Klipsch Belle clone project. Finished and in new house now

avguytx

And they are officially in the house now thanks to my wife for helping me carry them up the 10 steps through the front door. :-) All the drivers are in but crossovers aren't done...I'm working on those now. As you can see, I have a guard for them. I figure by next weekend, I can start putting a finish on them.  So close...

20171209_200325-768x914.jpg

20171209_200400-768x985.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Those "are" new caps. :) Well, NOS Russian MBGO paper in oil military caps. I'd asked Dean,  Bob, and a few others and they said those original parts would be fine. I might build something all new but going to try the simple route first and see how they sound. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, avguytx said:

Those "are" new caps. :) Well, NOS Russian MBGO paper in oil military caps. I'd asked Dean,  Bob, and a few others and they said those original parts would be fine. I might build something all new but going to try the simple route first and see how they sound. 

As you were . . . then. ;)

I like the the vintage look.

3 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

Man those look wonderful, excellent finished product. I like the unfinished look myself. What color are you going for? 

With the 8 different stains, poly coats, etc., that we tried, I really like the just poly only look. It had enough color which might darken a little more and it had that 3 dimensional look to it as well. I'm going to keep it simple. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, avguytx said:

With the 8 different stains, poly coats, etc., that we tried, I really like the just poly only look. It had enough color which might darken a little more and it had that 3 dimensional look to it as well. I'm going to keep it simple. 

I think that's a wise choice, it will show that beautiful grain.

Nice job!! I love the woodworking projects from this group. You didn't ask but I've had some good results with a brush on lacquer lately. If I had a little better set up I would spray that but on these flat surfaces it brushes on nicely. I wouldn't add color to that beautifully grained veneer. Should look great no matter what you do.

Thanks! So far, im very pleased with them. Not as much bass as rhe CF-3's, of course, but are sounding great. Actually, I have a Dell SFF i7 Quad desktop with an SSD in it but they rip to an NAS storage. It's a usb connection from the desktop to the Onkyo P-3000R preamp. Works quite well. I use JRiver. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Carbon_66 said:

Excellent work. I went with Natural Danish oil on my Sapele LaScalas.

This is the route that was my main choice of going with.  Did you just go with the Danish oil and nothing else?  At first I thought you had used a RustOleum  Semi Gloss clear on them but looked closer at the can and saw it was Black.  :)

The  other I was considering is the General Finish  Oil & Urethane Arm-R-Seal Topcoat.  I've had really good luck with this brand as my wife and I have redone all the cabinets in the house using their Gel Stain and Poly Topcoat.  Their Arm-R-Seal gets good reviews and I do want them to have some sort of protective coat on them just to be on the safe side.  It's two different types of veneer on my speakers; the larger pieces are phenolic backed veneer similar to what's on counter tops, etc., and was applied with contact cement which was what the person I bought the 3 sheets from recommended.  The edge banding is the typical iron on type.  I just want to make sure whatever is used for the tops doesn't affect the glue bond.

17 hours ago, avguytx said:

My wife "made me" hook the crossovers up so I could listen to them so, guess what.....they work!!! Please excuse the mess and the temporary towels on them as they don't have a finish on them yet. But they work!! 

You've got yourself a good lady that will take an active part in contributing to your Klipsch habit !

• Like 2

On ‎12‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 10:06 AM, avguytx said:

Speakers look fantastic.  You might send the "new" crossovers to Bob to put on his spectrum analyzer.  I had identical issues with 2 separate autoformers that only replacing them would fix.  Ask Bob specifically about the ones I sent him.  I don't trust the old ones anymore.  The air coils should be fine.