sn7gtb black base (actually a 5692) and this cv-181 has bested them all although the cbs/hytron 6sn7gtb is close.

33396726210_d4249c1eaf_k.jpg

I love the build quality, love the sound and specially love the price. The sound is smooth, deep and tight.

The tube does have a weird oxidation look to the interior coating, but so far I have not heard any effect, yet. Perhaps longevity will be an issue in the future. 

32938374114_7ed9f8c83e_k.jpg

I have a Opera Consonance Cyber Preamp that uses 4 6SN7 Tubes plus a rectifier. I've rolled dozens of matched 6SN7 tubes in this pre. Best sounding hands down of all the NOS and modern production tubes was the Shuguang Black Treasures (post 50+ hours of breakin. Pre breakin they sounded like ***.

Best place to get a properly warranted Chinese tube is Grant Fidelity, in Calgary/Airdrie, Alberta. Give Rachel a call.

Worst place to buy any Chinese tube is Ebay and every other China based seller.