Mismatched LaScalas?

Several years ago I added a split LS for center (AL Crossover) between my 76 non industrial LaScalas (AA Crossovers).  Since it seems to be the opinion of most that capacitors are way past due for replacing and tweeter and midrange titanium diagram upgrades might be in order, I wanted to ask should I be thinking about any modifications (component swaps) to get a better match between the three.  I'm guessing the woofers are different also (33's in the non industrials vs 43's in the split)?  Not anxious to spend a lot but don't want to miss out on any inexpensive improvements.  Thanks in advance for comments and suggestions.  Larry

I haven't noticed any great difference sonically between the 43 & 33. The 43 does handle a little more power and doesn't go as low as the 33 (always a tradeoff) but I have had two LS and two LSi playing together and did not notice any discernible difference. I would try to get all AA's across the three with new caps and see how that sounds.

What mid driver are they utilizing? That may also be a good idea to match up.

BUT, if it sounds good to you, don't mess with it!

No, no issues Schu, they sound good although I am about convinced the caps need replacing so while I'm at it maybe some inexpensive, easy mods that will benefit their performance.  Does anyone know if the AA's and the AL's crossover at the same frequency and if so is that something to try to correct.  Thanks MookieStl, I'm thinking the same in regards to the AA's

I own Lascala's and have listened and measured both ways, so I'll share what I've learned. The Lascala with the AL crossover attenuates the midrange -6db, while the AA attenuates the midrange -3db. Most, including myself, believe the -6bd of the AL network is a bit much, but it's really personal preference and room acoustics. However, the AL network Lascala will have a softer midrange and slightly more pronounced bass, which may or may not be helpful in the center depending upon what your objective and listening use is. Myself, I would match AA networks as John suggests, and if doing home theater, do the opposite of your situation, softer minds on the sides, more pronounced minds in the middle channel. As far as drivers, I would match those as well, as a second step. There are measurable differences between the K55v's and the K55m's on both average sensitivity (minor ~1db) and more importantly, mismatched response characteristics across the midrange frequencies. More and more, I believe in new diaphragms across the board as well. You may have a tweeter mismatch as well, but in my opinion, that much less important unless one or more tweeters are worn out. For what it's worth, I've posted some midrange comparisons with K55v and m drivers in the technical section under "comparing vintage Klipschorn Woofer and midrange performance." 

Best,

-BeFuddledInMn

Thanks John and BeFuddledInMn.  This is just what I needed to get the priorities in the right order.  First thing would be re-fresh the AA's, look for another one for center and put the AL in a box in case the next owner wants to go back to original. Mostly music by the way, CD's and Vinyl.  Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!!  Larry

Just my two cents - on my La Scales, I ended up dropping the mid to -6 dB total to tone them down a bit. I'll eventually add a switch to allow the factory setting or my mod to be chosen. Perhaps keeping the AL and move the AAs down a bit to even things out would be an option.

I like the idea of taming the mids a little, and not having to open up the hf section of that industrial.  Can I get to -6 by using different caps or some other modification in the AA's?  I'm taking a risk here of asking a dumb question but this info is so helpful.  

As an experiment, ..............  you can put a 16 ohm resistor across the squawker terminals and move the squawker + wire from the 4 terminal to the 3 terminal on the T2A autoformer.  OR disconnect the squawker wire at the terminal strip and install another one from the 3 tap to the terminal strip, replacing the one you disconnected. 

If you like it, there are proper ways to make it permanent. 

Type AA.jpg