Heresy HBR Help

Good evening.  Just bought my first set of Heresy's.  Got a pair of HBR's locally.  They need work.  Cabinets are going out this week for refinishing.  However one speaker has a series of small tears.  Any recommendations on where to have the speaker repaired also how do I date the set of speakers I have.  

Thanks

Matt

First of all, welcome to the Klipsch forum, Atom!  :emotion-21:  :cool:  :emotion-19:

Second of all, you came to the right place.  Lots of friendly knowledgeable people here who can help guide you to the proper care and feeding of your HBR's.  Pictures are always welcomed.

The answer to your question about the birthdate of your speakers is here, all you need is the s/n's.

It threw me off a bit at first about the series of tears in your "speaker."  Most people around here call it  the "driver."  The speaker is the overall box that includes the HF horn, Mid horn or "squawker" and the woofer driver, and a crossover network, aka a XO.

Fellow Klipschites will be along shortly who can help you with that repair.

7 hours ago, Atombomb516 said:

Good evening.  Just bought my first set of Heresy's.  Got a pair of HBR's locally.  They need work.  Cabinets are going out this week for refinishing.  However one speaker has a series of small tears.  Any recommendations on where to have the speaker repaired also how do I date the set of speakers I have.  

Thanks

Matt

Pictures would be helpful to assess the most appropriate way to fix the cone.  A problem on the surround or center dust cap would be fixed differently than the cone itself.

Good morning.  Sorry for the lack of things in the original post it was late and I realized I left a bunch out.  I am attaching some photos. I also noticed that one crossover is different from the other.  They are both Type E and  both appear all original with no modifications.  

The woofer in one speaker has issues.  You can see in the photo and I need to have it properly repaired  so any direction on where to have that done will be appreciated. 

I bought these speakers from my cousins husband.  He is the second owner.  The first owner bought them in Germany while in the military in the early 80's at a PX.  Scary is that I have a photo at one point of the speakers attached to the rear hatch of car stereo system.  So they have lived a hard life.  I will look for any direction on restoration.

Thank you!!!

IMG_6421.PNG

IMG_6422.PNG

IMG_6423.PNG

Good morning.  Sorry for the lack of things in the original post it was late and I realized I left a bunch out.  I have photos. Also notice that one crossover is different from the other.  They are both Type E and it appears all original with no modifications.  

The woofer on one speaker has issues.  You can see in the photo and I need to have it properly repaired.  

I bought these speakers from my cousins husband.  He is the second owner.  The first owner bought them in german while in the military in the early 80's at a PX.  Scary is I have a photo at one point of the speakers attacked the rear car stereo system.  So they have lived a hard life.  I will look for any direction on restoration.

Thank you!!!

OK!  X is 1982.  The best performing Heresy 1, it should have a solder terminal K-55-V squawker. 

The little black goomer across the woofer terminals on one of your crossover should be removed. 

Here is a schematic for the crossover.

TypeE.jpg

Your bad woofer can be reconed, or replaced.  You can buy replacements from Klipsch or maybe Bob Crites (http://www.critesspeakers.com/). 

You can get them going by applying Elmer's Glue to the holes and reinforcing the holes with cigarette paper.  I'd want that one replaced before long.  Make sure both woofers are K-22-somethings. 

Have you listened to them?  *If* they sound a little dull and distant, the capacitors need to be replaced.  Lots of us replace them when they are that old just due to age.  Use a film and foil cap that is expensive as you are willing to buy.  I like Musicaps, but I will also use these

https://www.parts-express.com/audiocap-ppt-theta-20uf-200v-film-foil-capacitor--027-724

or these

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-dmpc-20-20uf-250v-polypropylene-capacitor--027-414

https://www.parts-express.com/solen-20uf-400v-polypropylene-capacitor--027-534

Get them restored and listen a while.  They should be on the floor, near one or more walls and probably tilted up, depending on your room.  We have developed some crossover mods suitable for certain situations, if you want to tailor the sound. 

John

Thanks for the note.  The more I look at these the more Ibsee things that I miss.  I see that one of the crossovers is a Type E the other is a Type E2.  How much difference is there between the two?  Also can these still be used together since the crossovers are different?

the woofers are both K-22 and the tweeters are the same as well however the horns appear to be different.  Should I take them black cap out or add one to the other crossover.  Also what color should the cabinets have originally been? Thanks for everything so far!

Matt

IMG_6433.PNG

IMG_6434.PNG

2 hours ago, Atombomb516 said:

John

Thanks for the note.  The more I look at these the more Ibsee things that I miss.  I see that one of the crossovers is a Type E the other is a Type E2.  How much difference is there between the two?  Also can these still be used together since the crossovers are different?

the woofers are both K-22 and the tweeters are the same as well however the horns appear to be different.  Should I take them black cap out or add one to the other crossover.  Also what color should the cabinets have originally been? Thanks for everything so far!

Matt

IMG_6433.PNG

IMG_6434.PNG

One midrange driver is a K55M IN BLACK(LATER VERSION), and the other one is ALSO a K55M IN SILVER (EARLIER VERSION or an identical replacement)...the "M" in K55 nomenclature denotes a magnet made from compressed and heated (baked) magnetic MUD slurry, instead of the previously-used alnico magnets.  So those drivers SHOULD perform identically, even though they LOOK different.  Your serial numbers are not consecutive, and the speakers were not built at the same time, but WERE BUILT in the same year.  THis is not uncommon at all for HBR speakers sold on U.S. European military installaions by the PX or the USAREUR Audio/Photo Club agencies IN Europe to American servicemembers at that time. "THis guy bought TWO Birch Heresys...pull two from the warehouse and load them up for him"...is about al they told the warehouse people, who didn't pay any attention to ensuring they were pairs with consecutive serial numbers...they just grabbed two boxes and loaded them up.

As for the damaged woofer cone (and also the voice coil dust cover from what I see in the pic)...it may or may not need a complete re-build instead of just a re-coning...because if anything got into that voice coil area (to include the coil itself and the tube in which it resides...and to include CORROSION of either one!), if it is not ALREADY damaged and/or rubbing, it probably WILL be doing so if ONLY basic a re-coning is done on the woofer.

On 4/4/2017 at 5:54 PM, Atombomb516 said:

John

Thanks for the note.  The more I look at these the more I see things that I miss.  I see that one of the crossovers is a Type E the other is a Type E2.  How much difference is there between the two?  Also can these still be used together since the crossovers are different?

Matt

WOW!  Do you have a Heinz mixture.  Your serial numbers need to be added to the "codes" thread. 

I have never seen a Heresy I with a K-55-M squawker ( I have 4), though 1982 was the transition year.  So, what I think you have is an unusual H I and what we have called a Heresy 1.5 (the one with the cadmium plated squawker later used in the Heresy II).  Its woofer may be different, accounting for the E-2 crossover.  Ignore my comment about the goomer, it is correct.  

Heresy E2.jpg

You should still restore them and listen, though they may sound a little different from each other. 

My La Scalas were mismatched.  One is an '81 (with K-55-V) and the other an '82 (with K-55-M).  in my search to make them match, I first found a grey K-55-V and so the die was cast.  As Providence provided, this was also the configuration I heard and liked when I first discovered Klipsch.  i had Klipsch make me a crossover to match the -V and we've lived happily ever after. 

After you listen a while, you may want to make them match.  The K-55-M driver was a contract made driver made by E-V and is a good driver.  I have not knowingly heard a H 1.5 or H II with the Hepner squawker.  Lots of folks like them and they should be readily available on ebay, etc. 

Which one has the sad woofer?  If it does not match the other woofer, that might indicate what you do to make them match.  I have a square magnet K-22-E I bought for spare parts (foolishly) that I now never expect to need.  I will sell it to you.  PM me for more. 

• 2 weeks later...

Ok all sorry for the time away work has kept me busy.  The speakers are all broken down  and I will start veneer removal this week.  Here are the "guts" of each speaker.  So you can see what came with what. Sorry about the pile of 78's in the background of one of the photos!

IMG_6482.PNG

IMG_6481.PNG

After you listen to them for a while, we have crossover changes if you think you'd like to change the sound. 

What kind of amplifier will you use? 

What does the ink stamp on the cadmium plated squawker say? 

11 hours ago, Atombomb516 said:

Ok all sorry for the time away work has kept me busy.  The speakers are all broken down  and I will start veneer removal this week.  Here are the "guts" of each speaker.  So you can see what came with what. Sorry about the pile of 78's in the background of one of the photos!

IMG_6482.PNG

IMG_6481.PNG

"VENEER REMOVAL"....??? those cabinets are birch plywood....if the wood is damaged then just fill it in and either paint the cabinet or veneer over it.  I may have even been the guy who built them, depending on when they were built.  If you remove the veneer, there is just another layer under it with the grain being cross-grained to the veneer you removed.  PLUS the plys under that veneer are not pretty, NOR are they conducive to adding new veneer over those plys...is best to fill in the outer plys where chipped, etc...sand everything SMOOTH, remove all sanding residue and then re-veneer over the that.

Me? I would either build new boxes using the original front and rear panels...or just build completely new just re-using the back panels...much less hassle!

• Like 1

On 4/3/2017 at 11:51 PM, Atombomb516 said:

Thanks

Matt

Hi Matt.

I just did a complete rebuild of a pair of Heresys in December. Below is a video I made of the project.

Some on the forum criticized me for my budget on the project - $1500, but in the end I had a virtually new pair of speakers with modern/updated drivers.

Your experience is exactly why I went my route. I knew I could not leave a 40yr old pair of speakers alone and that is assuming there were no other issues with a used pair of almost 40yr old speakers. 

Crites was able to supply everything I needed and the misc. stuff was found on Amazon.

I hope the video helps