Are heresy iii good for atmos and match my La Scala ii?

idred

I have a 7.1 system of La Scala II speakers.

I want to add 4 atmos speakers on the ceiling. My ceiling height is about 11 feet.

I was thinking about using 4 heresy iii speakers for the ceiling speakers.

Dolby atmos recommends keeping the overhead speakers similar to the rest of the speakers. Here is what they say "With this in mind, overhead speakers should complement the frequency response, output, and power-handling capabilities of the listener level speakers. Choose overhead speakers that are timbre matched as closely as possible to the primary listener-level speakers."

My question is would you consider the heresy iii a decent match to the La Scala ii speakers? Like are they timbre matched, frequency response matched, as closely as possible to the La Scala ii? Would they work well as overhead speakers to match my La Scala ii?

Obviously, it will not work out putting a La Scala ii in the ceiling to match perfectly, so I think the heresy iii will be my best bet here.

The other question is would you consider the heresy iii to be a "wide dispersion" speaker? This is because they recommend you angle the speaker to the listener if it is not wide dispersion. Not sure if the heresy iii is considered a wide dispersion speaker.

Here is what Dolby atmos says is a wide dispersion. " If the chosen overhead speakers have a wide dispersion pattern (approximately 45 degrees from the acoustical reference axis over the audio band from 100 Hz to 10 kHz or wider), then speakers may be mounted facing directly downward. For speakers with narrower dispersion patterns, those with aimable or angled elements should be angled toward the primary listening position."

Thanks for helping me out here.

Edited by idred
added info

If you can positively, securely mount the Heresy IIIs onto the supporting structure joists of your 11' high ceilings, they can be a very good with your La Scala II equipped Dolby Atmos home theater system. An additional safety strap or bracket across the front of the heavy speaker cabinet would also be wise, for safety assurance. I don't have the specs handy, but when listening to my Heresy III's they have good smooth dispersion.

IMG_3138.JPG.9ea6d5f21ad59be13cde4f0b8c8f3d3d.JPG

34 minutes ago, opusk2k9 said:

You might consider trying to find some KPT-250 speakers.

Basically, the Heresy 2? in a slanted from cabinet.

Likely not sonically very different, but probably a lot easier to mount.

KPT-250-II_-_Data_Sheet_-_v01_635814435366180000.pdf

I second this. I would even go as far as using the 'bounce' method for atmos and put these on top of your La Scalas and have them bounce off the ceiling for atmos effects.

More importantly, you have a 7.1 system with ALL La Scalas!?!

10 minutes ago, twk123 said:

More importantly, you have a 7.1 system with ALL La Scalas!?!

I agree!!  If my face was a GIF it would be one of the classic little rascals  double takes . I would have just posted one but it never seems to work out for me, the GIF never has action when I post. 

• 3 weeks later...

I started construction on mounting the Heresy III speakers in the ceiling. The one you see in the picture would be the rear right height speaker. I'll have 4 of these heresy iii speakers placed above.

The ceiling I have is tilted or cathedral type ceiling?, but I think this was good because it will angle the speaker towards the listening position better. 

I think putting these large speakers in the ceiling is the way to go, lots of people use tiny bookshelf up firing speakers but how can they compare to a large full range speaker with a 12" woofer placed right above your head high up in the proper location? 

20170427_133446_zps0dklvncf.jpg

20170427_133540_zpsomonc3nk.jpg

Edited by idred
  • Like 4

sounds & looks like a pretty cool project you have there.  good luck.

how are you going to hang/anchor/mount them to keep them where you want them?  attach or strap to a joist, or something like that?

35 minutes ago, -js- said:

sounds & looks like a pretty cool project you have there.  good luck.

how are you going to hang/anchor/mount them to keep them where you want them?  attach or strap to a joist, or something like that?

Thanks, I will update when I have them all installed.

What I plan to do is mount 4 threaded rods screwed into the wood joists using a screwed in bracket at the corners.  Then run an L bracket to hold the speaker in place. The L bracket would attach to two threaded rods.

I believe this was the best way to install them without screwing into the speakers and having a neat and clean install. 

I'll post a pic on how I mounted them once I get a speaker in place. 

nice.  I imagine that if you cushion or pad the L brackets, you might be able to find something that will protect the finish of those nice H III's just in case you take them out of the ceiling any time in the future.  that might present a challenge with resting the speakers on the brackets and still not gouging the speaker.  but there may be a happy medium in there somewhere.

good luck.  we're watching B)

this seems overkill. you could use in ceiling speakers or even mount rb61ii's which are far lighter. atomos is basically an effects speaker so the sound and presence of a larger speaker isn't going to really be utilized to the same degree as the main 5

On 5/2/2017 at 9:46 PM, racebum said:

this seems overkill. you could use in ceiling speakers or even mount rb61ii's which are far lighter. atomos is basically an effects speaker so the sound and presence of a larger speaker isn't going to really be utilized to the same degree as the main 5

I don't know for sure but I see your point. 

Actually, I think it may matter because ATMOS is object based. This means that the processor places sound in a 3d enviornment. It isn't like 5.1 where it sends certain sounds to certain speakers. In this case in a typical 5.1 dolby digital it may send less stuff to the surround channels.

With Atmos being object based this means that if you want the sound at a certain spot in the room the processor will send that same sound signal to the speakers and expects it to play equally well on all the speakers. Atmos would need equally matched speakers to sound well and give you that 3d object based sound to move around the room.

Edited by idred

Finally got the rear two speakers up and mounted. They sound awesome when playing stereo music from them. You really hear the low end sounds being very directional coming from their location. This is why I can't see how you can use up firing speakers.

Is this overkill, I don't know but maybe. But these fit with the rest of the system and if a movie calls for some serious sound coming from above these will handle it, while a small speaker will not. You just can't get the same bass from a tiny speaker and the bass is somewhat directional.

These are mounted where there shouldn't be any damage to the speaker cabinet. They just sit on two angle brackets and I put 3 layers of electrical tape where they lay on the angle brackets. Very secure also, it would take 3 threaded rods to fail for the speaker to fall out, never going to happen. 

I still need to mount the front 2 speakers before playing atmos movies. 

20170508_183849_zpsohtkmwv2.jpg

20170508_183839_zpsy2qrnspl.jpg

Edited by idred

2 hours ago, idred said:

I don't know for sure but I see your point. 

Actually, I think it may matter because ATMOS is object based. This means that the processor places sound in a 3d enviornment. It isn't like 5.1 where it sends certain sounds to certain speakers. In this case in a typical 5.1 dolby digital it may send less stuff to the surround channels.

With Atmos being object based this means that if you want the sound at a certain spot in the room the processor will send that same sound signal to the speakers and expects it to play equally well on all the speakers. Atmos would need equally matched speakers to sound well and give you that 3d object based sound to move around the room.

ideally you want all your speakers to have a similar sound. mixing klipsch and martin logan is going to be a bad idea no matter how you stack it. totally different tones. if you listen to a movie and what comes out of an atmos speaker it's really not a lot. it's also above what 80- 100hz? if you have an extremely trained ear then yes you want the same material and same driver on every speaker in the room. it's just one hell of a lot of money and work for special effects 

3 hours ago, racebum said:

ideally you want all your speakers to have a similar sound. mixing klipsch and martin logan is going to be a bad idea no matter how you stack it. totally different tones. if you listen to a movie and what comes out of an atmos speaker it's really not a lot. it's also above what 80- 100hz? if you have an extremely trained ear then yes you want the same material and same driver on every speaker in the room. it's just one hell of a lot of money and work for special effects 

This is why I went with the heresy because they would match the La Scala. 

Atmos recommends full range speakers, I don't believe that they would recommend this if they were only passing little to those speakers.  I also have a large room at 24' x 24'. 

What I'm going to have to do is turn off my other channels and just play the heights in atmos movies to see just how much sound is coming out of them in the intense action scenes. 

Edited by idred

3 minutes ago, The History Kid said:

So...when do we get to see the 360 view of all those La Scala's too?  I'm sure itching to see what that room looks like.

I can show this after I get my front two installed. I have everything covered right now in the room because of the installation. 

• Like 1