Speakers for 5.1.2 Setup - Questions

YesRushGen

Greetings, apologies for post length - just trying to be thorough!

I am in the process of selecting speakers for my home theater system. This is really exciting, being the first time I've had the budget to select some quality components. Comparisons among other manufacturers has consistently led me back to Klipsch, which is why I am here!

I have a few questions, but first my setup:

Room: 17ft X 12ft X 8ft (height). TV/front of system is on a 12ft wall.
AVR: Onkyo TX-RZ810
Speaker Setup: 5.1.2 Dolby Atmos
Use Cases: Primary: movies/concerts (UHD BluRay). Secondary: critical music listening.

The Reference Premiere (RP-250) Home Theater System seems to fit my needs. (Unless I have grossly misunderstood room sizing and amplifier/speaker matching guidelines) It includes:

1. Two RP-250F as fronts
2. One RP-440C as center
3. Two RP-240S as surrounds
4. One R-112SW as subwoofer
5. (separate purchase) Two RP-140SA as elevations

Here are my questions:

1. Is this a well-matched set of speakers for my AVR?

2. The RP-440C center speaker is too wide to fit anywhere in my entertainment center. Can the RP-250C be used instead? The specifications are very similar. Research suggests the 250C would have less low-end punch, but with a dedicated sub-woofer, is that really a big deal?

3. There is some information out there suggesting that dipole/bipole speakers (RP-240S) used as surrounds are not ideal for a Dolbly Atmos setup. Is that true? If so, would the RP-150M/160M make good surround substitutes?

I'd really appreciate some expert advice. Being this is my first quality Home Theater System, I really want to do this right!

Thanks,

Kelly

1.  Honestly it doesn't even hardly matter what they are matched up to as long as it has low distortion and puts out say 80/100watts per channel.  Klipsch are that efficient.

2.  The wider 440C or 450C would be a good fit if the listening position is very far away.  At a closer listening position the 250C actually helps to anchor that center channel better.  The low end of both speakers is of absolutely no consequence.  As long as a center can play down to the 60's it can be crossed at 80 or above and will work great.    I am running a 250C in a room that is 30 feet deep and it works all the way back there.  If the actual listening position were at 30feet, the 440C might be a better choice, but in all honesty even there it's not needed -- at all.  I don't consider it an upgrade.  The 450C or the older RC64......yes.  

3.  Read the Dolby Atmos setup guide, even if you don't yet have the equipment.  it's critical to understanding what you can and cannot achieve in that room, and at what height to place things.  As a 5.xx system versus a 7.xx, I actually think you will prefer bipolar speakers, they are amazing and do a great job providing surround.  There is no issue using those with Atmos.  The issues are more height placement related of all the speakers.

To date, I have not heard an Atmos system that "wowwed" me.  Don't get me wrong -- every one of those systems wowwed me on it's own, but the Atmos element has not.  it could very well be that I have not yet been in a theater with the Atmos suggested 14 foot ceiling height, and without that higher ceiling the atmos maybe gets a bit lost/muddled.  But many like it/love it, and mine is just one opinion.

95% of the sound will come from your room itself.  Whatever speakers are placed in there, the room needs to be layed out properly and treated if at all possible.  People spend a fortune on systems only to find out the weakest link is what is really holding them back, often, the room and how it is setup.    A few acoustic panels at the first reflection points, at a minimum will imo double your enjoyment of any system.  

You have picked out a good system.  Klipsch surround speakers are actually a plus for HT and Dolby Atmos.  Atmos is based on directional cues and the Klipsch speakers will do that better than almost any brand that I can think of.  Care should be taken in setting up an Atmos system.  It sounds as if you may be in a basement or or small room.  Elevation speakers work better with ceiling heights greater than 8 ft. and not drop ceilings.

Thanks for the responses. It sounds like I've chosen a good selection of speakers, and simply need to be mindful of placement and room acoustics. I've downloaded, saved and read through the Dolby Atmos setup guide on Dolby's site. I'll be sure to follow the recommended heights and angle considerations when placing/mounting the speakers.

I can't convey enough how excited I am to hear this setup in action. From the specs alone, it is going to be leaps and bounds beyond the system I've had for the last 12 years.

Thanks so much for the advice!

Kelly

Ideally direct firing surrounds are used in Atmos but Dolby has backed off this recommendation.  At first they were saying strictly direct firing speakers at the same height as the main but they don't say that anymore, they allow dispersed type of speakers as well as slightly elevated.  

I will say though that two 140SA's aren't going to satisfy you, I have yet to meet a single person that were happy with just two of these.  Four would be ok, however the 280FA's are superior to the modules.  By the time you got towers plus modules you might as well get the 280FA's but I realize it's a higher up front cost.  

8 minutes ago, MetropolisLakeOutfitters said:

Ideally direct firing surrounds are used in Atmos but Dolby has backed o...(snip)

Hey Met your font is blue on a dark gray background.  It does not show up well on the Forum's "Dark" theme.  (see bottom of screen for themes)

I thought you might like to know.  I haven't yet found any high light color I like that works in both themes.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MetropolisLakeOutfitters said:

Ideally direct firing surrounds are used in Atmos but Dolby has backed off this recommendation.  At first they were saying strictly direct firing speakers at the same height as the main but they don't say that anymore, they allow dispersed type of speakers as well as slightly elevated.  

I will say though that two 140SA's aren't going to satisfy you, I have yet to meet a single person that were happy with just two of these.  Four would be ok, however the 280FA's are superior to the modules.  By the time you got towers plus modules you might as well get the 280FA's but I realize it's a higher up front cost.  

1. Yeah, I was happy to read that in the Atmos setup guide. Surrounds can be elevated a max of 25% higher than Fronts which is very convenient for this room.

2. I really did fret over the 5.1.2 vs 5.1.4 decision when starting this project. Unfortunately, it's beyond changing now. I've already received the Onkyo TX-RZ810 and it only supports up to 7.1 or 5.1.2. Worst case, if I'm not happy with the setup, I can sell my 140SA's and revert to a 5.1 non-Atmos setup for the immediate future. (Unless there's a way to use Line 3 outs with a secondary amp as the additional height channels - don't think so though)