Vintage La Scalas Distortion Problem

tastemakah

I've owned Cornwalls, Fortes and just purchased a vintage pair of La Scalas. I hooked them up and marveled at the articulation and detail, but there was really noticable, grating levels distortion and harshness - even at low volume levels. Very strange because these 1996 La Scalas are actually newer than my Corns or Fortes. They look to be in good shape, and power is not a problem - i'm driving them with an Eico HF-81. Not sure if there is a bad driver somewhere or the xovers need to be rebuilt. Any suggestions as to what the culprit might be? Any ideas on how I could diagnose? Thanks!

On 4/2/2017 at 11:28 PM, tastemakah said:

I've owned Cornwalls, Fortes and just purchased a vintage pair of La Scalas. I hooked them up and marveled at the articulation and detail, but there was really noticable, grating levels distortion and harshness - even at low volume levels. Very strange because these 1996 La Scalas are actually newer than my Corns or Fortes. They look to be in good shape, and power is not a problem - i'm driving them with an Eico HF-81. Not sure if there is a bad driver somewhere or the xovers need to be rebuilt. Any suggestions as to what the culprit might be? Any ideas on how I could diagnose? Thanks!

First you have to help us by identifying which driver causes the distortion. 

A good first step would be to loosen and tighten all of the crossover connections and give the squawkers a gentle tightening. 

test amplifier on other speakers, if good take current speakers apart. check all connections. if good inspect crossovers, any bulging caps? 1996 is 21 years ago so electrolytics should be replaced. madisound, meniscus or parts express all can help you out with those. madisound has been selling brand new less than a year old bennics lately which would be my vote. 

if you have another woofer like a little 4 inch full range you can hook it to the squaker and tweeter outputs to see if it creates the same distorted sound. if it doesn't your problem is in the drivers, if it does your problem is in the wiring / crossover. 

an hour of testing could solve all your problems here