Dynaco MKIII...

Schu

I don't know enough about SET's to make  detailed comments but, the big difference between the triode based and push-pull based amp is the flow of power determined by the amp topology.  100% on vs alternating.  Also, the production of even ordered harmonics should be mention.  The amp I use is an ultralinear triode/Pentode.  This is suppose to operate in class A, similar to a set at lower power use levels and switch to a push-pull at higher power demand.  

This appears to be the best of both type of amps.  But, that can't be said since there are many other factors effecting the final sound inherent to the different amp designs. 

Anyone care to comment on this, please do.  Learning a bit more between the different class of amps is always refreshing.

1 hour ago, derrickdj1 said:

I don't know enough about SET's to make  detailed comments but, the big difference between the triode based and push-pull based amp is the flow of power determined by the amp topology.  100% on vs alternating.  Also, the production of even ordered harmonics should be mention.  The amp I use is an ultralinear triode/Pentode.  This is suppose to operate in class A, similar to a set at lower power use levels and switch to a push-pull at higher power demand.  

This appears to be the best of both type of amps.  But, that can't be said since there are many other factors effecting the final sound inherent to the different amp designs. 

Anyone care to comment on this, please do.  Learning a bit more between the different class of amps is always refreshing.

. Class A has really nothing to do with an amps topology single ended or push pull other then that a single ended amplifier has to be Class A (single tube always conducting). Push Pull can be class A, Class A/B, Class B and so on. The push pull amp you are describing is Class A/B it operates in class A for some small percentage of its max power rating in both Triode or Pentode than switches in and out of class B as the situation demands more power. By the way I bet you a dime to a dollar your amp is not Triode/Pentode and is Triode/Ultra Linear. Recently I've seen many folks and even some manufacturers referring to amplifiers as Triode/Pentode. It would be seriously unusual and complicated to "properly" implement a Triode/Pentode combination because the required feedback tuning would be very different between two modes of operation. Triode and Ultra Linear operation is very similar.  

I know this stuff can be confusing. .     

• Like 2

Thanks Craig for the nice explanation.  You are correct, it is ultralinear.  I have not honestly heard a set amp or single ended amp to pick out the sonic differences.  I will be on the look out this year to do that.  The one thing that I think I know is mate the amp with the speakers.  Full horn loaded speakers will work better with the 2-8 watt amps.

schu, I have owned many of these over the years, and they sound quite good for what they are. (IF they are in good shape) But for high effeciency speakers at reasonable volume levels? I'd bet dollars to doughnuts any DH sounds much better, at least in the midrange and highs. 

15 minutes ago, Hal said:

schu, I have owned many of these over the years, and they sound quite good for what they are. (IF they are in good shape) But for high effeciency speakers at reasonable volume levels? I'd bet dollars to doughnuts any DH sounds much better, at least in the midrange and highs. 

That is exactly where you want to be with a system.  Correcting or tailoring the bass is much easier than correcting the midrange and Hi's.  You only have to deal with one or two octaves compared to the rest of the frequency spectrum.

• Like 1