RF-5 with Onkyo TX-NR646 avr?

burninator

Hello all,

I'm looking to upgrade my Synergy F-20 towers and came upon a great deal on some RF-5s locally. I'm wondering if my TX-NR646 will be powerful enough to use these speakers safely. I would imagine that the high sensitivity of these speakers means I'll be fine (though my setup wouldn't be optimal), but I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by burninator

Your thinking is correct, the Onk 646 will be fine.  I have the Onk 717 which is 95% the same as yours except yours is the newer upgraded version.  The 100 wpc power is virtually the same in each AVR.

The 646 will easily be able to play loud enough to drive most wives out of the room and leave you with a smile on your face.

Just remember to run the AccuEq when you integrate the RF-5's.  That will make the new and old speakers play nice with each other.

3 hours ago, burninator said:

Awesome, thanks for the reply.

I'll be starting fresh with these speakers. Looking at a R-25C for center and an R-10SW for sub. My current center and sub are from an old HD Theater 300 system and are in dire need of an upgrade.

Pass on both of those.  The R-25C won't keep up with the RF-5's, and the R-10SW will leave you wanting for something more.  Look for an RSW sub, or one of the R-112's or 115's instead.

For centers, I have an RC-3 II that I'm selling that is matched with the RF-3's and 5's if you are interested.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, IbizaFlame said:

Pass on both of those.  The R-25C won't keep up with the RF-5's, and the R-10SW will leave you wanting for something more.  Look for an RSW sub, or one of the R-112's or 115's instead.

For centers, I have an RC-3 II that I'm selling that is matched with the RF-3's and 5's if you are interested.

Yeah I found with some more research that those wouldn't be a great match.

Now looking at an RC-62 ii and an R-110SW or possibly an R-112SW. I'm upgrading from a Sub 8, so any upgrade will be a huge difference.

I may be interested in that RC-3 ii. Send me a message if you want.

• Like 1

The 62 is a beast - I'm not sure how well it'll timbre match though.  I hated my 52 when I had it paired with my 3's - that's why I switched it over to the RC-3.

Here's the sale thread:

It's been sitting long enough I'm a bit more flexible with it.

The RF-5's are perfect with the RC-7 and make an excellent front stage for HT. I have had my RF-5's a long time I love em.

If you are looking for surrounds I have a pair of mint like new RS-3's I am selling, they are great surrounds with the RF-5's.

• Like 1