LaScalas in Chicago suburb

drewg74

Agreed, too high.  They do look nice.  Badges are in the wrong place on the grill.  Crossovers could likely use a refresh.  IMO, $1200 would be a more reasonable price given the cabinets look as good in person as they do in the photo.

Matt ♪ ♫ ♪

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Matthews said:

Agreed, too high.  They do look nice.  Badges are in the wrong place on the grill.  Crossovers could likely use a refresh.  IMO, $1200 would be a more reasonable price given the cabinets look as good in person as they do in the photo.

Matt ♪ ♫ ♪

Great minds think alike.....

• Like 1

I agree with everybody, the product is in good shape but the price is higher than the average for La Scala. 

I keep track of La Scala selling prices and LS in Condition A or B is $1368, 20 samples.  Because the Type AA XO's are stock I would deduct $100 to update them.

FYI similar LS's sell for High $1500 and Low $1100.  You live in the Chicago area and the Klipsch watchers in that area have said that Klipsch Heritage speakers sell for less than the average selling price due to a regular supply of pre-listened to Klipsch in that market.

Many people here will tell you that you can get a Klipschorn at that $2000 price range and the Khorn is considered a solid upgrade above the La Scala.

Wouldn't buy them for any more than 1367.98....

10 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

You live in the Chicago area and the Klipsch watchers in that area have said that Klipsch Heritage speakers sell for less than the average selling price due to a regular supply of pre-listened to Klipsch in that market.

Who said that?  Not sure how you gathered that info...?  Klipsch in this market goes quickly at what I would call average prices.  Nothing much high, or low....(selling).  I don't think this area is all that much different than other major metro areas.  And no, I'm not keeping spreadsheet.....

Jim, that was the general impression of our buddy Opus.  I consider him an authority on the speaker prices in his area, as I trust your opinion too.  You know your stuff.

You are the spreadsheet.  B)

+++

Disclaimer:  My numbers are just that, numbers on a page that I hope can be helpful in doing research.  I consider the opinions of people in the local market just as valid as the "national" numbers I track.  A Buyer can use my info, get some other opinions and make his own mind up about what any speaker is worth.

The Chicago market is interesting in that there is a decent volume of used equipment and a good number of potential buyers.

Milwaukee seems to have a lot of Klipsch gear and lower prices.

Buyers perspective:

Chicago has a chance for some great deals.  However, there a lot of competition for the cheap gear deals (plenty of forum members fighting for them).

The sellers around here are more likely to try to raise the price when they get a lot of interest in their under priced gear.  I find that smaller town people stick to their word more.

Most of my cheap audio purchases, I have had to drive for.

Sellers perspective:

A seller that wants top dollar in a small town is both helped and hurt, there is less competition in the selling market, but fewer buyers.

A patient person in Chicago can get a higher price.  However, when trying to wait out a good sale price, often a similar item will pop up and sell quickly, if potential buyers see that, they try to talk you down.  Patience and reasonable prices are a sellers best chance of getting a higher price.

Prices:

We should not get caught up on the best price things sold for.  There are deals to be had out there and if you are patient and lucky (and willing to drive), you can find them.

However, don't think that because a pair of Forte popped up and sold immediately at $200 that $500 isn't a fair price for them.  We may be better informed about what gear has sold for, but that doesn't mean we should expect that pricing. 

My buying practices:

I normally don't contact a seller unless I am wiling to pay their asking price.  I'll be honest, I normally only contact the sellers with under priced items.

The only times I offer less is if the item is not as described or it states obo.  I factor in the deal the driving, will it still be a good deal, if it isn't quite as described?

I occasionally offer more than the listed price to make sure they hold the item for me.

My selling practices:

I assess the gear and price things fairly based on condition.  I don't start overly high thinking I will be talked down. 

I have people stop by and try to talk me down, they say "This is CL you have to give me something off." 

No, actually I don't, if it is priced fairly.  I have had many repeat customers.

Last thought:

I have been wrong on pricing.  People have overpriced things, I figured they would never sell for that and they sometimes sell quickly.

You only need one good buyer to sell high.  These look to be good condition La Scala.  There very well may be a buyer that is waiting around for a nice pair and willing to pay $2000.

I don't know of many new speakers out there that can rival the La Scala for anywhere near the price

• Like 4

On 4/3/2017 at 10:10 AM, opusk2k9 said:

I occasionally offer more than the listed price to make sure they hold the item for me.

The whole post is well stated.  Nonetheless, I'll put in my 2 cents.  

Informal transactions, such as CL, garage sales, this forum, etc. are technically governed by contract law principles of offer and acceptance.  In reality, strict legal concepts are a guide, but unenforceable in these situations for many reasons.  Ultimately, you're left relying upon the integrity of the individuals involved.

Legally, if a clueless seller offers a pair of Klipschorns for $100 and I am the first to accept the offer, a contract has been created.  The seller is no longer legally able to sell the Klipschorns to a higher bidder.  Good luck trying to enforce such a "contract" in the real world.  The only way to guarantee the sale at the agreed to price is to get there first with the cash and take delivery before the feeding frenzy.

It could be argued the buyer in the example was taking advantage of the ignorant seller.  When a large response and higher bidders alert the seller to the fact the asking price is too low, it is not unreasonable for the seller to raise the asking price.  Until an offer has been accepted -- which in practice means money has changed hands -- the offer can be revoked to be replaced by an offer at a higher asking price.

Comments on this forum confirm that people are confused about the legalities of offer and acceptance.  There is nothing wrong for a buyer to offer a lower price than the seller is asking.  If the seller accepts the buyer's offer a deal is done.  Nonetheless, it would be naive to rely on the unknown seller to resist later higher offers from other buyers.  Again, until money has changed hands and you have taken delivery, you are relying upon the integrity of a stranger, rather than essentially unenforceable contract law.

In the street level world of such transactions, money talks and bullshit drives home with an empty trailer.  The following are NOT effective acceptances:

- I'll take it;

- Dibbs;

- My cousin wants it; or

- Will you take $X?

As I've stated before, twice I was burned by well known forum members.  I was the first to voice my "acceptance" of their offers, but each ended up accepting a higher offer.  How can you expect total strangers to act any more honorably?

To prevent such "misunderstandings" and disappointments, I would always do the following.  Upon agreeing to a price, I would offer a nominal good faith deposit by PayPal that would be forfeited if I failed to take delivery within a stated reasonable time period.  Without such a deposit, it is unreasonable to expect a seller to turn away cash buyers only to learn that you changed your mind.  As a seller, I would require such a deposit in order to hold the item for a stated time, such as a week.  Naturally, the deposit is forfeited if the buyer fails to complete the transaction in the stated time period.  As a buyer, I would only make a deposit that I could afford to forfeit if the deal goes bad.  Suing to get your deposit back is impractical.

Opus-  I applaud your willingness to offer more than the listed price, " . . . to make sure they hold they hold the item for me."  However, NOTHING short of exchanging cash and taking delivery will protect you from a less than honorable seller.

YMMV

• Like 3

On 4/3/2017 at 10:10 AM, opusk2k9 said:

Prices:

We should not get caught up on the best price things sold for.  There are deals to be had out there and if you are patient and lucky (and willing to drive), you can find them.

Really good posts, both Opus and Dizrotus.

I quoted Mr. Opus because it directly applies to my little piece of the pie, actual selling prices.  I agree that we should not get caught up in "sold" prices.  I document sold prices in a spreadsheet and I think it is useful because it is good for research.  The real estate world does estimating based on comparable, so does Kellys Blue Book.  My info is no different.

If a guy really wants Khorns with a special finish and he's been looking for them all his life, all the little numbers I have don't amount to a hill of beans.  The flip side (get it?) is that sometimes Sellers are just wanting to move large speakers fast and deals are absolutely out there.  Those low numbers don't necessarily reflect an "average" price in a particular market.

Estimating in the used market is a fuzzy science.  It's all about the Art of the Deal.  B)

+++

The listing is now EXPIRED.