Recommendations For Shipping LaScalas

nola

I have a pair of LaScalas IIs at my parents house in South Florida (please see separate post regarding sale of 1994 LaScala's). If I do not sell them, it would mean driving them out of FL in a rented SUV, van, or pick up truck vs shipping them.

I assume various folks here have shipped large speakers like these via one of the freight companies before. Old Dominion, Con Way, are some companies that I have heard of. Likely for palletized freight. Any suggestions regarding shipping / freighting La Scalas?

Also, any potential discounts to use.

Thx in advance

From Nola with love

Easy enough to get shipping quotes by calling around to the MANY independent shipping companies... you need to figure out total pieces and weights. The weight for each is easy 175lbs each plus 25-30 for the pallets. You would be well advised to put each speaker on its own pallet instead of trying to fit two on an oversized pallet, so that's three pallets.

Whatever you do, don't use FedEx or ups... unless it's their freight division.

Three pallets @ 225-250 lbs each. I think all the shippers, at this palletized point, will do a decent job of not making sure they are stacked or gouged... I've many things this way including palletized motorcycles and have never gotten damages... not the same can be said for ups or FedEx.

• Like 1

In brief, looks like shipping LaScala Is (not IIs, oops,,,)  from south FL to DC area with me placing them on a single pallet (not 1 pallet per speaker) will be about $500.00, via call to Freightquote. The trucker uses some type of jack to lift them onto and lower them off the truck.

Greg at Volti Audio was wonderful in offering me the contact advice above :):) 

So I will likely either try harder for local sale in FL or drive them up. The car rental companies have very cheap one way rates out of many FL cities to reposition cars in April and May. So if I can get both into a smaller SUV or minivan, the 1 way rate is under 100- for 3 days. Full size SUV would be about $500 for 2 days, yikes :(

NOLA

41 minutes ago, nola said:

In brief, looks like shipping LaScala Is (not IIs, oops,,,)  from south FL to DC area with me placing them on a single pallet (not 1 pallet per speaker) will be about $500.00, via call to Freightquote. The trucker uses some type of jack to lift them onto and lower them off the truck.

The jack you mention is a lift gate.  

I'd be surprised if that quote is accurate.  LaScala's weigh what, 175 pounds each.  After boxing and pallet you're looking at probably 400+ pounds.  I get a nice discount and my cheapest carrier would still charge $438 from Ft. Lauderdale to DC, liftgate on both ends, figuring 400 pounds, and that's direct.  Freightquote usually has a nice markup on top of that.  

JoeDirt, thanks for the offer that I might have to respectfully refuse :)

Has anyone ever moved /  transported LaScalas using one of the mid size or smaller SUVs? Getting a big or full size / premium SUV from So FL to NE US will be about $250/day. However smaller / mid sized SUVs like Toyota Rav4, Nissan Rogue, and maybe Chevy Traverse or GMC Terrain might be $30/day. Huge difference in cost. No way to know in advance what I might actually get at a car rental counter. Minivan like a Dodge Caravan should work just fine for moving LaScalas from what folks have told me, but apparently a much higher lift or requires removing seats, etc.

Any advice appreciated (in case local sale in West Palm Beach area next Friday does not work out).

Thx all

NOLA

19 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

I transported a pair of Belles in a 2012 Ford Escape.  Barely fit, but they fit.  Belles are wider side to side than LS.  Recommend you take a bunch of measurements of your speakers.

You wanna drive to Columbia MO and pick up some LaScalas with me?

All the beer and crack fries you can eat plus fuel. :P

You know my small car wont fit them.

Or I can rent a van and you can be the wing man.

On 4/5/2017 at 1:11 PM, MetropolisLakeOutfitters said:

The jack you mention is a lift gate.  

I'd be surprised if that quote is accurate.  LaScala's weigh what, 175 pounds each. 

i thought they weigh 125 ea.

If your vehicle is set up for towing, then just rent a U-Haul enclosed trailer for a one-way trip.  If you have a pick-up truck and the weather prediction is for fair weather with sunny skies along the travel route, just take some shrink wrap, run it around each speaker separately (in order to protect the finish) then take a large sheet of corrugated cardboard and cut a piece to fit between them (face to face) and wrap enough shrink wrap around them to secure them to each other, then put cardboard all around them to include on top of them, and shrink wrap them together again...too easy!  Do the initial shrink wrapping prior to loading them and do the rest of the packaging (putting them together face-to-face, etc.) AFTER loading them...strap them down, and enjoy the scenic trip.  Take your expenses (mileage at $0.55 per mile and everything else) plus a bit of boot and charge that as shipping expenses to the buyer.

This way you get a two or three day round trip excursion out of the deal, a scenic drive, and you can see the sights on the way back, taking your time.

If you plan to stay overnight somewhere along the way PRIOR TO delivery, an ENCLOSED CARRY is much wiser so that nothing gets ripped-off out of the back of the truck.  Enclosed carry is in a van or enclosed trailer.

Thx for the tips !!  Never knew a Prius V would take LS Is. Pick up trucks as a 1 way rental would be about $200+ per day. When I bought these in Melbourne FL I think I had rented a big SUV for the 3 hr trip to the West Palm Beach area. I have no great memory of the trip except that I was glad to have the big SUV and the seller for lifting help. I would keep them if taken to the DC area where I now work. Each LS I should weigh a bit over 100 lbs without any "packaging". My preference is do the trip by SUV as the lift into a minivan seems more difficult. I also looked at a Minivan and moving / removing seats could be a problem. As a rental, you cannot predict in advance what a car rental place will provide when you arrive. I made a minivan reservation as well, just in case.

Any further comments appreciated. Of course, feel free to see these boys in the West Palm area next Friday :)

NOLA

You can rent a stow and go seating mini van, the seats fold flat and the lift is easier than an SUV.

Loading a pair of La Scala in the Prius V isn't bad with 2 people and unloading is OK for me alone.

The La Scala specs are 123lbs.  The La Scala pro were about 175, much harder to manage.