Klipsch Belle clone project. Finished and in new house now

avguytx

Yes. I have that and a DTL-200 CD player both signed. I've known Bob since about 1987 and more so from 2003 till 2009 when I was a Sunfire rep. We had a Sunfire promo called "A Night With Bob Carver" and I brought the amp to it and he signed it. At another time, I'd shipped him the CD player and he worked on it some and signed it. Helluva good person . 

On 12/27/2017 at 10:51 AM, CECAA850 said:

Every journey begins with just one..............pile of sawdust.  Outstanding! 

That number of cuts would translate to about 6 trips of the circuit breaker in my garage.  Unfortunately, the garage is on the same circuit as my computer so I learned long ago to shut off the computer before making sawdust.

I admire your woodworking skills.  I have neither talent nor patience to produce such fine furniture.  If it weren’t for Duratex, I’d be lost.

30 minutes ago, DizRotus said:

That number of cuts would translate to about 6 trips of the circuit breaker in my garage.  Unfortunately, the garage is on the same circuit as my computer so I learned long ago to shut off the computer before making sawdust.

I admire your woodworking skills.  I have neither talent nor patience to produce such fine furniture.  If it weren’t for Duratex, I’d be lost.

My tracksaw would trip a breaker if I tried cutting 2 sheets at once.  I have a new service out there on a 20A breaker so I'm good to go now.  Since that new line was put in I checked the receptacle that I used to use that popped the breaker.  The previous owner used the faceplate to actually hold the box in place (I wondered why it was so loose) and there was a romex connector in the wall that was twisted and secured with electrical tape, no wire nuts, no box.  I've had to correct a bunch of electrical fubars over the years.  Every time I go into a wall or update something I shake my head in disbelief.  He was big on undersizing wires as well.

1 hour ago, DizRotus said:

Ha!  Fortunately, I don't trip many breakers while I'l doing this stuff.  The problem I have in the garage is there is a GFCI outlet on one wall (with stuff kind of hiding it) that seems to trip every time lightning strikes within 10 miles or we have a flicker of a brownout thus knocking out the garage door opener.  I swear I'm going to pull that outlet and put a regular one in and either use a GFCI breaker at the panel or move that GFCI outlet to an adjourning outlet in line with it.  Drives me nuts.

I haven't had a chance to start on the grills yet.....been too dang cold in the garage to do much of anything.  I'm hoping to get to work on them this weekend.  If I can at least  get the parts cut out, I can cover them in the house.  I'll also have to make a couple of 1x1" strips of wood for mounting them to the side walls and doghouse; either angled or straight.  No biggie.

Just do it indoors.;)  When it got too cool to use contact cement outside, I completed the job in the basement.  My wife was quite upset by the resulting stink that permeated the whole house.

So the bird died.  She’ll get over it.

• Like 1

Haha....funny!  I figure I can use some spray glue, like 3M Super 33, for the tackiness in the front and then bring them inside and staple everything on.  They only have to fold over the top edges and everything behind it will be hidden; staples, etc.  I've covered many, many things through the years of car audio using all sorts of materials.  It will be similar to doing tweed upholstery as you have to watch the "grain pattern" and keep it straight.

I'm thinking about building an AB-2 network for my Belles as it allows passive bi-amping where I could run both the Mac MC250 and VTA ST-70 on them and flip flop to see what sounds best in that pair.  The AB-2 , AK-3 and AL-3 are the exact same crossover with the exception of some added resistors on the AK-3 and AL-3  I need to research and see what buying independent parts versus finding a pair of older crossovers on auction that I can get the T4A,  4mh coils, and terminal strips off of and build.  

Anyone have an old pair of AL-3's or AB-2's per chance?  ;)  (I'll start a thread in GS for that)

Does anyone know what the crossover points and slopes are on the AB-2, AL-3, and AK-2/3 networks?  They appear to be all about the same and use an 18db/oct HP and zobel network on the tweeter circuit.  Woofer looks like 12db/oct and mid maybe 6db/oct bandpass with whatever the mid drivers' natural rolloff is.  Just curious.

On 1/8/2018 at 9:54 AM, avguytx said:

Does anyone know what the crossover points and slopes are on the AB-2, AL-3, and AK-2/3 networks?  They appear to be all about the same and use an 18db/oct HP and zobel network on the tweeter circuit.  Woofer looks like 12db/oct and mid maybe 6db/oct bandpass with whatever the mid drivers' natural rolloff is.  Just curious.

Al

These are what I used and just made the adjustments based on the wood thickness.  Both of these have been out there for awhile now, too.  I also used a program called MaxCut v2 that laid out all the cuts for the 3 sheets of Baltic Birch I used.

Belle_LATEST (1).pdf
Belle K510.pdf
Thanks a million!!
Started a new thread... Maybe I can delete it 🤣

Very happy

40 minutes ago, mach-1 said:

All the above listed xovers are junk. The Klipsch A is the best for listening,  The real Klipsch AA has the 18dB slope  for the EV T35(K77) and 2x $30 each 1N3996 z diodes for protection to piss off the neighbors SPL.

I wouldn't be using the zener diodes as I don't have K-77 tweeters and I do see now that is a notch filter on the AB-2 network for the K-77 and not a zobel (which is resistor/cap).   Even with Bob's drivers on the top end, I would think a tad sharper slope would be good for them.  I do tend to jam on occasion...just not like I used to.