Dynaco MKIII...

Schu

I am looking for input on the Dynaco MK III monoblocks... there happens to be a set available near me for $900 obo. I understand that kits are around 675$, but these are supposedly plug and play.

00K0K_2z9IEDJRVNX_1200x900.jpg

Anyone ever built these or heard them?

To me the Iron doesnt look that good.

Doesn't sound like too bad of a deal. If the bias is set right, shouldn't be a problem. Plus there are so many upgrades and mods available. These hang in there with McIntosh MC75'S. Hard to believe. But true.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Schu said:

I am looking for input on the Dynaco MK III monoblocks... there happens to be a set available near me for $900 obo. I understand that kits are around 675$, but these are supposedly plug and play.

00K0K_2z9IEDJRVNX_1200x900.jpg

Anyone ever built these or heard them?

To me the Iron doesnt look that good.

I've heard the modern kit build of this amp. It was built by a local tube audio tech. Good but not great sounding to my ears with his Cornwalls in his listening room. He was not happy with the sound either. I don't know if he kept them and modified them or sold them off.

Those look to be original 1960-70's Dynaco Mark III's to me. They do look to be near original with little work done to them, the only thing I can see that has been replaced up top is the one single yellow colored cap on the circuit board per amp. The two black colored caps on each circuit board are original vintage caps that should absolutely be replaced. Pairs of original iron Mark III do not come up often these days and $900 is a good deal on the pair even if they do need refurbishment. I would want to confirm the output transformer have "cloth leads" which would means "made in the USA' the later plastic insulated lead transformers were made in China. But do realize this pair sooner or later will require work. A picture with the bottom cover off would really help. 

• Like 3

I think Craig is correct and these are original. I would like to know when theplastic leads started showing up on these. My ST-70 trannies have plastic insulated leads, but I got it from someone who built it from a kit  between '70-'73.

Bruce

Not that I need them (given I have a restored/upgraded pair) but if I had the cash sitting around, I would jump on these myself.  A few bucks and these would be killer given the NOS Treatment or OTS mods readily available.  I love my Eico but nothing quite like a JM or NBS powering a set of Mark III's upgraded, or redesigned (VRD's).  I remember a time when all anyone wanted (or needed) was a NBS and VRD's.