Klipsch Sub 12 vs R-112SW

algernonIp

4 minutes ago, derrickdj1 said:

There is no preparing, the part are A- G or H so you don't even have to know all your ABC's.  They also have an instructional video that is step by step on the assembly.  Before I put my first one toghether, the only other thing I ever built was a napkin holder in the 7th grade.

Lol that sounds good for sure!

I will have to look for stores within my country though cause I think Shipping and import taxes will probably cause me to lose a big part of what I'm saving, but yeah I'm definitely looking into this.

On 4/8/2017 at 0:45 PM, algernonIp said:

Hello everyone, 

I am considering an upgrade for my Energy esw-8.

Now I am considering buying the R-112SW, however I have not been able to find many reviews on it.

I have heard the Sub 12 in action which I liked a lot in terms of power, and they seem to be pretty similar to me (Keep in mind that I am not an expert in this field, so if I'm missing something please forgive me). Looking at the specs sheets (Sub 12) (R-112SW) it seems that

the main differences between the two are:

• 650 watts vs 600 watts dynamic power in favor of the sub 12
  • 24Hz-120Hz vs 24Hz-125Hz frequency response in favor of the R-112SW
  • Bash vs All digital amplifier for the sub 12 and the R-112SW respectively
  • Output:
    • Max continuous output sub 12: 117 dB @30 Hz 1/8 space 1 meter
    • Max acoustic output R-112SW: 118 dB
  • (Down-fire vs Front-fire for the sub 12 and the R-112SW respectively)
  • (Copper Cerametalic woofer for the R-112SW)

My sub-questions are:

1. How important is the dynamic power for the overall performance?
  2. Same for the frequency response (especially considering that the difference in frequency is in the higher end)
  3. What is the difference between Bash and All Digital and which performs better?
  4. Is the output information given on both spec sheets comparable? and if yes, which one has a higher significance (and thus gives the edge to the respective subwoofer)?
  5. Does the material of the woofer make a difference in sound/performance

and then my main question is of course:

In terms of performance, which of the two is better?

The Receiver I am using is the Denon AVR-1912 (will probably upgrade in the future, but I don't know within what time-frame)

I am aware of the fact that the Sub 12 has been discontinued, but in the case that the Sub 12 is significantly better buying second hand would be an option or saving up for the R-115SW and upgrading the Receiver proportionally(The latter not being preferred in terms of financial resource management but if the upgrade isn't worth it and the sub 12 not available it's better to save up and wait as to me this is a long-term investment). 

Thanks in advance!

(Tldr; see main question ^_^)

The Sub 12 turns to mud over 50 Hz, the R-112SW fairs a bit better, much depends on the mains and crossover point.

• Like 1

I have a Sub 12 in a smaller space and I enjoy it very much. It gives nice weight to the sound (paired with Heresy 2) without any obvious frequency bumps. It's definitely better with speakers that have some bass weight of their own, I think if you paired it with speakers too small then you'd probably wish you'd gotten a nicer one.

Music wise I've used it with anything from loud, bassy K-pop to big band and jazz and it does well with both. Blended well, it doesn't sound separate from the speakers.

Video games are about as close as I get to home theater use and it's always done nicely there too. I like to turn up my preamp's bass tone control all the way when I play Star Fox Zero; it's like you're there!

I can't compare to the R-112, but I can say I've never felt compelled to upgrade. I also bought it secondhand rather inexpensively, which was a bonus. They do have reliability issues, but chances are if you find one that hasn't broken by now, it should be in the clear.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, jason str said:

The Sub 12 turns to mud over 50 Hz, the R-112SW fairs a bit better, much depends on the mains and crossover point.

2 hours ago, chriswhotakesphotos said:

I have a Sub 12 in a smaller space and I enjoy it very much. It gives nice weight to the sound (paired with Heresy 2) without any obvious frequency bumps. It's definitely better with speakers that have some bass weight of their own, I think if you paired it with speakers too small then you'd probably wish you'd gotten a nicer one.

Music wise I've used it with anything from loud, bassy K-pop to big band and jazz and it does well with both. Blended well, it doesn't sound separate from the speakers.

Video games are about as close as I get to home theater use and it's always done nicely there too. I like to turn up my preamp's bass tone control all the way when I play Star Fox Zero; it's like you're there!

I can't compare to the R-112, but I can say I've never felt compelled to upgrade. I also bought it secondhand rather inexpensively, which was a bonus. They do have reliability issues, but chances are if you find one that hasn't broken by now, it should be in the clear.

Thank you for both your feedback! It is definitely reassuring to know. My original issue was mostly that I didn't know whether the older model might outperform the newer one, but based on your opinion and derrickdj1's I am pretty confident that the R-112SW is the better choice of the two, maybe just a little but I think that it would be worth the investment, and in case I come across a significantly less expensive (secondhand maybe?) Sub 12 this would also be a option worth considering. 

I'm also still considering a DIY subwoofer. Personally I am kind of excited about building my own, however it takes a lot of time(which I don't have at the moment unfortunately), and having klipsch speakers does have an advantage in the fact that my other speakers are also all klipsch speakers(except for my rear speakers). Not sure if that would be only aesthetically pleasing, though I could imagine that using the same brand speakers will also yield a better "synergy" between the speakers? 

(Can anyone confirm whether this is true or not? :))

Also, does anyone happen to know if there exist complete speaker kits for Klipsch speakers as well?
I have not been able to find them so far unfortunately.
But If they do, then that would be Ideal for me in the sense that I could save up money, and still have matching speakers.

Sub definitely doesn't need to match brands, and I myself will probably upgrade to something from Hsu later on when I have the space.

Definitely jump on a Sub 12 if you see it for a good price, but if you see something better you'd probably like it even more. I'm planning to upgrade later because I have poor impulse control, but otherwise there's nothing about the Sub 12 that seems inadequate to me. Maybe I'll feel differently when I do upgrade, but for now it does its job well!

For the record, I paid $100 for mine. The guy who was selling it was moving to Argentina within the month and selling it cheaply was better than throwing it out. So if you meet another guy who's moving to Argentina and needs to unload a Sub 12 for $100, I say do it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chriswhotakesphotos said:

I'm planning to upgrade later because I have poor impulse control, but otherwise there's nothing about the Sub 12 that seems inadequate to me. Maybe I'll feel differently when I do upgrade, but for now it does its job well!

You are with a bunch of people with poor impulse control,lol.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone, 

Sorry for being away for this long! 

so with the advice that has been given to me I am now debating between the following two options: 

DIY
Dayton SPA 500 (540 watt at 4 ohm, click for more details)

Dayton UM12-22 (click for more details)

• 12 inch, 600 watt RMS
  • 1200 watt max
  • 20 to 1,000 Hz frequency response
  • cabinet size 3.68 ft3, bass reflex

versus

Pre-built

Klipsch R-115SW (click for more details) 

• 15 inch, 400 watt RMS
  • 800 watt max
  • 18 to 125Hz frequency response
  • 4 ft3 (recommended cabinet size)
  • bass reflex

Not counting the costs for the MDF, screws and glue this costs about 20 euros more than the Klipsch. Because the 

other tools are already present or are going to be purchased regardless of what I decide on(saw, router, clamps etc)

Looking at the stats I would think both would be somewhat similar, but I have only just started looking into subwoofers in general so I would like your opinions on these two.

My two cents are that the Dayton will play louder (4 ohm and more watts), but the klipsch R-115SW will move more air(bigger cone size) and reach lower frequencies(?)

also I would like to know if the plate amp would be sufficient enough for a bass reflex cabinet

so in short, my main questions are(TLDR):

• How do these two subs stack up against each other (Dayton um12-22 + Dayton SPA500 vs Klipsch R-115SW)? 
  • Is the Dayton SPA500 powerful enough to handle the Dayton um12-22 in a vented cabinet?

Thank you in advance!

15 minutes ago, algernonIp said:

Hello everyone, 

Sorry for being away for this long! 

so with the advice that has been given to me I am now debating between the following two options: 

DIY
Dayton SPA 500 (540 watt at 4 ohm, click for more details)

Dayton UM12-22 (click for more details)

• 12 inch, 600 watt RMS
  • 1200 watt max
  • 20 to 1,000 Hz frequency response
  • cabinet size 3.68 ft3, bass reflex

versus

Pre-built

Klipsch R-115SW (click for more details) 

• 15 inch, 400 watt RMS
  • 800 watt max
  • 18 to 125Hz frequency response
  • 4 ft3 (recommended cabinet size)
  • bass reflex

Not counting the costs for the MDF, screws and glue this costs about 20 euros more than the Klipsch. Because the 

other tools are already present or are going to be purchased regardless of what I decide on(saw, router, clamps etc)

Looking at the stats I would think both would be somewhat similar, but I have only just started looking into subwoofers in general so I would like your opinions on these two.

My two cents are that the Dayton will play louder (4 ohm and more watts), but the klipsch R-115SW will move more air(bigger cone size) and reach lower frequencies(?)

also I would like to know if the plate amp would be sufficient enough for a bass reflex cabinet

so in short, my main questions are(TLDR):

• How do these two subs stack up against each other (Dayton um12-22 + Dayton SPA500 vs Klipsch R-115SW)? 
  • Is the Dayton SPA500 powerful enough to handle the Dayton um12-22 in a vented cabinet?

Thank you in advance!

More power is only relevant if driver efficiency as well as other TS parameters was known and since Klipsch does not offer details it would only be a guess distinguishing witch model had an advantage. 

The Dayton amp would be fine to drive the UM 12" driver.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, jason str said:

More power is only relevant if driver efficiency as well as other TS parameters was known and since Klipsch does not offer details it would only be a guess distinguishing witch model had an advantage. 

The Dayton amp would be fine to drive the UM 12" driver.

Thanks! :)
Which sub would you intuitively choose? Or would you be so uncertain that you would not?

14 minutes ago, algernonIp said:

Thanks! :)
Which sub would you intuitively choose? Or would you be so uncertain that you would not?

Neither one but its not my choice.

If you want a project to have some fun build a cabinet for the Dayton, if you want plug and play buy the Klipsch.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...