Klipsch Belle clone project. Finished and in new house now

avguytx

Thanks...so far, so good it seems.  Kind of excited to get them listenable but just hoping the weather will cooperate along the way.  Plus, with the time change, makes it tougher to work later...although my garage is lit with florescent lighting.  I'm hoping I can get the backs and bottoms painted during this week and the bases built and veneered.  Then they can come in the house and decide on what to finish them with.  I did 8 "samples" on 2 smaller pieces of wood that I veneered and the finish that everyone picked at home, plus a couple of friends, was just doing them in Watco Medium Walnut Danish oil.  It kept that 3D look and had a nice color to it.  The General Finish clear poly came in second; it left a little more reddish color to it which my wife is not normally fond of but actually liked it on those.

On 11/3/2017 at 8:37 PM, Deang said:

The coil value is .50mH

@Deang  I already have those Russian PIO caps I'm going to try out and see how they sound and, if not great, I'll change.  They weren't too expensive.  With the drivers I'm using, what is your recommendation on adding that coil to bandpass the mid?  I'm using a brand new pair of K-33's, K-55/K500 horn, CT120 tweeters, and Type AA crossovers.  These will mainly be played with my Dynaco VTA ST-70 amp or the McIntosh MC250 when it's done.

I think I'm going to sell off the spring loaded K-55's and order some A-55's from Bob. Might as well since most everything else will be new. 

On another note, what's the best way of cleaning kind of rusty looking autoformers and coils on my AA's? Anything that can either shine them up or so I just scuff them up and paint them shiny black? I know they aren't seen but I'm kind of weird like that. Lol. Going to either put them on new boards or take everything off and repaint them black. They have an odd smell to them, too.

20171110_134328-1280x884.jpg

When I refurbished the La Scalas in the thread referenced below, I asked Bob Crites the same question.  IIRC, he suggested soap and water.  In any case, that’s what I did, in addition to replacing the old leaking caps with GE motor-runs from Bob.

Just joined this forum today.  I saw that you built a pair of Belle's where can I find plans to these?  I found some blue prints but they are in German and metric.  I could convert but wondered if there are some in English.  Also,  I have never seen a pair of Belle's apart and I am having a hard time visualizing some of these cuts.  You pictures have been helpful.  Thank you.  

• Like 1

On 11/5/2017 at 5:00 PM, avguytx said:

Ok, I would like some opinions on the edge facing veneer for the fronts. Would you...

A) miter them together at the corners (45 degree) like what La Scala II's are. 

Or

B ) run them like the edges already are. Long strips on the vertical pieces and butt the top and bottom center pieces to the vertical. Like what stock Belles are, I believe. 

I'm doing the tops similar to LSII's in that the tops won't be screwed to the bottom. They'll have a round "puck", of sorts, in the corners between top and bottom. 

A.

Well, that's the direction I went with the front facing veneer edging....mitered. I think it turned out quite good. Backs are also painted black, too. As always, I didn't get all done that I wanted to since I spent a few hours yesterday deliberating on buying a new tool chest (which I did) then a few more hours transferring tools over. Oh well. 

20171112_182421-1280x720.jpg

20171112_182456_crop_720x934.jpg

20171112_193139-1024x576.jpg

20171112_182434-768x1365.jpg

20171112_210318-768x1095.jpg

• Like 6

Thank you. Next step is gussying up these AA crossovers. All the parts are off the board and holes are filled in so I can repaint them and then reposition the parts back on once cleaned up. 

Should I sand the autoformer and inductors and try to make them shiny or take them off and paint them black?

20171110_134328-1280x884.jpg

Yeah, I've had good luck with Nevrdull before on older console tube amp chassis' and was thinking about trying it on these.  Couldn't hurt, I guess.  Only thing is, it leaves a slight film on the metal and I do remember I eventually had to go over the chassis again.  But worth a shot.  Painting gloss black might not be too bad, either. You can hardly ready the writing on them as it is; I could just write values on the bottom side of the board.

On 11/12/2017 at 6:52 PM, avguytx said:

Well, that's the direction I went with the front facing veneer edging....mitered. I think it turned out quite good. Backs are also painted black, too. As always, I didn't get all done that I wanted to since I spent a few hours yesterday deliberating on buying a new tool chest (which I did) then a few more hours transferring tools over. Oh well. 

20171112_182421-1280x720.jpg

20171112_182456_crop_720x934.jpg

20171112_193139-1024x576.jpg

20171112_182434-768x1365.jpg

20171112_210318-768x1095.jpg

Dilly Dilly!