Pricing help

Lancia

Hello everyone! Can you help me price out some rosewood klipschhorns and belle center?

Here's the story: My grandfather was quite the Klipsch collector. He worked in hi-fi business for decades in the 60s and 70's. He was meticulous about sound, a true audiophile. He was a professional photographer and toured the factory and took hundreds of photos of Paul, his family and various workers (must have been in the 70's judging by the clothing)

Anyway, he passed away last year. My grandma is now needing to sell his speakers and all his klipsch newsletters, product flyers, photos and negatives.

The trouble is, I don't know what to price everything. Ideally it could all go as a lot.

For a collector, these are a great addition,l and probably worth quite a lot. The k horns are marked by pwk himself, so that might add to their value.

Here are some photos. Please advise me on what a fair price would be. 46414545715a446d26ef994c3605d6e4.jpg498322dd5e5e7c3e65626e8e4fb3f2d4.jpg9a6057623af154b18fb0c7484333a645.jpg4d3a5939906436a3895018d88803284a.jpg71f3ac3af3418b481bcae41660ddc477.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Those are beautiful! Good luck with your sale. I will gladly take them off your hands! Usually location plays into price point as well. Welcome to the forum! 

Thanks! They are in western Washington.

I guess that's the other thing I have to look into: shipping. This could get complicated...

I have not done a lot of shipping, but DONT go through UPS or FedEx! There are plenty of freight companies out there that will take care of them for you. I had a pair of LaScalas shipped recently. They came and picked them up out of the guys house, crated and shipped and white glove delivered from Missouri to PA for not to much. I believe it was around $400. Now thats white glove service and up a flight of stairs. Its cheaper than you might think. Call around when it gets to that point, OR make the buyer deal with the headache! 

• Like 1

Hi Lancia, and welcome to the forum.  I would highly recommend you contact Mr. Jim Hunter, @JRHwho is the Klipsch Historian, regarding your grandfathers photos, negatives, and other documentation.  There is a section on this forum called Ask the Historian, or you can send him a private message.

Amazing Khorns by the way!!

• Like 1

Hi Lancia, and welcome to the forum.  I would highly recommend you contact Mr. Jim Hunter, [mention=25878]JRH[/mention]who is the Klipsch Historian, regarding your grandfathers photos, negatives, and other documentation.  There is a section on this forum called Ask the Historian, or you can send him a private message.

Thanks! That's a great idea.

Amazing Khorns by the way!!

Looks like you've got the Holy Grail of signatures.  In addition to PWK you have Bob Moers, then President of K&A.  Price will be positively affected, but condition is also important.  It looks like you have a bubble on the top edge veneer that is likely repairable.  A good review of eBay would probably be in order.  If I had to GUESS, the pair in good condition could bring anywhere from $4000 - $8000.  The Belle looks to be cherry, and they are bringing close to $2000 at times. 

From the serial number the K-horns were built in 1973.  If you could supply your grandfather's name (here or privately) I can check to see if he already appears in the archives.

As for the paper and photo documentation, the Klipsch Heritage Museum Association, Inc. (a non-profit spun off from Klipsch Group, Inc. last year) would be most interested in reviewing the group, and possibly adding it electronically to our archives.  We do not currently have financial resources to make an outright offer, but obviously any donation (or loan for scanning) would be most appreciated. 

• Like 2

Looks like you've got the Holy Grail of signatures.  In addition to PWK you have Bob Moers, then President of K&A.  Price will be positively affected, but condition is also important.  It looks like you have a bubble on the top edge veneer that is likely repairable.  A good review of eBay would probably be in order.  If I had to GUESS, the pair in good condition could bring anywhere from $4000 - $8000.  The Belle looks to be cherry, and they are bringing close to $2000 at times. 

From the serial number the K-horns were built in 1973.  If you could supply your grandfather's name (here or privately) I can check to see if he already appears in the archives.

As for the paper and photo documentation, the Klipsch Heritage Museum Association, Inc. (a non-profit spun off from Klipsch Group, Inc. last year) would be most interested in reviewing the group, and possibly adding it electronically to our archives.  We do not currently have financial resources to make an outright offer, but obviously any donation (or loan for scanning) would be most appreciated. 

Thanks so much for your thoughtful reply. My grandfathers name is Jack/John Thornton.

It is remarkable the condition those were kept in!  Although I am sure money will be the key factor make sure they go to someone who will take great care of them too, they are the nicest looking ones I have ever seen!  

I wish my grandpa were here to sell them. (Of course, then we wouldn't need to sell) because he would thoroughly elect the person and the space they are going into. He would probably spend hours going over proper setup. He was a true fanatic!

We have at least one photo of Jack with PWK in 1975.  Probably have correspondence too.

I know there's a handful of photostat them together. I remember him showing me when I was a kid. He thought of PWK as a celebrity, but as a little kid I didn't appreciate it at all.

42 minutes ago, Lancia said:

You're probably right. But grandma needs the money and this way the family doesn't have to fight over who gets them.

Whomever ponies up and gives Grandma what they"re worth gets 'em. There is no fighting involved that way. Unlessen a course none of you like listenin' ta music.:)

• Like 2

Those are beauties.  Sorry for the loss of your grandfather.

+++

Since Mr. Innocent_George has said he is interested in a purchase, I would respectfully decline to discuss prices.  There is plenty of research information in this forum and there are other places you can check to find comparable prices.

Others in this thread have given you feedback on how to grade the finish and they are giving you expert advice.  I saw the pic where PWK marked the speaker.  We have seen that before in this forum.  Although that is super cool it does not translate into a higher selling price.

• Like 1

Those are beauties.  Sorry for the loss of your grandfather.

+++

Since Mr. Innocent_George has said he is interested in a purchase, I would respectfully decline to discuss prices.  There is plenty of research information in this forum and there are other places you can check to find comparable prices.

Others in this thread have given you feedback on how to grade the finish and they are giving you expert advice.  I saw the pic where PWK marked the speaker.  We have seen that before in this forum.  Although that is super cool it does not translate into a higher selling price.

I wish I could! I have embarked on a LaScala restoration in RoseWood as well, and it was hard enough to talk the fiancé into those. I hope they turn out half as good as these look! So please don't hold anything on account of me! And please, it's Graham. Mr Innocent George is my Father !

• Like 2