Klipsch Belle clone project. Finished and in new house now

avguytx

That's a beautiful guitar....it's just amazing what they can make them look like with the right grain.  Definitely a 3-D look and like it has the true texture of what you're seeing.  Heck, I'll be happy if the stain right and take a good clear coat.  haha  Got to do some testing of finishes on spare pieces to see how they react.

Hopefully I can get some good progress on the speakers today since I won't be spending an entire Saturday buying a new bad and having to make a 2 hour round trip to pick it up.  Not to mention moving things around to get it in place.  But that part was worth it....the new bed is awesome.  Today, I need to cut, drill and pain the glue blocks that go in the bass bin and in the upper section so I can attach the side panels.  I'd love to get to the point where I'm veneering the bass bins today but we'll see.  I got some long bolt binding posts from Parts Express in yesterday that will be used for connecting the woofers at the bottom back of the bass bins.  I didn't want the wires to go through the top section of the bass bins just in case one day I decide to do something different on the tops.  Plus, my plan is to make the speakers kind of look like La Scala II's with how they look "separated" in their sections.  Here we go...

Well, one bass bin is starting to look like a bass bin. I need to find some speaker wire so I can go ahead and get the terminals mounted on the back and wired inside the dog house before I can attach it and glue/nail/screw it into place. Then it's time to fill the holes,  sand it down, and lay some veneer. 

20171021_155041-1280x720.jpg

20171021_155059-1280x720.jpg

• Like 3

On 4/3/2017 at 10:29 PM, avguytx said:

Since a fellow forum member had some parts I needed, I'll finally get to start on my Belle clones sometime in the next month...hopefully.  The grill assembly, K-501's, K-55's, and Type A crossovers will be in tomorrow and will reside by the K-33 woofers and CT120's till start time.  Very excited to get them started and will be buying new saw blades for the Baltic Birch cabinets.  I figure that's about the best as there's no good plywood locally at Lowes, etc.  

Still not sure about the Cornwalls after a month of listening. They do sound very good, but, they don't "best" my CF-3's in my living room. Even my wife, who could care less plus has better hearing than me, said they sound "nice" but not like the others. So, most likely they will move along here soon. I sure wish I didn't have tinnitus where things I know sound good, I could hear them like they actually do. My mind has to recreate what it once knew in the past. 

Thanks, John. They're coming along now. I wish I had more time than the weekends to work on them, but... It's taken me 2 years to get to be able to work on them but moms health was bad that year or so before she passed away in January so she came first. :)

• Sad 1

Man sorry to hear about your mother, mine is getting close to those same parts of life right now & yep that's what I'm here for. Family first, you sound like an American to me!

Take your time *with the construction,  you can rush hooking them up and enjoying them for years from the looks of it. I'm interested in seeing those 15"s going in! The v's from the bottom up and the top down inthe bass bin look like you had to angle them in three different directions. Ever put up crown molding in a big house with lots of inside columns and not five feet of a straight wall? It is similar!

Edited by JohnJ

On 10/19/2017 at 10:54 PM, Marvel said:

I can't wait until you have the boxes finished. They are going to look amazing!

Not to clutter up your thread (but I will anyway), I couldn't find a pic of my maple jumbo that had cool 3D looking grain, but I found this one, and it looks 3D even in the pic. Wish I could afford one of these guitars. Keep in mind, the top is really flat.

Little_Sister.jpg

Gibson ES 355?

Nope, it's a B&G Little Sister, hand crafted in Israel. They have some very nice instruments. I just stumbled across them watching YT videos this past week.

https://bngguitars.com/guitars

At one time I had an ES 140. I only paid $100 for it. I foolishly used it on a trade for something else. The pic isn't of mine, but it looks the same.

s-l500.jpg

• Like 1

Yeah, I'd thought about that before going with the terminals but I ended up going with the ring terminals and used some Locktite on the threads down low to keep them in place.  Hopefully, they'll never come undone as getting in there would be a nightmare.  ha

Well, it looks like there won't be any veneer work done on the bass bins today, or any other parts,  as it's 34 degrees outside and only supposed to get to 54 for the high here in central Arkansas. Looks like I'll do some sanding on them and maybe work on the crossovers and clean those up for a recap. Also would be a good day to start a little work on my MC250 amp. But, I may have to bring soldering stuff in the house and work on the dining table (that I built...ha).

I am thrilled that the weather here this weekend is supposed to be in the high 70's low 80's even with a chance of rain.  This will be a weekend of getting veneer on the bass bins, veneering the lower panel of the top section so those can be assembled and then veneer applied to the tops.  After that's done,  I can start the veneer edging and they will really start to look like something.  Also need to build the risers and veneer those which won't be too bad. 

My new Hakko soldering iron will be in today so kind of hoping to tinker with the MC250 tonight or work on the AA crossovers.  But, those need cleaning up before they get the Russian NOS caps put in them.  I'm in planning stage if you can't tell.  It's hard to walk by the cabinets every day in the garage and see no progress.