CARVER M1.0T BRIDGED MONO?

I have a question about my Carver M1.0T amps. I have used them in the mono bridged mode pushing some Infiniti Kappa 7's. Unfortunately the amps have been in the shop twice doing this. I am sure it is mainly due to the quirky impedance of the Kappa design, along with the unstable nature of the Carver amp in the mono bridged mode. I am currently upgrading my system to incorporate the Klipsch RF-7 II and am wondering if anyone has an opinion here. Should I bridge the amps mono again or bi amp them. I do want to use them both and love the way they perform.

Thanks for the feedback. What do you mean avguytx when you say upgrade to the M-1.0t MkII Opt 002 at 460 wpc ? How and where is this done? I do like the idea of having mono amps. One can never have too much power in my opinion LOL. I just don't want to keep having problems with the Carver's. And yes jwc they do pop when running mono and  powering down, and that is rather disconcerting and annoying to me. Thank again for the comments.

How stable is the load on the new RF-7 II? I am leaning toward the vertical bi amp configuration, however am still interested how my amps will behave bridged mono without sending them out for mod's. If I do go with bi amp do you think vertical is best? My intuition says so due to the fact that each speaker will be driven by the same amp. Therefore each amp will be able to utilize its power supply to accommodate both the high and low range of the speaker. In theory providing a bit more head room than horizontal bi amp configuration.  Is this correct?

4 hours ago, DUANE GAZZIGLI said:

Thanks for the feedback. What do you mean avguytx when you say upgrade to the M-1.0t MkII Opt 002 at 460 wpc ? How and where is this done? I do like the idea of having mono amps. One can never have too much power in my opinion LOL. I just don't want to keep having problems with the Carver's. And yes jwc they do pop when running mono and  powering down, and that is rather disconcerting and annoying to me. Thank again for the comments.

Those amps need updating.  The audio repair outfit that I used is no longer in business and they were the tech guys that worked at Carver back in the day.

They were very familiar with those amps and that annoying pop that occurred when shut down.  There was an area of the amp that needs updating to get rid of it.  When I got them back....they were great.  I regret ever selling them.

As of now, there are service lines that can really do numbers on the old Carver amps.  You may consider that route.

If you're running two identical amps vertical bi-amping is the way to go. The woofers take all the power while the tweeter uses very little so vertical bi-amping will divide the load more evenly between the two amps and will be significantly less stress than using a single "woofer" amp. I believe there are a few threads here and lots of info on the web about the benefits of bi-amping / vertical bi-amping.

As far as repair shops the only one I'm aware of that deals specifically with Carver products is Hi-Tech Audio out of Oregon but I believe he has quite the back log and work load, last I heard he was 2-3 months out.

http://carveraudiorepair.com/

1 hour ago, DUANE GAZZIGLI said:

How stable is the load on the new RF-7 II? I am leaning toward the vertical bi amp configuration, however am still interested how my amps will behave bridged mono without sending them out for mod's. If I do go with bi amp do you think vertical is best? My intuition says so due to the fact that each speaker will be driven by the same amp. Therefore each amp will be able to utilize its power supply to accommodate both the high and low range of the speaker. In theory providing a bit more head room than horizontal bi amp configuration.  Is this correct?

There are some 2 ohm dips at certain frequencies that I am certain the Carver will not like.  Get a two ohm stable high current amp instead or an amp with a good amout of headroom and a solid dampening factor.

" I have a question about my Carver M1.0T amps. I have used them in the mono bridged mode pushing some Infiniti Kappa 7's. "

Do you drive your car into brick walls too?

The M1.0 will run in mono into 4Ω for a very, very, very short period of time.

It will rip your face off with a single stereo M1.0 driving a pair of RF7's.

The M1.0 only has ONE output pair that must provide all the current to drive the load, all the other outputs are in series.

That pair of outputs is only rated at 15A, and the gain drops like a rock above 8A or so.

8A is 5.6A RMS, or 32A^2 * 8Ω =256W/8Ω (in stereo).