Are heresy iii good for atmos and match my La Scala ii?

idred

2 minutes ago, idred said:

I can show this after I get my front two installed. I have everything covered right now in the room because of the installation. 

I can only imagine it.  What do you power them with?  I know we're OT kind of, but seven LS II's is not something you hear about every day.

That looks awesome....If you paint the brackets white they would almost blend into ceiling. I was wondering how did you hold the speaker up there while putting them on the threaded rods. Only way I think you could was have someone in attic to put nuts on the threaded rod??? Or are the front brackets the only thing holding them I thought you said you were going to install threaded rod on the backs.    But NICE job either way.

10 hours ago, The History Kid said:

I can only imagine it.  What do you power them with?  I know we're OT kind of, but seven LS II's is not something you hear about every day.

Here is a picture of my front taken about a couple of months ago. I had to go with 2 La Scala for the center in phantom because 1 off to the side didn't sound centered. The 2 La scala for center sound much better. I did lots of tests for this using 1 and 2. 

The corner speakers are Klipsch Horns bought in the 80's for the room and used as the left and right channel.    

The Black boxes are Bag end subs with 4 18' woofers in each box. 

20170404_161837_zps6q9n4i7c.jpg

Edited by idred
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, idred said:

What I'm going to have to do is turn off my other channels and just play the heights in atmos movies to see just how much sound is coming out of them in the intense action scenes. 

this is what i did as well. there really isn't a lot coming from atmos. full range is kind of a bothersome term. does it mean 20 to 20 or does it mean a single 4" cone driver aka full range driver? when you look at the klipsch "atmos" speakers like the rp-140sa they are just a 4" cone with a small horn. then again that's moot if you have heritage speakers and want a perfect sonic match. on the bright side you can run 7+ channel music when you jam out :)

As an alternative for this type of thing, look at the DIY Sound Group's coaxial speakers.  $152 gets you a pro 10" woofer with an actual compression driver, and a baffle to mount it to.  Several people have used these as surrounds and Atmos speakers when they had pro cinema type speakers and flat packs are available for another $28.  

http://www.diysoundgroup.com/coaxial-speaker-kits/volt-10lx/v10-volt-lxe-kit.html

3 hours ago, racebum said:

this is what i did as well. there really isn't a lot coming from atmos. full range is kind of a bothersome term. does it mean 20 to 20 or does it mean a single 4" cone driver aka full range driver? when you look at the klipsch "atmos" speakers like the rp-140sa they are just a 4" cone with a small horn. then again that's moot if you have heritage speakers and want a perfect sonic match. on the bright side you can run 7+ channel music when you jam out :)

I agree with you and argue with my father about this all the time. I tell him that you really don't hear much coming from the surrounds. I can imagine the height speakers will be the same.

However, I still think large speakers will be better like discussed in this post I found.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-speakers/2755865-why-no-love-full-range-surround-speakers.html

Today I heard a demo at a local audio store that had 2 book shelf ceiling height speakers. I could tell the sound coming from them sounded like it was coming from a small speaker and it was lacking in power.  

I think most people never used large surround speakers and made proper comparisons. You see I also have a very large room and turn up the volume to demo my system. I also have the luxury to place large speakers around the listening area, still over 10 feet away from me all around also, because my room is a 24' x 24' room. 

If the height or surround speakers do ever call for loud sound then the larger speakers will be better. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/2/2017 at 9:46 PM, racebum said:

this seems overkill. you could use in ceiling speakers or even mount rb61ii's which are far lighter. atomos is basically an effects speaker so the sound and presence of a larger speaker isn't going to really be utilized to the same degree as the main 5

Finally got everything installed, this includes getting the new Atmos Processor.

This was a big question I also wondered about, are these speakers overkill? I still need to do more testing but I don't think they are overkill. The argument here is that the surrounds, which includes the height speakers, only play ambient sounds.

While this is true that they play ambient sounds, there are also times when they play very lound and low sounds. I shut off all my other speakers in the movie Unbroken, and there were times when planes flew overhead and other moments when the height speakers played very loud and low bass. However, lots of the time they did only play ambient sounds. If I just had some small speakers up there it definitely would not give the full impact and match with the rest of my system during those moments. 

I also noticed in Game of thrones that they play the intro music through the height speakers and it is very loud with low frequency coming out. 

We are just in the beginning of what ATMOS can do and so far I do find they use the full range of the height speakers in movies. It is true that they do play a lot of ambient sounds, but you will have those times in the movies when they use the height for full effect. I believe they will keep pushing this with future movies and I am future proofed here.

At a local sound store where I bought my processor, I heard their demo system which had a couple of small speakers for height. I can immediately tell they sounded like small bookshelf speakers, more like a car speaker than a full range Klipsch Heresy speaker. 

I still need to do a lot more testing, I need to find a good movie that plays lots of atmos sounds and then turn off all the other speakers to see how much is coming through them. But so far with doing this with Unbroken, I did find moments in the movie where they played very loud and low, and I knew immediately that there was no way some small bookshelf speakers would play those moments well. 

The thing is that even decent quality bookshelf speakers are going to run you $300-500, it really only makes sense to use a $1000 dollar speaker up there, it isn't all that much more and you are future proofed for anything that may come out with movies. I would agree putting a La Scala in the ceiling would be overkill, but I think the Heresy iii's are just right for height speakers, nice and compact but offer good sound. 

4%20speakers_zpsggg3fqnt.jpg

• Like 1