Tweeter compatibilty

USNRET

So I questioned physical alignment in another thread and then bought a pair of K77s to play with. Then I started to drift off and wondered about cannibalizing the Beyma CP25 from my spare Belle to compare but I need assurance that the Beyma will get along with the AA networks. I have always used aftermarket networks with my Belles with this tweeter.

Im not a pro here, but I have experimented with different tweeters in original klipsch crossovers.. Some say tweeters are interchangeable, but if the non K-77 tweeter is not the exact same specs and frequency response (which it most likely is not), it would require serious crossover mods. Yeah they might drop right in, but you will probably change the exact crossover point and in some instances, you might have both the squaker and tweeter playing the same frequencies... Just my amature experience and 2 cents. Hope this helps.

12 hours ago, USNRET said:

Then I started to drift off and wondered about cannibalizing the Beyma CP25 from my spare Belle to compare but I need assurance that the Beyma will get along with the AA networks

With what speakers?  Your new Khorns don't use the AA.

I'm not familiar with the Beyma CP25 but if you are swapping a tweeter for a tweeter I would think the crossover would control the action unless the Beyma is a completely different animal from the K-77.  The AA should cross over at 6 Khz so that shouldn't stress most tweeters.

3 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

With what speakers?  Your new Khorns don't use the AA.

Yes KHorns Dave. You might recall that I swapped out the AK-5s with AAs due to the cat scratch fever issue I was having (unlistenable, shrill hissing). I got the spare set of K-77s to play alignment with and then thought mayhaps I would see  what the Beyma sounded like on top since it won't fit in stock motor board.

Of cou

1 minute ago, USNRET said:

Yes KHorns Dave. You might recall that I swapped out the AK-5s with AAs

Of course Mike, where's my brain?  I had forgotten you made a complete XO swap out to the AA's.

+++

I have extra components from some DIY projects and I like to mix and match drivers just for the fun of it.  I am the only person I know who has tried such a radical departure from stock tweeters, and did not replace them with Crites parts.

I am interested to see how your Beyma's sound, AFAIK you would be the pioneer with those units in Khorns w/ AA XO's.

Yep, what I do not want to do in my ignorance is damage the Beyma. Sound would be what it is. If wonderful and I get the alignment to work and suit me 'out of the top hat' then I could buy another.

6 minutes ago, USNRET said:

If wonderful and I get the alignment to work and suit me 'out of the top hat' then I could buy another.

I think you've seen the pics of the SEOS waveguide on my Klipschorn tophat.  I moved those all over the place, pointing them directly towards the MLP, pointing them directly backwards into the corner, bouncing them into the center of the room off the wall.  I found I could customize the sound a lot and I liked my results.  You can really customize your soundstage that way.

I would be interested in how the Beyma's and K-77's worked moving them around.  My guess is the K-77's won't have the acoustical output to benefit from pointing any direction except straight ahead.

Beyma CP-25 Technical Specifications

Rated impedance 8 ohms.

Minimum impedance 8.5 ohms.@ 9 kHz

D.C. Resistance 6.1 ohms.

Power capacity* 25 w AES

Program Power 50 w

Sensitivity** 104 dB 1w @ 1m.

Frequency range 2.5 - 20 kHz

Recommended crossover 5 kHz or higher

Dispersion H x V 100° x 60°

Voice coil diameter 37.6 mm. 1.5 in.

CP25%20imagesmaller.jpg

With a recommended XO of at least 5 Khz the Type AA will cross over at 6 Khz, which should not stress that Beyma at all.

• Like 1

Here are the specs for the DNA-360 CD I am currently using on top of my Khorns.

• Impedance: 8 Ohms
  • SPL: 108db 1W/1m
  • 120 watt power handling
  • Frequency response: 950-19,000 Hz
  • Recommended crossover of 1000 kHz or above
  • Ferrite magnet
  • 1.75" voice coil
  • Polyimide diaphragm (replacements available)
  • Flux Density:  1.85 T

dna360_and_de250.png The response curve above shows the DNA-360 in blue and the B&C DE-250 in red. Testing was performed with the SEOS-12 and no crossover network.

Khorn SEOS DNA-360.JPG

Khorn SEOS right top view.JPG

• Like 1

Thank you Dave! Looks safe to proceed whenever I get some time. Still playing with the "room corrector" and letting my back heal from re-stacking the rack several times this weekend.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Marvel said:

Dave, have you tried raising the tweeters another 4-6 inches?  -Bruce

No, I haven't, but that sounds very interesting.  If I could rig some kind of portable stand I could run all the variables I did before.

One element I experienced but didn't talk about is putting the tweeter on the top hat stretches the sound stage vertically above the speaker.  The result is when you go from sitting to standing the sound is 90% the same with a very smooth transition. I would expect raising the tweets as you suggest would smooth that out even more.

I'll give some thought to a stand, but I kind of like the idea of using multiple rubber keyboard pads cut to size so I can raise the tweets easily.  Feel free to make a suggestion if you have a model in mind.

Note:  The pads below are 1/2" each and the face is angled slightly upwards.

Khorn SEOS DNA-360.JPG

Maybe too complex but I am going to ask my bud to design an enclosure that allows tilt and vertical movement; perhaps I am dreaming but he is pretty good on aircraft mods and wood work. This is why I asked about mounting the tweeter in front, recessed or behind the 'face'.

7 minutes ago, USNRET said:

Maybe too complex but I am going to ask my bud to design an enclosure that allows tilt and vertical movement; perhaps I am dreaming but he is pretty good on aircraft mods and wood work. This is why I asked about mounting the tweeter in front, recessed or behind the 'face'.

Can your buddy do the design as well as the build?  If so, that's pretty cool.

You would almost have to go with a wood stand, but man wouldn't it be cool to have something fabricated out of aircraft aluminum?

Carbon fiber?  :cool:

13 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

Can your buddy do the design as well as the build?  If so, that's pretty cool.

You would almost have to go with a wood stand, but man wouldn't it be cool to have something fabricated out of aircraft aluminum?

Carbon fiber?  :cool:

Aluminum would have to at least 7075 .075 T6 if not thicker I would think to prevent vibration. That would mean starting with T-0 temper, fab and then heat treat to T6. Wood it is.

12 minutes ago, USNRET said:

Aluminum would have to at least 7075 .075 T6 if not thicker I would think to prevent vibration. That would mean starting with T-0 temper, fab and then heat treat to T6.

Wood it is.

Uh, yeah, that's what I was thinking as well.  :wacko:

I can't believe I failed to mention it. 

I ended up with my Beyma CP25 attenuated about 3db which is weird considering the graph Al K. provided years ago (see below).  Others have had a similar experience with as much as 6db.

The Beyma cp25 has been a topic of conversation quite a few times around here:

post-2934-13819269886894.gif