help on choosing integrated amp for a pair of cornwall llls

12 hours ago, oldred said:

You know.....what integrated amp is a good question....

Definitely NOT Rotel 1570...a definite known internal issue that caused a popping or crackling sound.  It could start as soon as a week or as long as 5 months.

Nad...I agree about the lifelessness in some models...but I am not an expert on the brand

Id probably look into the Yamaha's.... Or maybe something different like Schiit Audio Ragnarok its only 50 watts....but after all we all use very efficient speakers.

I also am kind of shopping around for an integrated....but not in a hurry...My MX-800 is doing the job for now

George,

I had not heard of any issues with the Rotel RA-1570, but looks like the OP is going with the Yamaha or Marantz anyway.

As a side note, like most other hobbies, you will get a wide range of opinions based on folks experiences and biases. 

For example, I’ve had nothing but great experiences with several Rotel pieces (knock wood), so I have a bit of bias towards Rotel.  On the other hand, I had nothing but trouble with several NAD pieces, so I have a bias against NAD.  I’m sure other folks have had nothing but great experiences with NAD gear.

To the OP, can you purchase the Yamaha and Marantz, try them both, keep the one you like best, and return the other?  This could give you some peace of mind, and could be worth the cost of any return shipping charges.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, adam2434 said:

I’m sure other folks have had nothing but great experiences with NAD gear.

I am one of them.  All NAD gear has been stellar.  Though I have heard the reliability complaints around the web.

Bill

• Like 1

3 hours ago, adam2434 said:

I had not heard of any issues with the Rotel RA-1570, but looks like the OP is going with the Yamaha or Marantz anyway.

As a side note, like most other hobbies, you will get a wide range of opinions based on folks experiences and biases. 

For example, I’ve had nothing but great experiences with several Rotel pieces (knock wood), so I have a bit of bias towards Rotel.  On the other hand, I had nothing but trouble with several NAD pieces, so I have a bias against NAD.  I’m sure other folks have had nothing but great experiences with NAD gear.

To the OP, can you purchase the Yamaha and Marantz, try them both, keep the one you like best, and return the other?  This could give you some peace of mind, and could be worth the cost of any return shipping charges.

I second the idea about purchasing something you think will be a fit for you from a dealer that has a good return policy. In my experience Crutchfield is awesome in that regard. You get 60 days to try it out - that's a good long while to decide if you like it or you don't and the return fee is not full shipping price, I think it is like 10 bucks or so. There are other good Internet dealers that are comparable. There is really no substitute for hearing it in your room. Cornwalls are pretty forgiving and will sound good with a number of amplifiers and obviously don't require a ton of power.

On Tuesday, April 04, 2017 at 10:52 AM, PuMpKiNh3aD said:

i plan on getting a pair of cornwall llls and was just wondering what integrated amps would be a good match with them in the $1000-1500 range.what would you prefer with them in that range out of marantz,yamaha, ect? this will be mainly for 2 ch music.i love music and klipsch but wouldnt consider myself an audiophile.thank you! any other suggestions are welcome btw :)

Welcome to the forum.  You could get an excellent receiver which would make your Cornwalls really shine...for way less than the money you are talking about...and have the added advantage of FM stereo capability added.  Also, the term "medium-sized" for a room is not telling us much...better to use dimensions of room for that.

16 hours ago, PuMpKiNh3aD said:

that raises another question.with cornwalls being so high sensitivity do i really need an integrated that does 100+watts a channel? i was looking at the marantz 8005 integrated but its only 75 watts a channel

You can rock a house with Cornwalls and a QUALITY amplifier section that is only rated at 25 WPC or less!  As PWK would say:  Pay a bit more for EFFICIENT speakers, so that you won't have to pay as much for the amplifier power NEEDED FOR those efficient speakers!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, PuMpKiNh3aD said:

im choosing between the anthem 225 integrated and the yamaha a-s2000.any experience with either? can get the anthem new for 1180 and the yamaha new for 1450.both with the full warrantys

I am equally a fan of both brands having owned one of Anthem's MCA amps and one of the PVA amps. 

You know my view on the Yamaha A-S1000, the A-S2000 is known to be a little bit more refined than the 1000.

Bill

1 minute ago, PuMpKiNh3aD said:

i can get the yamaha a-s1000 for 999.is it worth 450 more to get the 2000? what would be the main differences on a pair of cornwalls? more clean power ect?

You know, I am very happy with my 1000 but if a good(very) deal came my way on a 2000, I would probably switch.

Bill

older NAD was really good. one test on a 40wpc amplifier here shows it having WAY beyond it's rated power. one favorite of mine is the harman kardon HK990. it has optical inputs and is designed like a real amplifier. they sell around 800-900 used. you also can get into krell and mark levinson used starting around your budget. a 100wpc krell class a/b integrated sold locally for $1000 last week. i'm honestly not sure on new but marantz and yamaha make what's most commonly available. if you go that way try and demo both before purchase 

I also bought a Rotel amp from Hanson AV in Dayton, OH a year or so ago, and it is a fine amp... 120 watts per channel!  

I WOULD recommend going the tube route though.  Recently, I made the move from a pair of Wharfedale Jade 5's to a pair of 1972 Cornwall iis and couldn't be happier. Although the Cornwalls sounded great with the Rotel, I thoroughly enjoyed the sound from the recently acquired Octave V70SE tube amp (thanks again, Hanson's).  

Edited by cadeallaw

1 hour ago, cadeallaw said:

I also bought a Rotel amp from Hanson AV in Dayton, OH a year or so ago, and it is a fine amp... 120 watts per channel!  

I WOULD recommend going the tube route though.  Recently, I made the move from a pair of Wharfedale Jade 5's to a pair of 1972 Cornwall iis and couldn't be happier. Although the Cornwalls sounded great with the Rotel, I thoroughly enjoyed the sound from the recently acquired Octave V70SE tube amp (thanks again, Hanson's).  

that's money though. a higher end 25wpc tube integrated is $1500 like http://echohifi.com/details/9905/Manley-Laboratories_Stingray

echo is also closing out the pathos line of hybrid tube amps like this one http://echohifi.com/details/10827/Pathos-Acoustics_Classic-Remix

i've heard that pathos 70wpc and liked it. warm, tonally neutral. no weird behavior but with some punch on dynamics 

2 hours ago, racebum said:

older NAD was really good. one test on a 40wpc amplifier here shows it having WAY beyond it's rated power. one favorite of mine is the harman kardon HK990. it has optical inputs and is designed like a real amplifier. they sell around 800-900 used. you also can get into krell and mark levinson used starting around your budget. a 100wpc krell class a/b integrated sold locally for $1000 last week. i'm honestly not sure on new but marantz and yamaha make what's most commonly available. if you go that way try and demo both before purchase 

Yeah, I have a 7240PE running my office system, powering my KG 1.5s. Love it!

Can't say that about a C356BEE, which sounded good with my Epics - until it started to run hot and stop taking remote control commands, one day. :(

• Like 1