Klipsch Belle clone project. Finished and in new house now

avguytx

Wow... What's been up with the forum today? I tried to post a few times and it was down. Tried on cell and pc. 

Got some more pics to post. Veneer on front pieces and one bottom piece. I'm going to work on getting one bass bin finished up and move to the second one afterwards. Veneer has worked out great with the contact cement so i have to believe it has the backing that works like laminate/Formica. Here's what was accomplished this afternoon. Taking some shape. 

Next step is painting the angled pieces black along with the inner side walls and below the top piece. Then it will be ready to put together. I'm going to wrap the veneer like La Scala II's if I haven't mentioned that. 

I put a little water on the veneer to give an idea of the grain look. I believe it's gonna look damn good. 

20171008_154624-1280x1093.jpg

20171008_160604-768x1365.jpg

20171008_160527-1280x720.jpg

20171008_180942-1280x720.jpg

20171008_181522-1280x720.jpg

• Like 6

Thank you sir. That was a good read. I remember my uncle JB talking about that in the things he built years ago. He was a master craftsman/cabinet maker, etc....died in 1987 at 58 years old. My favorite uncle by far and taught me many things I've used all these years in my builds. He also played a mean upright bass. Not that you guys care about that part. Lol

The worst part about building these is that I don't get to work on them during the weekdays.  Time just doesn't allow.  But I sure get worked up about starting back on them early Saturday morning!  haha.  I think after I pain the areas that need to be done in black and they're drying, I'll start on the tops.  I need to veneer the smaller side panels on the top first which the veneer is already cut out.  May need to paint the bottom side of the top piece black just so it's done and drying too.  It's supposed to be a hot day here Saturday so things should dry fast.  I also need to rebuild the crossovers and pretty them up some.  I really haven't taken a good look at the ones I bought about 6 months ago but I know they're in the box....saw them a little.  If I have enough veneer, I might cover the top side of the bottom section of the top hat so it looks nice like the others and makes  the crossovers look better.  Also trying to come up with a better way of the woofer wire going to  the bass bin as I don't want to drill a hole in the top.  Gotta think on that some. 

I'm rambling....just ready to get back working on them.  That's all.

It was enough dampness to get an idea of how the color is going to be, but that's only the half of it.

Have you decided whether to oil it or varnish or poly? Or follow @Marvel's guide above? I'd want the luster to "be all that it could be" that is really nice veneer!

I haven't gotten that far yet.  When that time comes, I'm going to do some sample pieces and see what happens with different finishes and how they react.  I'm hoping to have enough veneer to re-cover an older JVC QL-F4 turntable plus one pair of Dynaco A25's...maybe two.  Both have some rough looking walnut on them.

But definitely going to take in all that's mentioned on the finish as that gives me more options.

• Like 1

Well, no work done on the speakers today.  But, it was my birthday so we went out and bought a new $3,000 mattress (after lots of bartering) and motorized frame which replaced an almost 20 year old set. It's amazing what these things cost anymore or maybe they were this much 20 years ago and I forgot. But, I've hated our mattress for years so it was a good day still. Hopefully we'll get the best night of sleep tonight and I'll be able to work on them tomorrow. Ha. Always something. 

Maybe after she cooks me chicken enchiladas for dinner, I can tinker with the Mac MC250 amp since I have some goodies that came in. :)

• Like 1

Worked on speakers a little more today. Nothing really exciting to post as most all I did was paint some panels black, where needed, and painted parts of dog houses black. I did put the top and bottoms on one and was going to do the backs and sides but I need to order some speaker terminals for the bass bins. I don't want the wires connecting out of the top so I'm going to take them out of the bottom center back panel between the lower ramps with short banana style posts. That way the bass bins have no holes in the tops just in case I ever do something different. 

• Like 1

I don't know about "young" anymore. Lol. I appreciate the compliment. You're a much more accomplished wood worker than I am...i just know enough to get me in trouble. ;) Definitely hope they'll sound good and be somewhat faithful to the original design. 

• Like 1

I can't wait until you have the boxes finished. They are going to look amazing!

Not to clutter up your thread (but I will anyway), I couldn't find a pic of my maple jumbo that had cool 3D looking grain, but I found this one, and it looks 3D even in the pic. Wish I could afford one of these guitars. Keep in mind, the top is really flat.

Little_Sister.jpg

• Like 1