Mounting Khorns to ceiling

smoil

In an effort to free up a little more workshop space I'm going to invert and mount my Khorns to the ceiling.  Does anyone here have any experience with this?  Any ideas if the the top and bottom sections should be inverted 180 degrees or just position the bass bin above the top hat?

I don't know the answer to your question.

Thinking outside the box, if you are going to fly them you might consider turning them sideways.

+++

I love my Khorns but if you might want to consider selling them because mounting 175 pound speakers seems a bit difficult to me and you could take the money and get some speakers, maybe even industrial La Scalas that are more easily ceiling mounted.

Just put them upside down in the corners where the ceiling meets the walls.  The ceiling becomes the "floor."  Seal them into the corners just as if they were on the real floor.  I've seen this done in clubs.  I've even seen where they're suspended  from a high ceiling, but have false corners and a false floor attached.  Good luck.  Don't drop them.  Pictures are requested, preferably not taken in an ER.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, richieb said:

Remember what is said - There is a fine line between genius and insanity. And I'm not sure which one we are approaching --

I had the exact same thought but could not put it to words . Well Done !

1 hour ago, cincymat said:

Wow, what an excellent example of creative problem solving. I might anchor the bass bins to the side walls so nothing gets squished should they blast themselves into space. 

Please post pictures. 

Mark

Well Mark I've gotta' tell ya - if I knew That was your intention with the KHorns I would have nixed that deal early on. I'm sure I might still have some kind of legal recourse ? 

2 minutes ago, richieb said:

Well Mark I've gotta' tell ya - if I knew That was your intention with the KHorns I would have nixed that deal early on. I'm sure I might still have some kind of legal recourse ? 

I'm not creative enuf to think that far outside the box! 

It it would be interesting to have 25 ft high cathedral ceilings with 4 sets of Khorns. 2 flying and 2 grounded. 

Mark

If they're going into the corner that's pictured but, being hung from above.... I would wonder if you are creating a hazard for hitting the head??

Also, if they're going straight up in that same corner, are you really gaining anything (if indeed you have to watchout from hitting your head)??  

Doesn't look like it's worth the gain from what I see however, that might not be the specific ceiling area and maybe the scale in person is different than what it appears in the picture.

I love it!  What's wrong with you guys.  Is this the Klipsch forum or the wussy Forum?  Sure that could take years and cost millions of lives.  No, in this case, I think we have to go all out. I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part.

And we're just the guys to do it.

So let's do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I note from the pic that there is already a cable run at the top from some previous project. That's good. Easy to run your speakers wires right ot where you need them.

Now what I propose is you build a frame to attach to the ceiling with a groove in it.  You're a machinest so not to hard to figure out how to securely attach said plate to the ceiling studs. You then build a slightly larger bottom plate, attach it to the bottom of the khorn bass bin.  Then simply slide the khorn into the slot like a sliding drawer.  Place a piece of wood over the front of the slot and it won't go anywhere.

If you are not putting something in the freed up corners plop some bass traps in there. Too much bass on the ceiling?  Put some sound absorption  panels in front of the speakers. 

Should sound great.  Go for it.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, richieb said:

^^^^^

In this instance I'm part of the wussy Forum - 

Sigh.

OK. Hop on  a plane to Hancock International Airport in  Syracuse, New York.

Tell the cabbie you want to be taken to the original location of Twin Trees Pizza on the West Side.  Walk in and sit at the middle of the bar, if you can bull your way through the crowd. 

Order a beer. close your eyes.  Listen. Look up and around and to the left an right on the ceiling  you will find the best sounding pair of Hersey's on the planet.

This is not, repeat not, necessarily a bad idea at all. 

Rich, I'm starting to wonder about this growing cynicism of yours.  We'll have to start working on that.  Now start with this tantra:

Theeeeeeeeeebeeeeeeeees.  Theeeeeeeeeeeeeebes.  Theeeeeeeeeeebeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeess...

• Like 1