WTB: Yamaha M-series amplifier

Matthews

Anyone out there have an old Yammy collecting dust?  Specifically M-60/65/80/85 series (also MX-series).

Yammy.jpg.b1fe21ec66c763d519d283106dbf66fc.jpg

Have found a few on sleezeBay but thought I would throw it out there to the family as well.

The power hungry monsters need to be fed :blink2:

Matt ♪ ♫ ♪

• Like 2

Those are some of my favorite amps of all time.  Some other honorable mentions are the Onkyo Integra M series amps, as well as the DBX BX-1 (rare), DBX BX-3MKII, Audio Dynamics B-200, NAD 218 THX, Nakamichi PA-5 & PA-7 and all are killer amps.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Matthews said:

Anyone out there have an old Yammy collecting dust?  Specifically M-60/65/80/85 series (also MX-series).

Yammy.jpg.b1fe21ec66c763d519d283106dbf66fc.jpg

Have found a few on sleezeBay but thought I would throw it out there to the family as well.

The power hungry monsters need to be fed :blink2:

Matt ♪ ♫ ♪

That is a nice looking amp.  Gotta love those meters.  The old Onkyo's also look great with the green meter lights.:)

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, derrickdj1 said:

That is a nice looking amp.  Gotta love those meters.  The old Onkyo's also look great with the green meter lights.:)

The 85 is my favorite!  I have had both the M-80 and an Onkyo M-504 at the same time so I was able to A/B the two.  Hands down, Yamaha took the cake.  Not talking about power output but rather the actual sound of the amplifier. They are both power house's.  Comparatively, the Onkyo has a much more sterile sound and did not play as well with the RF-7's I had at the time.  Those old Yammy's are just sweet!

I have a line on an M-60 at the right price but haven't pulled the trigger yet.  Nervous that if I waste time, looking for what I really want, it will be gone.  Nervous if I pull the trigger, what I really want will immediately appear -UHG- :wacko:

Gosh, wish I still had all the SS amps that have come and gone.  Perhaps it is time to start collecting rather than buy/sell?

Matt ♪ ♫ ♪

4 minutes ago, cincymat said:

Good luck finding what you want my friend. 

I forgot to tell you, Mark.  When I picked up the 7's, Sir Mookie sent me home with a nice little Carver amp to play with your Nakamichi. Haven't had a chance to set them up yet but am looking forward to next weekends listening sessions :)   This very well may be the one reason (yours & Mookie's kindness) I am able to hold out just a little bit longer in my quest.

Matt ♪ ♫ ♪

• Like 2

I think you'll be surprised by that little Carver. If I had known you thought you needed 200 watts I would have given you the other Carver that we had to move to get that one! That's 400 wpc (1200 total watts on demand, or so it says). The one you took with you should hold you until you find the exact amp you are looking for.

Maybe you just need more efficient speakers, like the La Scalas Oh, wait.....never mind!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, MookieStl said:

Maybe you just need more efficient speakers, like the La Scalas Oh, wait.....never mind!

HaHa - very funny Sir

I will say however, am quite impressed with the 7's so far.  Just not used to my speakers digging so deep.  Pretty incredible, I am pretty darn happy with them.  I like them so much, am even letting the nice fella who bought my La Scala's come back to get the matching, cane grilled, Cherry RSW-15. He needs it more than I do.  The neighbors will be Grateful :P

Matt ♪ ♫ ♪

• Like 1

Matt,

Nice pick up....I do have an Yamaha MX series amp......Not for sale...It never gets dusty.

Many on this forum do not like the way Yamaha sounds because of the bright factor. I got to say I like the way my MX sounds.

Nice find...

George,

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, oldred said:

Nice pick up....I do have an Yamaha MX series amp......Not for sale...It never gets dusty.

Many on this forum do not like the way Yamaha sounds because of the bright factor. I got to say I like the way my MX sounds.

Nice find...

Thanks George

I have never heard any of the MX series, they are a bit later in production years.  I have had several M-series though so I know what this 60 sounds like.  And I like it :D

I am a man on a budget and think I got a pretty good deal on this little gem, $330 shipped.

Matt ♪ ♫ ♪

• Like 1

Matt,

Yea my MX was made in 1989....Decided to go with older C-70 preamp...because of the parametric eq ...and it was one of the best preamp's Yamaha made.

Price was right ....everything for about $600.00...Picked up a matching tuner for an additional 40 bucks.(still in box)

I only turn the red meters on when I demo....but that's just me.

George,

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Matthews said:

Just could not stand it anymore.  The price was right! 

Purchased a Yammy M-60 in superb condition.  Link below is of the actual amp I just bought...

YAY :D

Matt ♪ ♫ ♪

Enjoy the Yamaha, Matt. Looks sweet.

Mark

• Like 1

I am in bliss (finally & for real)

Wow, this little Nakamichi has done something I have never experienced before.  I would like to attribute it to the new, vintage Yammy but I have a lot of experience with these amps.  It is the Nak :D  For lack of a better term, the most amazing separation I have ever heard.  Simply put, incredible!  Thank you, "cincymat" !!!

yammy.thumb.jpg.1f25750c3e03810692cef1638fbf3f2c.jpg

Matt ♪ ♫ ♪

edit: now we are having fun :)  A little bi-amping fun that is.  Carver on the horns, Yammy pulling in the lower end.

plusCRVR.thumb.jpg.80fac35eff3dc5ad63ec6dafa333efd1.jpg

Sir Mookie Rocks :D

• Like 3

Lots of great info here on the amp:

http://legendaryamps.com/latest.html

I lucked into my first Yamaha amp, Yamaha MX-1000 with CX-600 on my second Klipsch speaker purchase (Forte).

I sold them to fund future purchases.

I picked up a pair of absolutely mint MX-800 in original boxes with manual.  I stupidly sold one to Bubo ( still regret parting with it)

I did get to hear my first La Scala at Bubo's house, so I started looking for my first pair of La Scala.

I later bought an MX-1000 and a CX-630 with remote, this time I was smart enough to hold onto it.

The MX-1000 has a display of the instantaneous power.  

I had them powering La Scala, Belles, and Klipschorns at ~3W, you don't want to be in the room for long.

How did the Yamaha sound with the carver preamp? I picked up one of those with a remote, si considering trying it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, opusk2k9 said:

How did the Yamaha sound with the carver preamp?

Running a Nakamichi preamp right now.  That Carver in the photo is a little TFM-15 amplifier.  I have them bi-amped, the Carver powering the horns and the Yammy on the LF.  It is sweet delight.

I later bought an MX-1000 and a CX-630 with remote, this time I was smart enough to hold onto it.

I have a Yamaha CX-800U (with remote) on the way, should be here by Tuesday.  As nice as the Nak is, I need a little more tuning flexibility as well as remote volume capability. The CX-800 has the sweet "parametric" controls. Got a pretty good deal on it, $266 shipped in EUC.

I picked up a pair of absolutely mint MX-800 in original boxes with manual.  I stupidly sold one to Bubo ( still regret parting with it)

I feel your pain.  Used to have an M-80 as well as an M-65 (both mint w/original boxes) that I regretfully sold.

After this build up and financial recovery, I am not selling anymore of my treasured amps and pre's.  I know now, from experience, that day would come, "why why why" - DOH !!!

Matt ♪ ♫ ♪

Question for you guys...I have a Yamaha M-45 (125w) that I have not used for years.  I used to drive my La Scalas with it, so maybe that will answer my question.  I now have Klipsch RF-3s, along with RC-3 and RS-3s (5.1ch system).  I am shopping for a new avr and wonder if my amp would be sufficient to power just the fronts while the avr powers everything else?  I ask because some of these new avr receivers are low on power.

Thanks