Klipsch Belle clone project. Finished and in new house now

avguytx

Yeah, we better take advantage of this awkward November weather before it's too cold to do any kind of veneer work unless inside a well ventilated heated shop.  Well, maybe the heat off while working with contact cement, etc.  If I can get them veneered and lightly sanded, I can do the finishing inside the house if I go with the same type of Poly coat we used on the kitchen cabinets.  That stuff works like a champ.  Plus with the holidays coming up, time seems to slip by and since I don't work for a school district now where I'm off for almost 20 days during Christmas break, I have less down time.  That's ok....I like the new pay and perks better.

But yes, I'm definitely excited to get them finished and listen to them.

Since I'm at a reasonably close point of actually being able to hear the Belle project, I'm again deliberating on the crossovers.  I have those NOS Russian MBGO PIO caps that are matched per pair (man, that's a lot of acronyms) so the caps can be swapped out easily in my Type AA crossovers.  I plan on taking the KLiP circuit out as I have CT120's going in, also.  I guess the thing would be to try this as it sits and see how they sound before changing anything else out.  I've re-read @Deang's thread again on the Type AA build and like the simplistic nature of this crossover but still wondering if there's enough discernible difference to change them where the K-55 is bandpassed and crossed over on the top side and bring the CT120's down to 4500Hz or so.

I know the Type A/4500 can be made from the Type AA with the addition of one inductor.  Anyone know what that value is per chance?  I thought I had written that down somewhere but apparently not.  @wvu80  Did you ever do anything with the Type A/4500 crossovers you got a year ago>

I may eventually switch to the A-55 mids but haven't gotten to that point yet.

Mainly wondering as I can get the bass bins done maybe this weekend and could sit the grill with the drivers and crossovers on top while I finish the top sections. 

2 hours ago, avguytx said:

I know the Type A/4500 can be made from the Type AA with the addition of one inductor.  Anyone know what that value is per chance?  I thought I had written that down somewhere but apparently not.  @wvu80  Did you ever do anything with the Type A/4500 crossovers you got a year ago>

I recently sold my Khorns and had them upgraded with the K-55-M and the A/4500 but put everything back to stock for the sale.  When the Buyer took possession of the Khorns he bought the K-55-M's and the A/4500 right on the spot.

FYI the Type AA's sound fantastic!  The A/4500's take care of that known dip between 4500 Hz and 6000Hz but if you do this you must change the tweeter as the K-77 will not handle the lower XO point.  I could not hear any difference in that frequency range, even though I knew where it was and what to listen for.  I played material to expose that exact frequency range, I just couldn't hear any difference.

I didn't think to write down the values when I had the A/4500's.  The Z-cap is 3.9.  Maybe this picture will help.

Crites A-4500 top 01-03-17.JPG

Thanks for posting the pic...I appreciate it.  I bet the values of that coil are on the side of it somewhere.  No biggie.  I'll find it somewhere if I go that route.  Thanks again!

I'm using a new pair of CT120's so no worries.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, avguytx said:

Thanks for posting the pic...I appreciate it.  I bet the values of that coil are on the side of it somewhere.  No biggie.  I'll find it somewhere if I go that route.  Thanks again!

Because you mentioned it, I went back and looked and found I did have another picture.  I don't see any values, but maybe someone else can help.

Khorn Crites a-4500 closeup.JPG

Didn't get a lot done today like I'd planned. Had to go to inlaws house for a few hours so that jacked the day up. Got the 6 veneer pieces cut for the tops and sides so I went ahead and veneered the tops. Turned out quite good. It was hard to get a decent picture of both of them done under florescent lighting but here's one. Tried to take one with both but it was too light. Maybe I can work on them tomorrow. 

20171104_185431_crop_1058x719.jpg

• Like 3

I'm not really sure I've gotten to the peak yet or not.  lol.  Maybe so with the bass bins being actually put together and it's just the veneer stage now.  I'm letting some contact cement sit at the moment and am going to get the sides on tonight hopefully.  Might even attempt some of the front veneer facing on them, too.  Depends on what goes on here in the next little while.

Ok, I would like some opinions on the edge facing veneer for the fronts. Would you...

A) miter them together at the corners (45 degree) like what La Scala II's are. 

Or

B ) run them like the edges already are. Long strips on the vertical pieces and butt the top and bottom center pieces to the vertical. Like what stock Belles are, I believe. 

I'm doing the tops similar to LSII's in that the tops won't be screwed to the bottom. They'll have a round "puck", of sorts, in the corners between top and bottom. 

@avguytx if you've got the veneer tops of the bass bins overhanging that fraction you would need and they are already mitered GO FOR IT! You know they would be masterpieces! Only problem will be you've got to protect them from young-ins with nerf balls inside on rainy days! 

They know to steer clear of my stuff or ol' dad will open a 55 gallon drum of whoop a$$ on someone. Lol. (To quote Roy D Mercer) My corners now aren't mitered...they are like what Belles came stock as but it wouldn't be that bad to miter the corners since the front facing is flat. Of course, the other way is a tad easier. 

• Haha 1

A couple more pics. Hard to get good ones in the garage with the lighting.  That spot one the front is sweat. It was humid out there!

One of the best looks with that veneer of the 8 things I put on sample pieces was with Watco Medium Walnut Danish oil. It kept that neat look of the ribboned Mahogany effect. 

Sorry for the crappy photos. 

20171105_195513-768x1111.jpg

20171105_195539-768x1110.jpg

• Like 1