Klipsch Belle clone project. Finished and in new house now

avguytx

21 hours ago, avguytx said:

These are what I used and just made the adjustments based on the wood thickness.  Both of these have been out there for awhile now, too.  I also used a program called MaxCut v2 that laid out all the cuts for the 3 sheets of Baltic Birch I used.

Belle K510.pdf

I am glad this has been useful and that you were able to use it. Did you find any errors or omissions? I can update them if you did.

Joe

Hey Joe!  Yes, those plans were an enormous help and I don't really have any changes anywhere.   I couldn't be any happier with how they turned out but do know I'd do some things a little different if I ever built another pair.  I had to make my own alterations as I was using Baltic Birch, which was metric cut, and I believe was right at 11/16" thickness.  There were some walls I had to adjust here and there but nothing major.  

I'm thrilled to be 95% done.  ha.  I just have bass bin grills to make once the weather cooperates with me here again for garage work.

Thanks again!

Ordered all new parts today to build a Type AA crossover just to have something all new.  It may not be what everyone would work with for parts but it will work for me and my tinkering.  I now know what an original parts Type AA from older Belle's sounds like with adding Russian MGBO NOS paper in oil caps and they sound good but seem a little laid back.  With my tinnitus and non-extended HF hearing these days, I need something that runs a little hotter in the upper register.  So instead of just replacing caps in what I have, I decided to "go new".  I have a pair of 3636 autoformers from Bob coming, then Audyn Plus caps for the tweeters and Q4 for the squawker, Jantzen coils for the tweeter and Erse for the woofer, and barrier strips from Parts Express.  I also ordered the parts @Deang recommended in the Type AA build thread from Mouser. 

Maybe they'll be here by the end of the week and I can find some time to build them.  Saturday, I'm installing an add-on remote start in my best friends' wife's Ford Edge Sport (his birthday present to her...my install).  He and I have been best friends for over 41 years now and her for over 30 years.  

• Like 1

New 3636 Autoformers from Bob C came in yesterday and I should be seeing my Parts Express order with the caps, coils, barrier strips, and other parts today.  And I have two Mouser orders that should show up today, as well.  I had ordered the terminals, per Dean's thread, along with some main filter caps for my Sunfire sub that was buzzing.  I emailed Bob (Carver) on Tuesday morning and we emailed back and forth a little about what to do with the sub.  He said it was "easy" and told which capacitors to change out so those were ordered "after" my first order.  No biggie.  Bob Carver is a helluva guy and I'm proud to say I've known him for about 30 years now.  He's hoping to get to finally retire but "just can't seem to stop", as he put it.  

I'm "hoping" that I can build and cover the grills for the Belle's this weekend as it's actually supposed to get to 50 degrees outside!  Woo hoo!  I'd like to have them completely done before they go to my best friends house in his upstairs music room for storage in the next couple of months.  Maybe there'll be time to build the new AA networks, too, this weekend.  Since our offer was accepted for the land, we will be packing some things away and putting in a storage building to have the house cleared out some to get it listed  But, stereo things are not going into storage....my buddy offered to store all of my electronics stuff.  

I'll be listing my CF-3's at some point in Garage Sale, too.  I'd rather whittle things down than pack them away and hoard them.  They won't see much use with the new speakers.  

• Like 2

All parts for crossovers are in as of today.  Hopefully I can get started on them this weekend....even if it's the boards are cut out and sanded.  Most likely Sunday sometime as I have a remote start to install tomorrow for my best friends wife and we need to meet with someone that has to partially bush hog the lot so the perk test guys don't "get hurt" trying to dig a hole.  Fun fun...

• Like 1

Finally had time yesterday to build the grill frames and got them painted last night.  I'm hoping to get the grill cloth one them one night this week...maybe tonight.  The bass bin grills shouldn't be too bad to cover since each pair of panels can lay flat and then staple them from the back side, fold them into a "V" and get them in place.  I'm going for the "pressure fit in place so I don't have to drill any holes in the cabinets.  But, still may make the vertical "runners" that would mount to the inner part of the outside walls of the bass bins plus on the dog houses and secure them with small phillips screws.

Also need to run to Lowes and get some 3/4" wood of some sort for making the crossover boards.   They'll just be painted black most likely as any other wood grain would "clash" with the ribbon mahogany.  haha

(From other thread) 

I think what I'm going to do is cover all 8 bass bin grill pieces separately, attach wood pieces on the bass bins to set them in place, and screw them in with small black screws.  I'll do a light misting of craft spray glue to stretch the cloth over to get it lined up plus that will help to make sharp edges  at the front angles that are visible.  I sat the single grill in that I did yesterday (that I didn't like) and my wife said it looked great but, to me, the cloth is not tight enough and doesn't look right.  I believe all 8 covered and attached like I mentioned will work out fine.  I've not built an "exact replica" of Belle's; I've added some of my own touches to them so I don't believe it's going to make much difference on the grills.  

That reminds me....I need to get more upholstery staples picked up or ordered today so they'll be ready.  

I cut out some crossover boards yesterday out of some Baltic Birch scraps I had and put some General Finish Seal a Cell on them.  I'm keeping these basic since they aren't seen anyway.  I've got all the parts in and ready to go but I may have to find an alternate for the grounding wire that @Deang recommended; I hated to spend $25 for only needing less than a foot.  Maybe I should have spent the extra money on the Erse 16awg 2.5mh inductors versus the 18awg.  Oh well....there'll always be another Parts Express order.

You can use 16AWG solid copper wire for the terminal strip - but it will oxidize and get nasty over the next few years. 

Honestly, I would send those coils back and get the Super-Q’s. 

I can send you some buss wire and stranded wire. Seriously, better to wait a bit and do it right. Trust me, you will hate yourself if you half *** it. 

• 2 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, avguytx said:

Ok, I need some help with the 3636 autoformers. What are input and output in comparison to the original T2A to keep the mids at the same -3db level and the tweeter output the same as original? 

@Deang are you still awake? Or anyone out there? Ha

For that attenuation, use all the exact pin numbers as the T2A used.

Bob Crites

Maybe not my best work ever but they are soldered together and are installed and playing now. I can definitely tell a difference in overall sound quality even in the couple of songs I've played. Much more open on the mid and top end and I don't hear that odd out of phase sound anymore. Bass also sounds better, too. Now to finish up those Bose 601's and get them sold while I'm listening. 

@Deang thanks for all your help and tolerating the messages and thanks to @BEC for such great products that I'm happy to have in my "new Belles".  

Yes, I know... I  need to get some stainless screws and swap out.  All I had were the old school black oxide screws on hand. 

20180217_121139-800x623.jpg

• Like 2