Leaving tubed equipment on.

eth2

I accidentally left my amp and preamp on from Friday to Monday. I then did a Google search to see what, if any, damage I did. Well, I found no agreement, even on this Forum. Some engineers argue that it is the heat up/cool down cycle that does damage and point to military and studio equipment that is left on continuously. . Others point to the finite lifespan of tubes, resistors, transformers.
Can't we agree on anything?? How about the relative value of high and low end speaker wire and audio cables?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Wires... who cares, it's your system.

I say run what you want.

I just bought these Schmidt wires... not because I expect some sonic bliss but because I wanted a clean look and easier ability to take them on/off.

33509838402_ac4eb64e83_k.jpg

They weren't that expensive... but certainly more expensive than the 500' roll of oxygen free wire I already had sitting in the closet.

• Like 1

I accidentally left my amp and preamp on from Friday to Monday. I then did a Google search to see what, if any, damage I did. Well, I found no agreement, even on this Forum. Some engineers argue that it is the heat up/cool down cycle that does damage and point to military and studio equipment that is left on continuously. . Others point to the finite lifespan of tubes, resistors, transformers.
Can't we agree on anything?? How about the relative value of high and low end speaker wire and audio cables?

That wasn't you, that was the band of teenagers that broke into your house and listened to your system over the weekend while you were gone. Just be thankful they didn't look in your bedroom drawers.
  • Like 1

That wasn't you, that was the band of teenagers that broke into your house and listened to your system over the weekend while you were gone. Just be thankful they didn't look in your bedroom drawers.

Oh Jimbo boy. The quips that come to mind.

I keep my amp on all the time.  It has a standby mode which is designed to kick on when triggered by a signal, but at low volumes on highly sensitive Klipsch speakers, it will trigger back off after a set amount of time while I am using it.  Therefore I keep it on but turn the pre amp off and on.  It's not a tube amp however, if this makes any difference. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

I keep my amp on all the time.  It has a standby mode which is designed to kick on when triggered by a signal, but at low volumes on highly sensitive Klipsch speakers, it will trigger back off after a set amount of time while I am using it.  Therefore I keep it on but turn the pre amp off and on.  It's not a tube amp however, if this makes any difference. 

A SS amp with a standby mode is an entirely different animal than a tube amp.  There really is no good reason to keep a tube amp powered on all the time, unless you just need an extra space heater....I power my gear on approx. 15 minutes before use to warm up and stabilize, and then turn off when listening is done.

I would rather not leave anything on but, it happens.  Sometimes I will go to the store and leave the gear on or forget to shut something off and go to bed.  I can't tell that any damages as been done.  I have not had to replace a single tube or SS amp in the past five years due to this occasional error.  I have even fell asleep with the tube am on and the ablum done for hours.  If anything, I wish some of the tube would go south so I could try another brand or type.

Just think about it, a good 2 ch setup or radio will out last a TV for years on longevity and enjoyment.

Power tubes will wear out sooner than the little tubes so leaving them on can shorten their life a bit.  However, the big qualifier is if the equipment is old and un-restored.  I would never leave the house, and am reluctant to leave the room, with unrestored tube equipment on.

Sixty year old stuff needs attention. Period.

• Like 1